Direct Play Chromecast Blu-Ray Rips Stuck in a Loop

Saltyzip

Saltyzip

Hi,

I am a newbie to Emby, although I have extensively used Plex for many many years, so not a newcomer to running my own media server.

I thought I would try out Emby as all my Movies I normally Direct Play on Plex to a Chromecast v2 (Wired) are being forced to Transcode, and although Plex have replicated the issue in house, I am now 4 months down the line and still no sign of a fix, seems unpicking the Streaming Brain they introduced is not a priority.

Anyway I had no issues setting up Emby as far as I can tell, I can direct play most movies and tv shows to my Android phone without issue, the problem comes however when tried to play my blu-ray rips via my Chromecast.

I can see from the Emby dashboard they are being direct played, however on the server the ffmpeg (thought that was for transcoding only?) seems to get stuck in a repeated loop resulting in no playback showing at all on screen. The play and pause button seem to flicker between each other every few seconds or so.

From looking at the logs I've attached, it appears the movie file has been selected for Direct Play:

2017-11-06 13:28:33.943 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: D:\ServerFolders\Movies and TV\Movies\7\Video\Don%27t_Take_Me_Home_2017\DON'T_TAKE_ME_HOME.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True

However I get this error in the logs, which seems to repeat over an over:

2017-11-06 13:28:37.519 Error HttpServer: Error in HttpListenerResponseWrapper: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.2.36.0
Command line: C:\Users\na\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll C:\Users\na\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll C:\Users\na\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll C:\Users\na\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
User Interactive: True
Processor count: 8
Program data path: C:\Users\na\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
Application directory: C:\Users\na\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
   at SocketHttpListener.SocketStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
   at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpResponseStream.DisposeCore()
   at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpResponseStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at System.IO.Stream.Close()
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.SocketSharp.WebSocketSharpResponse.CloseOutputStream(HttpListenerResponse response)
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
   at SocketHttpListener.SocketStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
   at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpResponseStream.DisposeCore()
   at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpResponseStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at System.IO.Stream.Close()
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.SocketSharp.WebSocketSharpResponse.CloseOutputStream(HttpListenerResponse response)

Video Media Info for File I am trying to Direct Play on Chromecast:

Codec H264
AVC Yes
Profile High
Level 41
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio 16:9
Anamorphic No
Interlaced Yes
Framerate 25
Bitrate 31199 kbps
Bit depth 8 bit
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames1
NAL4
Audio

Language eng
Codec AAC
Profile LC
Layout 5.1
Channels 6 ch
Bitrate 320 kbps
Sample rate 48000 Hz
Default Yes
Title Eng AAC 5.1 Default
Audio

Language eng
Codec AC3
Layout 5.1
Channels 6 ch
Bitrate 640 kbps
Sample rate 48000 Hz
Default No
Title Eng Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitle

Language cym
Codec PGSSUB
Default No
Forced No
External No
Title Cym
Containe rmkv
PathD:\ServerFolders\Movies and TV\Movies\7\Video\Don%27t_Take_Me_Home_2017\DON'T_TAKE_ME_HOME.mkv

Emby Version:
Version 3.2.36.0
Emby for Chromecast 2.1.0
Emby for Android Mobile 2.1.0

Chromecast Version:
Firmware: 1.28.100555

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

S.

Edited by Saltyzip

Hi there, is it only on this one file? i'm not able to reproduce the issue. Can you provide a sample video for testing? thanks !

Saltyzip

My assumption is all my Blu-ray rips encoded with H264 and AAC seem to fail when Emby tries to direct play them on Chromecast, I've tried about 6 for the record.

They will play if I select to transcode, but they should direct play and certainly not hang anyway.

I have sent a sample link to one particular file via a private pm, hopefully that meets the ask.

Anything else you need?

PS. I've also added Chromecast Firmware Version above in first post

Edited by Saltyzip

Did you test that the issue occurs with the sample file? It is playing on Chromecast just fine for me. Thanks.

Saltyzip

Issue occurs with sample file too, notification in android just flickers between pause and play, and just get movie backdrop on tv from Chromecast. Same issue seen on my Chromecast downstairs.

Does your Chromecast direct play the file automatically or is emby transcoding?

Is your emby android app set to default settings too, I'll reset mine just to make sure?

Default settings, no problem found. It is transcoding due to being detected as interlaced, but if i force direct play via user permissions, it works just fine. Either way, no problem found.

Saltyzip

My server is running Windows 2012 R2 essential, which I assume is a variance to yours?

I've also reinstalled emby android app to ensure default settings and same problem.

So why does emby dashboard show it trying to direct play the file on mine?

Why can't Chromecast direct play interlaced by default anyway?

Saltyzip

I should also mention my account is just the basic I guess, I've only paid the initial fee of around £4 via Google play to enable Chromecast usage.

Try refreshing the title from the detail screen using the 3 dot menu. Then it will rescan that file. See if it is now detected as interlaced. Thanks.

Saltyzip

Whether 1080p or 1080i I have the exact same issue direct playing files via Chromecast.

Both resolutions support direct play on Chromecast, don't you agree?

Edited by Saltyzip

Saltyzip

Bit mine is already trying to direct play it and that's where it appears to be getting stuck, so not sure how a backend fix helps me?

If I try and play one of my older rips which has DTS or some other non supported audio for Chromecast emby will auto transcode and the video will appear and play fine first time.

Edited by Saltyzip

Saltyzip

Comparing log entries playing my sample file is there any difference?

One thing I have noticed is I can't delete a movie from within emby, doesn't look like I have permission, might just be a red herring.

Bit mine is already trying to direct play it and that's where it appears to be getting stuck, so not sure how a backend fix helps me?

If I try and play one of my older rips which has DTS or some other non supported audio for Chromecast emby will auto transcode and the video will appear and play fine first time.

Have you tried again?

One thing I have noticed is I can't delete a movie from within emby, doesn't look like I have permission, might just be a red herring.

You will have to make sure the emby server process has privileges to delete files from your media folders.

Saltyzip

I've tried again, same problem. How do if force direct play on Chromecast, can't see option to play original quality?

Thought perhaps trying to start in transcoding mode and then switch back to direct play while playing, if such an option exists.

Edited by Saltyzip

Double check your in app Chromecast bitrate setting and then if it needs adjustment please try again.

Please attach the emby server log from your latest attempt.

Thanks.

Saltyzip

All the video settings in the app are set to default which is auto, there is no play original quality worded setting to choose like there is in Plex?