Fail2Ban Questions

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I was curios about setting up fail2ban on my server as an added layer off protection but have a few questions.

Do I need to run a reverse proxy with apache to use it?

Can I also use it to monitoring ssh attempts?

mastrmind11

I was curios about setting up fail2ban on my server as an added layer off protection but have a few questions.

Do I need to run a reverse proxy with apache to use it?

Can I also use it to monitoring ssh attempts?

You need a proxy, whether apache or nginx.  It monitors the access log of the web server to determine what to ban.  

Yes, it works with sshd.  And once it's set up, you'll be shocked at the amount of activity on that port.  I'm banning constantly.

• 4 months later...
all4dom

So if I understand this correctly, fail2ban will tell me if there attempts to log into my system by anyone or anything?

dcrdev

So if I understand this correctly, fail2ban will tell me if there attempts to log into my system by anyone or anything?

Not only that - it will actively block them.

@ OP - I'd post my config, but I'm using Apache and not nginx.

dcrdev

Will this work with Caddy?

If it produces log files and you're handy with regular expression then yes!

Edited by dcrdev

CBers

So "wail2ban" is the Windows equivalent.

How does it know legitimate connections from bad ones?

dcrdev

So "wail2ban" is the Windows equivalent.

How does it know legitimate connections from bad ones?

It looks for patterns from certain ip addresses based on the requests and also in some cases the response code delivered from the server i.e. unauthorised responses. 

CBers

It looks for patterns from certain ip addresses based on the requests and also in some cases the response code delivered from the server i.e. unauthorised responses.

So is it fully automatic?

Can you whitelist IP addresses?

Jdiesel

So is it fully automatic?

Can you whitelist IP addresses?

For some services like SSH it is pretty much good to go out of the box. For services like Emby you would need to create your own jail so it knows what to look for in the logfiles. As of right now it takes a fair amount of setup. Once running it is automated. For example on my server after 3 failed SSH login attempts a temporary rule is added to my firewall to block that IP address for 60 minutes. After 60 minutes the rule is removed.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

If I ever get the Unifi app server, I'd like to try running that on it. Can it run as standalone, or does it need to be intergrated with a proxy?

Jdiesel

If I ever get the Unifi app server, I'd like to try running that on it. Can it run as standalone, or does it need to be intergrated with a proxy?

I don't believe it needs to be run with a proxy but it would likely make things much easier as you aren't starting from scratch. As far as I know you can point it at any log file granted you have configured the jail to parse the logfile correctly.

Guest asrequested

So it sounds like I can use it with the Unifi controller logs? I really want to get that app server. So that'll be something I'll look at.

CBers

I don't believe it needs to be run with a proxy but it would likely make things much easier as you aren't starting from scratch. As far as I know you can point it at any log file granted you have configured the jail to parse the logfile correctly.

So just point it at the nginx log?

Guest asrequested

The Unifi app server is run on Ubuntu. That's why I'm interested in this. Having said that, the Unifi controller now has the IPS, which should be pretty much the same thing. So by the time I get it, fail2ban may be redundant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
PrincessClevage

Would any one be able to point me to a guid to setup wail2ban on win10 please? I have the out of the box running but that only monitors for failed attempts to rdp and sql sessions. Do I modify the config file to look at the emby log directory and a line for auth failed attempts?

rbjtech

Would any one be able to point me to a guid to setup wail2ban on win10 please? I have the out of the box running but that only monitors for failed attempts to rdp and sql sessions. Do I modify the config file to look at the emby log directory and a line for auth failed attempts?

From my limited powershell script skills - I believe wail2ban.ps1 is only setup to read from the Windows Event Log entries - I see no ps script for reading external log files such as embyserver.txt - thus without modification, I don't think wail2ban will work with emby.

Ideally I would like Emby to log system events to the Windows Event log - but I think that is a big undertaking for the Emby team and probably not a priority for them ..  :(

mastrmind11

i can't see how logging to the event log is a big undertaking.  if C# is anything like any other non-.net programming language, you choose your logger based on the environment.  

• 1 month later...
silver_2000

Ok I found it ,  just add this to jail.local 

[emby]

enabled = true
port = 8920,8096
logpath  =/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/logs/embyserver.txt

This is VERY cool, thanks to the community for putting this together.