Merging two servers to one home screen

Scott D

Scott D

Not sure if this is a feature request or assistance in setting up server.  If it is possible, please point me in the right direction.

Here is the situation:

The local cable/ISP has decided that CAPS are a great way of making a little more money to cover the losses from streaming services.  So, I now have limits on the amount of data I can stream without getting into massive bills on a monthly basis.

So I have set up one server with all of my captured/stored media (DVD's, etc.).  It is on one ISP connection with a data cap.  I would like to set-up a second server for access to Cable TV on a different ISP connection to balance the load.  Streaming of live (cable) tends to suck up data fairly quickly.  I typically stream to a vacation home.  With more and more time being spent there, the data used is getting close to the CAP limits.

For integration purposes, is it possible to merge the two servers into one screen on different players (Roku, Android, etc.) so that the experience is seamless?

I know I can have different Servers on the Log-in screen, but was hoping to pull it all together as one.

Thanks for any assistance.  If not something that can be done now, please add this as a feature request.  

TIA!!!

• Like 1

mastrmind11

Not sure if this is a feature request or assistance in setting up server.  If it is possible, please point me in the right direction.

Here is the situation:

The local cable/ISP has decided that CAPS are a great way of making a little more money to cover the losses from streaming services.  So, I now have limits on the amount of data I can stream without getting into massive bills on a monthly basis.

So I have set up one server with all of my captured/stored media (DVD's, etc.).  It is on one ISP connection with a data cap.  I would like to set-up a second server for access to Cable TV on a different ISP connection to balance the load.  Streaming of live (cable) tends to suck up data fairly quickly.  I typically stream to a vacation home.  With more and more time being spent there, the data used is getting close to the CAP limits.

For integration purposes, is it possible to merge the two servers into one screen on different players (Roku, Android, etc.) so that the experience is seamless?

I know I can have different Servers on the Log-in screen, but was hoping to pull it all together as one.

Thanks for any assistance.  If not something that can be done now, please add this as a feature request.  

TIA!!!

Just set up a single Emby server and use it for Live TV, and point to your other DVD server as it's own library via a mount or network share.

Untoten

Here is the situation:

TIA!!!

Have you tried masking your traffic as a service that does not count against cap (zero rated service)?

Who is your ISP?  I can see if there's a suitable candidate.

Edited by Untoten

Scott D

I have not gone that deep into ways to avoid overages.  I am currently with Cox Communications.  Wish there was an alternative, but DSL just doesn't cut it.

Scott D

Just set up a single Emby server and use it for Live TV, and point to your other DVD server as it's own library via a mount or network share.

I am working on this, but was hoping a single log-in, home screen might be something that could be accomplished.  I don't want to mount/share the collection server with the TV server , because then I would be double dipping (as it were) to upload/download to get content to an off-site location.

mastrmind11

Then I guess I'm confused. You're going to have to stream somewhere any time you're external, whether tv or dvd media. This solution allows you to combine everything into 1 home screen. If you're ISP is metering based on content, invest in a VPN or the very least SSL, and they can't shape shit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pir8radio

why wouldn't you just put two network cards on the single emby server and serve it to the two different ISP's?   

Then you can use something like cloudflare (or any other DNS round robin) to evenly load balance each server request between the two ISP's.

OR use nginx as a reverse proxy, then you can force live tv streams to one server/isp, and everything else to the other.