.ASS subtitles not rendering

Yvese

I'm using the Emby app on my KS8000 TV. .

.ASS subtitles do not render and instead defaults to what looks like SRT. Playing the file through USB renders the subtitles correctly.

Hi there, please try again with the next release of the app, which should hopefully be very soon. Thanks !

• Like 1

Hi there, please try again with the next release of the app, which should hopefully be very soon. Thanks !

I'm guessing that release will be with the next firmware update? If so I think that's around the end of the month. I'll post back if it's fixed or not by then. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

So it's been 2 months.. app still has not updated for me. I have auto update turned on in my apps menu. This has been the case for my 65KS8000 and 49KS8000.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi. Anyway, im having issues with .ass subtitles when watching some anime. Some dialogues are not being shown whenever there are background images being translated. Btw, i am using a synology nas and samsung MU8000 TV.

Sample: 

Using emby app on samsung mu8000

5d991c1a763ab_Webpnetresizeimage.jpg

But using DS video app on same tv, dialogues are still shown as expected. 

5d991c7a1dc4b_Webpnetresizeimage1.jpg

server log.txt

Hi, the Tizen video player suppors ass/ssa subtitles, but only rendering them with plain text. I'm guessing the DS video app is probably transcoding them on their server, which we could do as well, but most users like to avoid that.

We are looking into our own rendering options for a future update. @@SamES

Thanks.

• Like 1

SamES

Actually, ass/ssa subs should be rendering like your second image so I’m not sure why you’re seeing different.

Can you please attach the media info for this item and I’ll try and reproduce? Thanks

I agree with transcoding being avoided since I don't like it as well since my synology can't handle it. I think it is not transcoding in the ds video app since moving the slider while playing the video does not cause the video to buffer.

@@SamES

Sorry, what do you mean media info? Video is Boku no Hero Academia S03E02  @00:04:07. Actually for all anime I have watched with .ass they all look like the first pic (with black background) on emby app on samsung MU8000. 

FrostByte

Sorry, what do you mean media info? 

On the server using the web client go to the details for one of the movies you are having the issue with.  Then at the bottom of that page you should see a section called "Mediainfo"

He would like a print screen of that section.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

SamES

I think the issue is because it’s embedded, this is the only way we can render it. The other option is to have the server extract it it and send it like an external sub, then we can render it the way you expect. This does have a small initial delay when playback starts which can cause some people to believe that subs are not working.

@@Luke, I assume you would prefer not to do this, although I thought we already were for internal ass/ssa subs

Btw, I have also tried the allow subtitle extraction on the fly option but it is just the same. 

But in fairness, i like using emby in comparison to plex specially in handling subttiles. Maybe I will just get an Amazon fire tv stick since on my other tv, it renders correctly. 

SamES

I don’t know how many files you have but if extract the subtitle stream manually and put it in the same folder as the movie, then you could view it as you expect.

Worth a try

miniliQuid

Hi. Anyway, im having issues with .ass subtitles when watching some anime. Some dialogues are not being shown whenever there are background images being translated. Btw, i am using a synology nas and samsung MU8000 TV.

Sample: 

Using emby app on samsung mu8000

5d991c1a763ab_Webpnetresizeimage.jpg

Have this black bar with ASS file subs as well on my Samsung

Samsung model: UE55NU7170SXXN

Samsung firmware: 1270

Yes, this will occur if it is an internal sub.

You could manually extract the sub stream and put it in the same folder as the movie, then you can select the external ass and it will play as you expect.

• Like 1

miniliQuid

Which programs are advisable? And can this be done for all files at once? Otherwise it becomes more trouble than it's worth since only samsung app seems to have trouble with it.

FrostByte

Which programs are advisable? And can this be done for all files at once? Otherwise it becomes more trouble than it's worth since only samsung app seems to have trouble with it.

See my response to your other post

• Like 1

I don’t know how many files you have but if extract the subtitle stream manually and put it in the same folder as the movie, then you could view it as you expect.

Worth a try

I have thought about it before. But kinda busy/lazy at the moment to extract almost 9k episodes.

• 4 weeks later...
tenchiowo

Thank you FrostByte for the links and I tried ripping the subtitles out of my .mkv's and renamed the .ass to the same name of the video file. But now I have the issue where it still defaults to the internal subtitle stream instead of the external. Is there any way to select the external .ass file by default instead of having to switch it on each episode? 

Thank you FrostByte for the links and I tried ripping the subtitles out of my .mkv's and renamed the .ass to the same name of the video file. But now I have the issue where it still defaults to the internal subtitle stream instead of the external. Is there any way to select the external .ass file by default instead of having to switch it on each episode? 

Have you explored the subtitle preferences for your emby user?

tenchiowo

Hi Luke, I have tried both default and smart and it didn't make a difference. It was only after I could go into the CC menu and select the external .ass file that it would display properly. Now one note about this is that once I extracted the subtitle file from the video emby sees the file as Title: Und (ASS) with no Language associated with it. I have also looked in the Metadata Manager to see if there was any way to select the external file as the default but it looks like I can only delete the external. Here is a screen shot of one of the media files with the extracted subtitle. Any help would be appreciated 

5dcaf87dce146_Media_Info.jpg