Unable to see another networked ASUSTOR NAS

Dariusz

Dariusz

So I have been pulling my hair out over this for hours now.. not sure if this is an EMBY issue or if i'm missing something.. basically i have 2 ASUSTOR NAS devices and I want to run one server on one NAS and from there link files to EMBY from both devices... the NAS running the EMBY server lets say ip 10.10.10.72 is able to add all files from it's root directories.. however when i try to access data on second NAS 10.10.10.70 to add to EMBY i can not.. when i select network option it is blank.. if i manually put in \\10.10.10.70\Media location I get message that emby requires write access.. I added full rights to this folder on 10.10.10.70 for guest, admin, and even for username i sign in as to emby.. I gave all privileges for NFS basically opened up all rights possible. . still getting same errors.. anyone here with 2 asustor nas able to run it in this config??

Dariusz

here is the log file.. I was trying a bunch of different things so there is probably quite few entries there regarding me trying to connect to second NAS.. ip 192.168.50.170 is the secondary nas i wanted to access files on.. 192.160.50.172 is the one running the server. will be easier to search this way..

Log-11-10-2017.txt

geoff511

Hi Dariusz,

I also have 2 Asustor NAS boxes but it would appear I have mine setup a little different to you.

I have Emby only on my main box. That one also has Sonarr & uTorrent/NZBGet etc. installed on it. The main box does all the d/loading and stores all the files and uses Emby as the librarian etc.

I have Kodi installed on both boxes using the Emby-Kodi Plug-in to link them to the files and play the files.

That way I can watch/listen to my library files via either box but only the main box has the files stored on it.

Files are also avail to all my computers & amps and other equip. on the network via UPnP coming from the main box.

Hope it helps.

Edited by geoff511

Dariusz

Hi Dariusz,

I also have 2 Asustor NAS boxes but it would appear I have mine setup a little different to you.

I have Emby only on my main box. That one also has Sonarr & uTorrent/NZBGet etc. installed on it. The main box does all the d/loading and stores all the files and uses Emby as the librarian etc.

I have Kodi installed on both boxes using the Emby-Kodi Plug-in to link them to the files and play the files.

That way I can watch/listen to my library files via either box but only the main box has the files stored on it.

Files are also avail to all my computers & amps and other equip. on the network via UPnP coming from the main box.

Hope it helps.

It is a very similar setup to mine.. I also have emby server only on one NAS and all my devices are talking to it.. i also am using kodi with emby installed on my devices that link to the nas running emby server over the network.. only issue I have and that is the different part in our setup is that I have a lot of data on the NAS not running the emby server and I can not get emby server to access that data so all my other devices can see it when connected to emby server.. thank you for the info!

geoff511

Sorry missed what you were trying to do.

No prob on connecting the 2 machines to share file/folders in 1 Emby setup.

Setup for example is ---   NAS1 - 192.168.1.10   Has Emby installed and most of the media files.  This machine will be accessing Music Video files stored on NAS2

NAS2 - 192.168.1.20   Has Music Videos stored in folder \Volume1\Media\Music Videos

Open ADM and select Access Control on NAS2  - Shared Folders and make sure Media - Access Rights has a Tick in the RW column for guest.

Open Emby on NAS1 and goto the Library Section to Add Media Library and Select Content Type as Music Videos

In Folder section select + Add (of course)  ...    In the Address spot where it says Folder:  type  --     smb://192.168.1.20 and click on the Refresh Icon (looks like magnifying glass), the lower section will now change to NAS2 folders.

Now just use the usual arrow selection process to select the required folder - Media/  then Music Videos/  and select OK, then any particular Library Settings you want and Save.

(Have written in very simple style to make it easier for any beginners who read this to follow as well)

Have Fun ....

Edited by geoff511

Dariusz

Sorry missed what you were trying to do.

No prob on connecting the 2 machines to share file/folders in 1 Emby setup.

Setup for example is ---   NAS1 - 192.168.1.10   Has Emby installed and most of the media files.  This machine will be accessing Music Video files stored on NAS2

NAS2 - 192.168.1.20   Has Music Videos stored in folder \Volume1\Media\Music Videos

Open ADM and select Access Control on NAS2  - Shared Folders and make sure Media - Access Rights has a Tick in the RW column for guest.

Open Emby on NAS1 and goto the Library Section to Add Media Library and Select Content Type as Music Videos

In Folder section select + Add (of course)  ...    In the Address spot where it says Folder:  type  --     smb://192.168.1.20 and click on the Refresh Icon (looks like magnifying glass), the lower section will now change to NAS2 folders.

Now just use the usual arrow selection process to select the required folder - Media/  then Music Videos/  and select OK, then any particular Library Settings you want and Save.

(Have written in very simple style to make it easier for any beginners who read this to follow as well)

Have Fun ....

Thank you for the write up.. I had the guest RW checked off for folders I needed but I checked off all just in case.. anyways, I still get nothing showing up when i try connecting to my IP for NAS2.. i get the spinning circle in emby and then it's blank below, basically sees no folders on that IP.. in emby I don't use a default admin profile.. i renamed my admin profile differently but I do not see if that would matter.. any other suggestions? 

Dariusz

Also here is my latest log.. based on what ge0ff511 posted:

NAS1 - 192.168.50.172   Has Emby installed and most of the media files.  This machine will be accessing Video files stored on NAS2

NAS2 - 192.168.50.170   Has Videos stored in folder \Volume1\Media\

Log-11-13-2017.txt

Edited by Dariusz

In this log at what time did you try to access it? Also please update to the latest version of emby server. thanks !

geoff511

Hi,

"basically sees no folders on that IP.. in emby I don't use a default admin profile.. i renamed my admin profile differently but I do not see if that would matter.."

No I don't think so either. Not sure exactly what you mean by a default profile, but I don't think the problem is in Emby, I think it is more to do with the two NAS's.

Are both of them using Admin as the main User Name or did you change it?  You can change (well should change) the password but Asustor doesn't like any other name other than "admin", the network connections just won't work properly.

Ok let's have a quick look at the Network Setup on the 2nd NAS - the one your trying to access via Emby installed on NAS 1. (but make sure NAS 1 is also OK with these settings)

Services - Windows - under File Services, you need a tick for CIFS - Enable Windows File service (CIFS/SAMBA) and the name of your workgroup:

WINS server: can be blank.

Protocol is SMB3 (Win 8) and SMB signing is Default.

Only other tick is - Enable Local Master Browser.

NFS - Tick to Enable NFS Service.

Rest shouldn't matter.

Are you using a standard network or a Domain Style setup ??  Because Domains are out of my expertise, I just have a normal network where the IP addresses are handed out via the Modem/Router and everything has it's own permanently assigned address.

On NAS 2 I also have UPnP 1 & 2 installed but can't see how that would matter.

Most likely not, but have a look in NAS 2 - Settings, ADM Defender, Network Defender, Auto Black List and make sure NAS 1 hasn't be blocked and vice versa for NAS 2 isn't blocked on NAS 1 Defender settings.

After that I'm stumped. You may need help from an Asustor User who is a little more experienced with it's handling of Network Protocols etc. on the Asustor Forum site.

Dariusz

"No I don't think so either. Not sure exactly what you mean by a default profile, but I don't think the problem is in Emby, I think it is more to do with the two NAS's.

Are both of them using Admin as the main User Name or did you change it?  You can change (well should change) the password but Asustor doesn't like any other name other than "admin", the network connections just won't work properly."

both my asustor NAS use admin, while emby uses Dariusz as admin.. i made an admin username in emby to test and had same issue still, so I do not think that matters.

Ok let's have a quick look at the Network Setup on the 2nd NAS - the one your trying to access via Emby installed on NAS 1. (but make sure NAS 1 is also OK with these settings)

Services - Windows - under File Services, you need a tick for CIFS - Enable Windows File service (CIFS/SAMBA) and the name of your workgroup:

WINS server: can be blank.

Protocol is SMB3 (Win 8) and SMB signing is Default.

Only other tick is - Enable Local Master Browser.

NFS - Tick to Enable NFS Service.

Rest shouldn't matter.

On NAS1 and 2 I enabled Local Master Browser, and on NAS1 I enabled NFS.. still no connection..

I am using a standard network, not domain network.. should be straight forward.. my NAS IPs are static and nothing was being blocked by ADM defender.. 

I am pretty much stumped as well.. not sure what else I can do.. I son't have any other issues connecting anything on my network except this.. thought maybe it's something on EMBY end.. I'm hoping maybe admin has some suggestions..

I really appreciate all the help @@geoff511

Dariusz

In this log at what time did you try to access it? Also please update to the latest version of emby server. thanks !

Here is the latest log after updating to newest version.. still can not connect,, i tried accessing the folder at 15:11 and 15:12. easiest is just to search for ip 192.168.50.170.. that's the one i am trying to access..

UPDATE**

Also I wanted to add that I was just adding some stuff to kodi and while in videos tab and trying to add a location, i opened my network smb locations and I see all my networked devices including the two ASUSTOR NAS and I can can access all the folders.. so all I can think of now is that is has to be something in emby server as kodi is able to see and have access to all my shred folders and devices in WORKGROUP..

Log-11-14-2017.txt

Edited by Dariusz

geoff511

?? mmmm ??

As long as you are putting smb:// in front of the address in the Library  - Add Media Library and the NAS settings are what I said, then it 'should' find the other NAS instantly.

Have you done a try-in-reverse ?  That is install Emby on NAS 2, leave it in it's raw or default form, and try adding a library using a folder from NAS 1 .. 

Don't go to the full extent of allowing this install to actually add and scan the folders (because with Emby who knows what NFO files etc. would be changed) but just to see if it can find NAS 1.

If it does, then compare the settings in the 2 NAS boxes, and installs etc., there must be something different.

If it doesn't, as well, then I have no idea. I have tried everything I can think of with mine, and cannot get it NOT to find the other NAS box. And have tried it in reverse as well, all good.

The only time I see the circle going round is if I leave the smb:// off or put in an address that nothing uses, otherwise it's almost instant the list of folders etc. for volume1 on the other NAS appear in the bottom section on the screen.

Dariusz

?? mmmm ??

As long as you are putting smb:// in front of the address in the Library  - Add Media Library and the NAS settings are what I said, then it 'should' find the other NAS instantly.

Have you done a try-in-reverse ?  That is install Emby on NAS 2, leave it in it's raw or default form, and try adding a library using a folder from NAS 1 .. 

Don't go to the full extent of allowing this install to actually add and scan the folders (because with Emby who knows what NFO files etc. would be changed) but just to see if it can find NAS 1.

If it does, then compare the settings in the 2 NAS boxes, and installs etc., there must be something different.

If it doesn't, as well, then I have no idea. I have tried everything I can think of with mine, and cannot get it NOT to find the other NAS box. And have tried it in reverse as well, all good.

The only time I see the circle going round is if I leave the smb:// off or put in an address that nothing uses, otherwise it's almost instant the list of folders etc. for volume1 on the other NAS appear in the bottom section on the screen.

I have tried it in reverse and it does not see the other NAS either.. sigh.. i'm stumped.. 

geoff511

Well I've tried everything to get mine to not see each other .. and the buggers keep finding the other NAS ...

Can only think that maybe network settings are different (or sub mask etc) ....        Settings - Network - Network Interface - expand details on Lan connection.

What is looking after the DHCP ?  is it the NAS or Modem or Router ?

I know when I tried using the NAS, I had all sorts of problems with some things on the network not seeing the NAS.  (I only had 1 Asustor NAS unit then)

If is modem/router have you got any manual Port Forwarding, DMZ or Port Triggering setup to the NAS? If so, disable them   and is the Sub Mask the same as the NAS boxes ?

If the network name can also be set on the modem/router - is it the same as the workgroup name you use ?

As for Emby, there are no network settings in it (well none I can find) .. so seems odd that could create the problem. It sounds as if they are on a different network or sub network to each other.

Although Windows and Kodi can see both NAS boxes, since Asustor NAS is Linux based, and Emby is using the NAS's settings, then any network discrepancy can block things.

Might sound odd, but have you tried turning them both off and the Modem/Router?  Wait a few minutes, power up Modem/Router and then power up the NAS's 1 at a time (don't start NAS 2 til NAS 1 is completely running).

With so many tries, they just may need to re-establish themselves on the Network .. stranger things have worked ...

Well have now got to the end of everything i can think of checking, without uninstalling or disabling all the apps on the NAS's except for Emby to see if some other prog is blocking things.

So good luck and leave a note here when you work out what is causing the prob .. I am really curious on cause and how you fixed it.

Good Luck.  :)

Dariusz

Well I've tried everything to get mine to not see each other .. and the buggers keep finding the other NAS ...

Can only think that maybe network settings are different (or sub mask etc) ....        Settings - Network - Network Interface - expand details on Lan connection.

What is looking after the DHCP ?  is it the NAS or Modem or Router ?

I know when I tried using the NAS, I had all sorts of problems with some things on the network not seeing the NAS.  (I only had 1 Asustor NAS unit then)

If is modem/router have you got any manual Port Forwarding, DMZ or Port Triggering setup to the NAS? If so, disable them   and is the Sub Mask the same as the NAS boxes ?

If the network name can also be set on the modem/router - is it the same as the workgroup name you use ?

As for Emby, there are no network settings in it (well none I can find) .. so seems odd that could create the problem. It sounds as if they are on a different network or sub network to each other.

Although Windows and Kodi can see both NAS boxes, since Asustor NAS is Linux based, and Emby is using the NAS's settings, then any network discrepancy can block things.

Might sound odd, but have you tried turning them both off and the Modem/Router?  Wait a few minutes, power up Modem/Router and then power up the NAS's 1 at a time (don't start NAS 2 til NAS 1 is completely running).

With so many tries, they just may need to re-establish themselves on the Network .. stranger things have worked ...

Well have now got to the end of everything i can think of checking, without uninstalling or disabling all the apps on the NAS's except for Emby to see if some other prog is blocking things.

So good luck and leave a note here when you work out what is causing the prob .. I am really curious on cause and how you fixed it.

Good Luck.  :)

If you don't mind checking one more thing for me.. under settings/network/network interface if you look at your LAN one do you have a DNS server and a Gateway defined?

you guys are both using different protocols though right? for instance, geoff is entering a path that starts with /ip/folder

whereas darius is using smb://

is that correct?

Dariusz

you guys are both using different protocols though right? for instance, geoff is entering a path that starts with /ip/folder

whereas darius is using smb://

is that correct?

i'm using smb://IPofNAS2

that's what i was asked earlier to use..

Dariusz

don't mind at all ..

5a0dda321e86f_Lan1.jpg

and the modem settings -

5a0ddb6f4f588_ModemLan.jpg

so we are similar.. i just use different IP range.. my router however does not have much settings in terms of LAN

5a0dec153c0ad_20171116_144231.jpg5a0debf66ebcb_20171116_144143.jpg

Dariusz

Just in case, can you please grab the apk from the latest beta server and see if it makes any difference:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases

Thanks.

@@Luke YES!! this now works!!! looks like you guys have fixed the issue for me with 3.2.36.11!! Awesome work!! will test this out and will make sure no other issues.

@@geoff511 thank you for all your help with PD over the past few days.. whatever the issue was, it got fixed with the latest BETA.. I really appreciate all your help.

Dariusz

Thanks for the feedback.

@@Luke I have a minor issue.. I added my videos from NAS2 to EMBY server on NAS1 using smb://IPofNAS2 and expanded my database.. I use emby for kodi on multiple devices to stream videos from the EMBY server on NAS1.. what I noticed is the videos local to NAS1 that have been paused and stopped throughout the video, I get to resume after... while videos I have added from NAS2, when I watch them and stop at some point, I get a checkmark next to the video as if they were fully watched and I don't get the option to resume..