Direct Play Chromecast Blu-Ray Rips Stuck in a Loop

Saltyzip

Thanks @@x-cimo

I checked all 3 chromecast units and they all updated to the preview 1.28.10055.

So based on that other threat, google has screwed it up....funny that the old chromecasts work but not the newer one.

I'll watch the other thread for updates.

Thanks.

Someone in another topic reported an issue with 2ch AAC so now I'm unclear if they've only dropped AAC 5.1 or if they've dropped AAC altogether.

@@Luke not sure if it helps, but I just tested these video's on one of my Chromecast's with the Preview Firmware and direct streamed without transcoding or any other issues.

Video
Codec H264
Codec tag avc1
AVC Yes
Profile Main
Level 31
Resolution 1280x720
Aspect ratio 16:9
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 29.969408
Bitrate 3055 kbps
Bit depth 8 bit
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames 1
NAL 4

Audio
Language und
Codec AAC
Codec tag mp4a
Profile LC
Layout stereo
Channels 2 ch
Bitrate 195 kbps
Sample rate 44100 Hz
Default Yes
Title Und AAC stereo Default
Container mp4

Also tried a video with a different Video Level

Video
Codec H264
Codec tag avc1
AVC Yes
Profile Main
Level 40
Resolution 1280x720
Aspect ratio 16:9
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 29.9696827
Bitrate 866 kbps
Bit depth 8 bit
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames 1
NAL 4

Audio
Language und
Codec AAC
Codec tag mp4a
Profile LC
Layout stereo
Channels 2 ch
Bitrate 159 kbps
Sample rate 44100 Hz
Default Yes
Title Und AAC stereo Default
Container mp4

Both video's from two different TV shows direct streamed without transcoding on the preview firmware.

ssaulsbu

I have a Chromecast 1 running 1.28.100555 and a Chromecast 2 running the same version.

The Chromecast 1 will play Live TV just fine whereas the Chromecast 2 won’t. I thought this was firmware dependent.

Someone in another topic reported an issue with 2ch AAC so now I'm unclear if they've only dropped AAC 5.1 or if they've dropped AAC altogether.

Don't you have a device you can enroll in the preview to test? I can't wait to get my chromecast working again....

JarvisTek

I was having other problems with my windows 10 deployment (long story short, had it running as a service, re-installed to troubleshoot, the service times out but still runs the binary, powershell watcher script engages ludicrous speed, it was bad...) so I've been a bit of a busy beaver over the last 24 hours and migrated everything over to a ubuntu server vm (MUCH faster btw). Not sure if it was that or not, but in VERY limited testing, I was able to stream AMC (non-HD) and it worked! However when I tried AMC HD, no bueno. I'll keep testing, I just wanted to throw that out there for now.

Edit - this was live tv, btw

Edited by JarvisTek

JarvisTek

Well, I did some more testing and it's... better? I see that Emby is now transcoding live video into m3u8 h264 mp3, but it's SUPER slow to get to any channel (generally have a wait 30-60 seconds) and beyond that, it still tries to direct play like 80% of the time. For me, that's just not gonna cut it. I'd buy up all the Chromecast v1's if I could get assurances that they wouldn't screw it up. I'm almost thinking class action lawsuit at this point because Google is purposefully taking away features that were a major selling point of this device. Transcoding is just not the answer for me  :unsure: 

Tested last night. 2x chromecast v1 and 1x v2 and now neither with play live TV (left it trying for 10 minutes, just sits on the splash screen) and same for live TV recordings. However, other media plays just fine still.

Was this fixed on the server (after google changed the firmware) and just me having problems? Or is this being looked at still (just so I know if it's be or not)

JarvisTek

I finally found my v1 yesterday as same thing, I can't do live or recorded tv either. Anything new with a fire stick having these issues?

This thread is about Chromecast. If you're having an issue with a fire stick please open a topic in the fire TV section. Thanks !

ok, @@Luke.

I tried to cast a TV recording (emby recorded through HDhomerun) on both the V1 and V2 chromecast units. Both react the same way. The chromecast shows the backdrop of the show, but never plays and the server dashboard shows it playing, but on the elapsed time counter, i see it get to 0:06 then -:-- then counts to 0:08 then -:-- like its resetting the playback, but never shows on the chromecast.

I am about to PM you the server log, transcode logs from one attempt on each version of the chromecast as well as dashboard screenshots. Also, to prove the chromecasts are working...i including logs for playback of a movie that works perfectly.

Thanks!

Edited by Erik

It's happening with all my recordings so far that I have tested. I gave you a log from a movie just so you knew the connection and chromecast are operable. It was not a recorded movie.

Again, recording and actually live tv do not work and fail as described.

Thanks.

Edited by Erik

Hi @@Luke

I just started testing, so far the V2 chromecast now plays the recordings perfectly that had failed before. I'll test live TV and the V1 later today and let you know if they are all good.

Thanks for the fix.