Nextpvr plugin vs native Emby DVR

cshaw88

Hello all, was wondering what (if any) advantage is gained by using the Nextpvr plugin vs Emby's built in DVR. 

I was using MCE7 for years until that PC died.  MCE7 recorded and time shifted live tv with xbox 360's as extenders.  I was also using DVRMS toolbox and showanalyzer to automatically skip commercials (which is a feature I'm really missing at this point).  I was already using Emby to organize and stream our other media. 

I've just put together a new rig with Windows 10 64bit, core i5 7400, 16gigs of ram, 250ssd + 4tb for pvr recordings (also use a 10tb NAS for media storage).  I'm using Hdhomerun prime with cable card x2. 

I have everything set up and was hoping to use Roku as extenders.  Everything is set up and works, but doesn't feel as polished as my old setup. 

In my previous set up, commercial skipping occurred almost in real time.  Unless I'm mistaken that is not possible with Emby DVR,  I was planning on adding MCE buddy to scan and remove commercials in post processing.

I looked at Nextpvr's website and didn't really notice any features that aren't possible through Emby's built in DVR.  

What I'm looking for is any input from people who have used both.  If there are real advantages to using Nextpvr then I'll go that route, but if not I like to keep it simple when possible.  Aside from MCE buddy, is there any additional software I should check out to remove commercials.  Also any tips for a relative noob in this regard are welcome. 

Thanks

Watching a show while it's recording has been very hit or miss.  As I also said, showanalyzer would work almost in real time.  I could watch an NFL game on an hour and a half delay, showanalyzer would skip commercials as we watched.

Spaceboy

Hello all, was wondering what (if any) advantage is gained by using the Nextpvr plugin vs Emby's built in DVR.

I was using MCE7 for years until that PC died. MCE7 recorded and time shifted live tv with xbox 360's as extenders. I was also using DVRMS toolbox and showanalyzer to automatically skip commercials (which is a feature I'm really missing at this point). I was already using Emby to organize and stream our other media.

I've just put together a new rig with Windows 10 64bit, core i5 7400, 16gigs of ram, 250ssd + 4tb for pvr recordings (also use a 10tb NAS for media storage). I'm using Hdhomerun prime with cable card x2.

I have everything set up and was hoping to use Roku as extenders. Everything is set up and works, but doesn't feel as polished as my old setup.

In my previous set up, commercial skipping occurred almost in real time. Unless I'm mistaken that is not possible with Emby DVR, I was planning on adding MCE buddy to scan and remove commercials in post processing.

I looked at Nextpvr's website and didn't really notice any features that aren't possible through Emby's built in DVR.

What I'm looking for is any input from people who have used both. If there are real advantages to using Nextpvr then I'll go that route, but if not I like to keep it simple when possible. Aside from MCE buddy, is there any additional software I should check out to remove commercials. Also any tips for a relative noob in this regard are welcome.

Thanks

well that’s the decision you have to make. The much better functionality and reliability of an external service or the compatibility of emby tv. Unfortunately the devs seem reluctant to commit any time to external services. It’s a take it or leave it

I use the NextPVR plugin because installing the plugin in Emby is easy and straight forward.

NextPVR is a very capable program and it can easily handle external programs like ComSkip for commercial skipping.

Also, NextPVR is (in my opinion) a very polished system and a Full featured DVR and EPG.  If NextPVR had its own Roku channel as Emby does, I'd not have to use it through Emby at all.

Thanks for the reply Bamit. That’s exactly the kind of input I was looking for. With Nextpvr, does comskip work immediately of after the recording has finished?

With Nextpvr, does comskip work immediately of after the recording has finished?

It's up to you when you run comskip in NextPVR. You can either run it while recording (via parallelprocessing.bat), or post recording (via postprocessing.bat). Playback in NextPVR itself will show commercial markers as soon as they're available (whether playing a recording while it's recording, or playing it soon after completion of the recording) 

Sounds similar to Beyond TV, which was a great piece of software. I’ve set up MCE buddy with comskip so I’ll see how that goes first. If Comskip or show analyzer start cutting off parts of out shows I’ll have to go with Next PVR. Thanks again.