Client becomes unresponsive

rabbit1543

rabbit1543

I have been messing around with the client more than usual recently and have noticed that there are two scenarios that will cause the client to become unresponsive and in some cases render the phone almost useless. In some cases when this happens the screen will flicker. Happy to set up logging if it will help sort out the problems. For what its worth i tried clearing the data and cache and it did not help the issue.

My setup 

Samsung Galaxy S4 on VZW

Android Version 4.3

Client version 1.0.25

Scenario 1. 

Clicking the Play button while looking at a TV series overview screen

Clicking the Play button while looking at TV series episode list

Scenario 2. 

Using the back button to escape out of a playing TV show then back button again to go to previous menu

If i back out of a playing video via the back button then use the MB menu to back out out of the episode details it seems to work. 

Redshirt

There are logs being written on your storage. Recreate the issue and let me see the log please.

rabbit1543

I've attached some logs. I cleared the log folder before doing my tests and in the end i had 4 log files

First i tried to play something then back out of it. The first back button request takes me out of the playing video and into the episode details. Back again will cause the client to become unresponsive and eventually crashes

Second i tried hitting play from the a season view. This caused the phone to become unresponsive to most everything except power button press. I had to wait til the screen locked before i was able to kill the client.

Hope this helps. Thanks 

mb3logs.zip

Edited by rabbit1543

Redshirt

I've just fixed the play-all/shuffle issue. Other bug I'm looking into. Tonights update will have at least the one bug fix in it.

rabbit1543

Thanks. The play-all/shuffle looks to be fixed now.

I don't want to be a nuisance but I think I found another issue.

I was just trying to mark a season as watched and the client froze up. After killing the app I logged back in and the season was marked properly as watched.

Out of curiosity I tried to do the opposite and Mark that same season as unwatched and that didn't cause any freeze but I did have to back out to the main screen and back to the season to see the change take affect which is understandable. Wanted to throw that bit out there if it helps fix the issue marking a season as watched.

I can post some logs later if needed when I'm back at a computer.

johnhcstaton

If I can piggy back on this, I too have a Samsung Galaxy S4, and I'm having the freeze/unresponsive issue with the Android client when trying to stream to my ChromeCast.  I can play videos on my phone no problem, but if I try to play it to the CC (and the CC shows the MediaBrowser3 "you can now play a video" screen properly), the app freezes and can only be saved by turning off the ChromeCast AND killing the app.

Android Version: 4.3

Edited by johnhcstaton

Redshirt

If I can piggy back on this, I too have a Samsung Galaxy S4, and I'm having the freeze/unresponsive issue with the Android client when trying to stream to my ChromeCast.  I can play videos on my phone no problem, but if I try to play it to the CC (and the CC shows the MediaBrowser3 "you can now play a video" screen properly), the app freezes and can only be saved by turning off the ChromeCast AND killing the app.

Android Version: 4.3

I'd like to see a client log for that scenario.

rikiwi

Hi - Since the update from v .24 to .26 the client has stopped working on my recorded TV files buts works on my movies. Also last night in me photos it just displayed the first image of each folder and on scrolling to next image just kept repeating the first image.

I cleaned out all the logs and have now a log of just the recorded TV error.

Nexus 7 - android 4.2.2

rikiwi

Hi - Since the update from v .24 to .26 the client has stopped working on my recorded TV files buts works on my movies. Also last night in me photos it just displayed the first image of each folder and on scrolling to next image just kept repeating the first image.

I cleaned out all the logs and have now a log of just the recorded TV error.

Nexus 7 - android 4.2.2

Guest jim

Hello,

I'm having the same problem as johnhcstaton, { 06 Mar 2014 - 09:22 AM }

I have a Motorola Droid  Razr.   Works fine to play recorded TV on phone with Media Browser app but app freezes when I try to use chromecast.  Freezes when I press the play button. 

Android Version: 4.2.2  (CM 10.1.3)

Redshirt

Recorded tv issue will be fixed for tonights release. @@jim I need a client log for that Chromecast crash. 

Redshirt

jim, it looks like your issue is indeed the same as johnhcstaton's.

I just pushed 1.0.27 to the play store. It should be visible in 1-2 hours Hopefully all the issues in this thread are now fixed. Let me know how you guys make out.

• Like 2

johnhcstaton

That would be amazing!  I will report back with the result once I can update my app. :)

Edited by johnhcstaton

rikiwi

Just updated to Version .27 and gave it a run through all my folders and everything is working smoothly again.

Thanks so much for your excellent response Redshirt and a fantastic app. :)

• Like 2

Guest jim

Now I can cast but...

app freezes when I try to stop the cast or browse back to show list.  

A great addition would be a skip button to move the playback position forward/back by say 15 or 30 seconds (skip commercials) - using the progress bar is a bit cumbersome on a small screen.  Also the volume + and - buttons do not appear to work but the mute does work.

Thanks!

Media Browser Logs v1.0.27 2014.3.6.zip

Redshirt

Doh! that issue is happening in Google's code not mine. 

As for FF/RW buttons. One of my testers asked for it too, I'm apprehensive about adding those because things could get hairy if users start pushing the button 4 or 5 times in a row to jump say 90 seconds.

johnhcstaton

Now I can cast but...

app freezes when I try to stop the cast or browse back to show list.

A great addition would be a skip button to move the playback position forward/back by say 15 or 30 seconds (skip commercials) - using the progress bar is a bit cumbersome on a small screen. Also the volume + and - buttons do not appear to work but the mute does work.

Thanks!

Same, but at least we can cast now!

Redshirt

The media you two are having issues with. Does it have a primary and backdrop image?

yoyoma

Hey, 

I have a very similar problem to the two mentioned above. The media I am having issues with do not have a primary and backdrop image. I was thinking the lack of images was causing the freezing because my movies played fine.

rabbit1543

What a speedy turn around. The issues I mentioned seem to be fixed, though now I'm noticing the opposite issue when marking seasons read. When I try to mark a season as unread it freezes. Not a show stopper by any means. Keep up the great work!