Audio and subtitles issues with ATV4

Koml

Hei

Running Version 3.2.36.0 of emby-server on an debian 8

When i start play a movie in ATV4 there is kind of a default subtitle i cannot change and if i change it to something else i have 2 subtitles gooing on.

The audio issue is that i can not change the language on the ATV.

Everything works fine with the mobile app and on other computers

Anyone seen this issue before and could give me som help?

Hi.  Can you please discuss a specific example and explain exactly what you are doing and what happens?  Thanks.

When i play an episode one of the sub is always on, i dont have the option to turn it of.

If i turn on a sub in the movie menu i have 2 subs. Picture attached

If you need any more info i will try to provide :)

5a09d4123a1b7_IMG_1920.jpg

With the appleTV app my friends and I (using my server) often experience media playback with subtitles on, even though the in-media menu says they are off. The only way I know of to turn them off is to exit the media and go to the audio/subtitles options menu and tell the video to playback with no subtitles. I haven't tried turning the subtitles on when they are already on, it might result in two sets of subtitles.

I have emby setup for auto subtitles (detects when the language isn't english I think) so that probably has something to do with it. It's not a huge deal since we just play the video back without subtitles. I think the issue happens primarily when a video contains some non-english language where the subtitles aren't 'hard coded' to the video.

not sure if this is the same as what is going on with the OP, but if you need some info from me I would be happy to provide

@@Koml - would it be possible for you to provide me with this exact media item and all associated external subtitle files you have (if any) so I can test with it?  You can PM me with a dropbox or similar link if you wish.

Thanks!

Okay, perhaps we picked a bad sample, but the one you gave me happened to be Narcos which has English subtitles burned into the video already so there would be no way to get rid of those.

The english subtittle is burned in when they speek columbian.. only then :)

In the intro where they are speaking english there are no sub burnt to the media.. but thats where the problem is on the ATV4 it puts on 2 subs.. where the sub is burnt to the movie it has 3 subs

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping it is appropriate to add to this thread, that I am also having Apple TV 4K, subtitle issues.

If you need me to start a new thread I can.

My issue:

I have a movie, with non-English parts, for which "English default forced" subtitles should be played.

There are multiple subtitles associated with the movie:

"English default forced"

"Eng"

"Und"

No matter what I do, "Eng default forced" will not play on Apple TV emby. I've set my user settings to default, smart, forced only, always on, off, yet none will get the forced subs to play. I've also selected the subs from the movie screen, and "started the movie with settings", no go. I've hit the drop down during playback, chosen subtitles, and English, and this brings up full English subs, for everything, not just foreign language scenes.

For comparison, I have played the same movie, same scene, "eng default forced" subs, with auto subs settings, successfully on my computer and iPhone, using the same user account. So I know the subs are there, and I know they are correct.

I thought it was me, but after all of the above, I figured I better ask. Let me know what else I can do to help, or what else I can provide.

Thanks,

Devoid

No change for me.

App version shows 1.1.10

I did an app restart after each time I changed the subtitle selection, playback setting.

Thus, set to forced, restart app, play movie (no subs)

Set to smart, restart app, play movie (no subs)

I did the same for always, still no subs.

Audio and subs defaults are set to English.

The movie is set to English forced, as previously mentioned.

Luke, so I started opening up some of these movies to browse their directories, where I've been finding my "forced english" subtitles is embedded in the MKV files. I'm still reading, but it looks like embedded subs have been discussed in other threads. 

I hadn't thought about it previously, since they work on the web and iphone apps. I'll continue reading about embedded subs in the forum, but should embedded subtitle tracks be an issue in apple tv? 

Luke and ebr, here is what I just found:

As mentioned above, many of my "forced english" subs are a track embedded into the movie, most appear to be MKVs. I have yet to find any others in my collection, or I would test it for you. 

I am able to get ATV to display the subs if I turn off: Allow subtitle extraction on the fly, under Transcoding.  @@Koml, if you test turning this on or off, does that change your experience? 

The HUGE downside: turning off sub extraction takes the movies 3-5mins to just open. (I truly wish I was exaggerating, but it's totally unbelievable).  This only happens if Eng Default Forced is on. If Off, the movie loads in the normal few seconds. This affects any emby app: web, iphone, ATV. And I'm testing all this local network, no transcoding. Turning subtitle extraction back on remedies the loading issue, but again no subtitles.  This can continue to be replicated turning it on or off, and starting a movie. Note- only movies with embedded subs appear to have this long loading issue. 

Let me know what other info I can provide. 

Luke and ebr, here is what I just found:

As mentioned above, many of my "forced english" subs are a track embedded into the movie, most appear to be MKVs. I have yet to find any others in my collection, or I would test it for you. 

I am able to get ATV to display the subs if I turn off: Allow subtitle extraction on the fly, under Transcoding.  @@Koml, if you test turning this on or off, does that change your experience? 

The HUGE downside: turning off sub extraction takes the movies 3-5mins to just open. (I truly wish I was exaggerating, but it's totally unbelievable).  This only happens if Eng Default Forced is on. If Off, the movie loads in the normal few seconds. This affects any emby app: web, iphone, ATV. And I'm testing all this local network, no transcoding. Turning subtitle extraction back on remedies the loading issue, but again no subtitles.  This can continue to be replicated turning it on or off, and starting a movie. Note- only movies with embedded subs appear to have this long loading issue. 

Let me know what other info I can provide. 

Hi.  What is the format of these embedded subs?

@@ebr, how do I find this? 

If I open the file in VLC, and do a show media information, I can see this:

Stream 0: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)(avc1)

Stream 1: DTS Audio (dts)

Stream 2: Text subtitles with various tags (subt)

I checked 3 of my test movies, they are all the same. 

Opened in DIVX, here is some detailed info:

Video

ID                       : 1
Format                   : AVC
Format/Info              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrame : 5 frames
Codec ID                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                 : 2h 1mn
Bit rate                 : 4 924 Kbps
Width                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                   : 688 pixels
Display aspect ratio     : 1.85:1
Frame rate mode          : Constant
Frame rate               : 23.976 fps
Color space              : YUV
Chroma subsampling       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                : 8 bits
Scan type                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)       : 0.233
Stream size              : 4.18 GiB (77%)
Writing library          : x264 core 148 r2705 3f5ed56
Encoding settings        : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4924 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                 : English
Default                  : Yes
Forced                   : No

Audio
ID                       : 2
Format                   : DTS
Format/Info              : Digital Theater Systems
Mode                     : 16
Format settings, Endiann : Big
Codec ID                 : A_DTS
Duration                 : 2h 1mn
Bit rate mode            : Constant
Bit rate                 : 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s)               : 6 channels
Channel positions        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate            : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate               : 93.750 fps (512 spf)
Bit depth                : 24 bits
Compression mode         : Lossy
Stream size              : 1.28 GiB (23%)
Forced                   : No

Text
ID                       : 3
Format                   : UTF-8
Codec ID                 : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info            : UTF-8 Plain Text
Duration                 : 57mn 24s
Bit rate                 : 2 bps
Count of elements        : 29
Stream size              : 1.01 KiB (0%)
Title                    : English-Forced
Forced                   : Yes
Edited by devoid

Not sure why it would take a long time to extract these and, any subsequent playback shouldn't have to do it again so should be quick...