Feature Request - Disable OSD controls on pause

adam1010

So as you can see, Emby is only similar to Kodi in respect of how the OSD behaves when FF/RW.

That's not true since you have to produce the OSD to skip with the other players (and, if you hit the forward or back arrows, that does produce the OSD on those players) the OSD is shown during seeking.

Also, remember that some devices have actual FF/Rew buttons.

It just really makes no sense for the seek operation to be completely blind.  We should have had the seek bar showing during seeking from the outset but the problem was, with no dedicated FF/Rew buttons on some devices, it clashed with navigation of the OSD itself - so required a completely new one and I just didn't take the time to do that until now.

@@ebr - I am not sure this was an intended effect, but since you added in the smaller OSD on skipping it seems that I can now pause and skip forward very easily. It works pretty good.

Yes, I also implemented the ability to seek while paused which, if direct streaming, works very well as you can see a frame of where you will end up.

jasonmcroy

Yes, I also implemented the ability to seek while paused which, if direct streaming, works very well as you can see a frame of where you will end up.

Exactly, it works very nicely that way and makes it so easy to start playing again in the right spot if you accidently skip into the show a bit after the commercial.

CBers

That's not true since you have to produce the OSD to skip with the other players (and, if you hit the forward or back arrows, that does produce the OSD on those players) the OSD is shown during seeking.

Exactly what I said.

Also, remember that some devices have actual FF/Rew buttons.

And as I said, on my Shield.

Spaceboy

I also quite like it but it does seem to have introduced a couple of issues. I’ve had the initial OSD stick a couple of times, having to be dismissed by pressing back. Also, every time I’ve watched subsequent episodes, the next up OSD has stuck and has had to be dismissed by pressing back twice

is no-one else seeing this? if you ffwd before the old OSD fades then it sticks on screen and cannot be dismissed

The next up issue should be fixed in current beta.

This: 

if you ffwd before the old OSD fades then it sticks on screen and cannot be dismissed

Is new information but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen that happen.  Exactly how are you fast-forwarding?  Are you on a Fire using a FF button?  Cuz on a Shield, the only way to do it would be to interact with the on screen controls in the OSD.

CBers

Are you on a Fire using a FF button? Cuz on a Shield, the only way to do it would be to interact with the on screen controls in the OSD.

You can press left or right on the outer circle to FF or RW.

That's how I always do it, never via the OSD.

Whilst I'm on the subject, I have noticed that previously, I could ff/rw and then turn subs on/off but pressing down to bring the (full) OSD up, but now I have to close the (slimline) OSD to do it.

Really need an option to turn off the OSD during ff/rw, it's just so fricking annoying!!

You can press left or right on the outer circle to FF or RW.

Not when the full OSD is already visible which is what he said was the case.

Spaceboy

Not when the full OSD is already visible which is what he said was the case.

i beg to differ. i'm just pressing ffwd on my harmony remote.

so press play when the video starts, the OSD is on screen, press ffwd several times, usually 6 to jump through the 3mins prepadding then previously the OSD would fade. now it sticks and cannot be dismissed. ffwd is mapped to ffwd on a windows bluetooth remote.

i beg to differ. i'm just pressing ffwd on my harmony remote.

so press play when the video starts, the OSD is on screen, press ffwd several times, usually 6 to jump through the 3mins prepadding then previously the OSD would fade. now it sticks and cannot be dismissed. ffwd is mapped to ffwd on a windows bluetooth remote.

Okay, this is the part that is unusual as the Shield/NP etc. remotes do not have FF/Rew buttons so the only way to do those operations when the full OSD is up is via the on-screen buttons.

I'll have to try and test that out.   Thx.

Spaceboy

Okay, this is the part that is unusual as the Shield/NP etc. remotes do not have FF/Rew buttons so the only way to do those operations when the full OSD is up is via the on-screen buttons.

I'll have to try and test that out. Thx.

im using a windows remote at the moment because it’s the only way I can get a command to open the Emby app on the shield with Alexa

Even when it was mapped as a shield controller I have the ffwd command available. It must be on the game controller

• 2 weeks later...
Spaceboy

credit where its due, the OSD problems have been ironed out and the initial OSD and new transit control OSD work perfectly together. this is a significant improvement.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
K1ng_Lear

So, it seems that a lot of people like the disappearing of the osd while a Movie is paused. I would prefer that we got a Pause screen like it Netflix provides where you can see the fine logo and so on. Due to the fact that my wish is direct in the opposite of the other wish I would suggest to add a check box in the options where I can set my preferred behaviour.

• 8 months later...
gottafixthat

So, it seems that a lot of people like the disappearing of the osd while a Movie is paused. I would prefer that we got a Pause screen like it Netflix provides where you can see the fine logo and so on. Due to the fact that my wish is direct in the opposite of the other wish I would suggest to add a check box in the options where I can set my preferred behaviour.

A bit late to the thread, but I'll actually second this. That is one of my few complaints about Emby app is that the OSD vanishes when paused. A toggle would be wonderful.