Casting should auto-load Emby app?

xilex

I notice when I launch Youtube app on a mobile device, when choosing to cast to the Roku device, the Roku device will auto-launch the Youtube application.

I thought it would be nice if the Emby app can do something similar. Currently, the cast icon will pick up the Roku and connects, but trying to play something does not do anything until the Emby app on Roku is loaded, then it will play what was previously attempted to be played.

Also I had one instance where the Roku device is on but Emby app (web app, iOS) could not detect it until manually launched the Roku Emby app. I thought launching other Roku apps or casting to Youtube caused the issue but that was not it.

Hi.  Our casting functionality is from Emby component to Emby component so an Emby component needs to be running in order to receive the commands.

It is possible we can improve this in the future but, to do so, we would have to always have something running on all of your devices all the time.

Thanks. It's weird how after launching Roku Emby app and closing it, the Roku entry persists in the cast-to tab in Emby for quite a while. Maybe drop in some sort of error handling if it realizes it can't really cast to it.