Emby service mssing after clean install of v3.2.36.0

d00zah
Go to solution Solved by Nisten,

d00zah

Apologies if this is a red herring, but here's what happened...

I was experiencing a random crash after upgrading to v3.2.36.0 which I finally determined only happened when looking at a certain view. Server & logs just stopped with no indication of what went wrong. I ultimately tracked it down to viewing Music > Artists, which caused the crash every time.

At 1st, I thought it was a library.db corruption, so I blew mine away & let the server rebuild. The same crash still happened, so I decided to completely uninstall/reinstall from scratch. Same crash happened & upon perusing the forum, found the following thread:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52597-server-crashing-version-32360/

which recommended downloading a new installer, which I hadn't done in a while.

NOW, v3.2.36.0 server is running great & I can browse all views successfully without a crash, but... I no longer seem to have a defined Emby service available.

I've tried creating one with the 'sc' command, using the binPath my original service specified with no success... timeout on start. Manually executing the same cmd seems to work, but just not as a service.

Bottom line... is the service now unavailable by design? Or have I messed things up by completely uninstalling & starting from scratch with a botched install. Reinstalling 'over the top' didn't help.

TIA

• Like 1

Hi,

All the problems with the server in the thread you mention.

I don't have the server either. Same behaviour you describe.

I am able to connect emby from my Intel Stick but not from my LG TV. ¿?...

Still awaiting a solution.

I recommend you to watch the crash thread to see if there will be a fix soon.

d00zah

Well, my only issue at this point is the lack of a service, while your issues seem to be more involved.

As a temporary band-aid, I'm demo-ing an app called 'AlwaysUp', which facilitates running apps as services in Windows (7, in my case), although I would prefer the native solution. I am monitoring that thread, though except for a single comment, the service hadn't seen much discussion, so I figured a separate thread was in order.

Let's see how it goes...

d00zah

The wiki for running Emby Server as a service was modified for net core - https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Running%20Emby%20Server%20as%20a%20Windows%20Service

Have you already tried these steps in the updated wiki

Nope, missed that. Should have checked before researching the similar 'outside' solution. Haven't been following these specific changes like I should have been. Thank you VERY MUCH for setting me straight!

Edit: VERY simple/straight forward install. Works great, thanks again!!

Edited by d00zah

rliepins

OK, I see the change.  I had set up the service years ago.  It always started mediabrowser.server application.exe.  But that service no longer works because of the new method.

However, I never made the change - something else did.  My question is how do I manage the new service if I didn't use NSSM in the first place?  I'd like a little control of it.  Windows sees embyserver.exe running as a service, but I can't find that specific service in the services msc.

Any help would be most appreciated.

rliepins

The confusion came from dealing with my previous service.  Way back, the service was set up to launch mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe.  When that service was invoked, it would try to start, but would fail.  However, in so doing, embyserver.exe was invoked.  I removed the old service and installed the new one as per the new wiki page.

All is good now.

Thanks

• Like 1