Feature Request - Disable OSD controls on pause

adam1010

CBers

If you never realized it then it must not be much of a problem :).

We can't cancel the pause because some people will do that with Live TV for extended periods.

I rarely pause, preferring to stop playback, hence the request months back for the Rewind option.

Can you not tell the difference between Live TV playback and normal local library playback?

CBers

Ok so if it shows for a few seconds and then goes away, that's fine right? That's not the complaint here?

No, it doesn't close. It stays on-screen.

Can't remember if the screensaver is allowed to play when paused.

If it does, not a problem I guess.

Isn't whatever image is paused on the screen just as likely to cause burn-in?  Although, that is really not a problem for any modern TV since they stopped making plasma.

CBers

Isn't whatever image is paused on the screen just as likely to cause burn-in? Although, that is really not a problem for any modern TV since they stopped making plasma.

OLED TV's can get burn-in, although rare, but I wouldn't want to chance it.

It wasn't until the OP started this thread that I thought much about the current OSD.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the next version of the app will strike a happy medium here.

In conjunction with another long-standing request for visual indication during seeking (showing the progress bar), I have created a more minimal OSD that will show while seeking or when paused and this OSD will also fade away after a few seconds even when paused.

• Like 2

andyblac644

In conjunction with another long-standing request for visual indication during seeking (showing the progress bar), I have created a more minimal OSD that will show while seeking or when paused and this OSD will also fade away after a few seconds even when paused.

nice one Eirc, will the LG app get the same thing ?

jasonmcroy

I just got a chance to play with this tonight. It looks great!

Edit: Oops, I guess I spoke too soon. The bar shows up when I skip forward but no progress indicator, just  solid green bar. I also don't see the time listed either.

Edited by jasonmcroy

CBers

Edit: Oops, I guess I spoke too soon. The bar shows up when I skip forward but no progress indicator, just  solid green bar. I also don't see the time listed either.

Works OK here.

You know what to do but please do it in the testing area.

Thanks.

jasonmcroy

You know what to do but please do it in the testing area.

Thanks.

Yes, I will start a new thread and get you the in app logs when I get home. Thanks.

CBers

Can we add an option to NOT show the progress bar during seeking please.

Since you released it, it gets annoying seeing it, when you didn't previously.

I reverted back to the pre .15 release for now.

Thanks.

Edited by CBers

adam1010

I reverted to the previous version as well. The more minimal OSD is superior IMO, but I strongly strongly prefer having the OSD appear less often, not more often (which was why I opened this thread initially).

Having a few options in the menu to control OSD settings would allow everyone to choose the behavior that suits them. Personally I would disable the OSD from ever appearing (like watching those VHS tapes we all grew up on -- I checked my old DVD player too and it doesn't show an OSD when pausing or skipping)

I'm sorry, but this is really the proper behavior.  I don't think anyone could point me to a modern player on a device like this that doesn't show you the progress/where you are when you seek with the remote.

CBers - aren't you the one who requested this in the first place??

CBers

CBers - aren't you the one who requestedthis in the first place??

No, I don't think so.

If I did, I was wrong.

Don't like it. Didn't have it before, don't really want it now.

It might be "in line" with other apps, but I have no input to them.

Hoping you'll add an option to turn it off please.

People hate change - almost doesn't matter what it is. :)

But then, after becoming used to whatever changed, they'll hate it if it changes again.

Spaceboy

I also quite like it but it does seem to have introduced a couple of issues. I’ve had the initial OSD stick a couple of times, having to be dismissed by pressing back. Also, every time I’ve watched subsequent episodes, the next up OSD has stuck and has had to be dismissed by pressing back twice

jasonmcroy

@@ebr - I am not sure this was an intended effect, but since you added in the smaller OSD on skipping it seems that I can now pause and skip forward very easily. It works pretty good.

adam1010

@@ebr If there's no chance of getting a menu option to disable the OSD on pause then I guess I'd vote to stick with your new minimal OSD. I used it for a few hours tonight and was VERY pleased at how much less obtrusive it is. I also love that it no longer shows the star rating to announce that no one else liked what I'm about to watch (and doesn't show the thumbnail which often has spoilers). The only downside for me is that the OSD shows when skipping forward, but I can live with that in exchange for this streamlined OSD.

I didn't have trouble with it getting stuck on like some other people so it seemed very stable to me and ready for General Availability.

Really great work! Thanks for continuing to make improvements and listen to community feedback. I bought a few Android TVs for Christmas gifts so I'll keep the referrals coming :-)

Since I opened the topic I'm happy to mark it as solved since this is a fantastic step forward. Thanks again.

CBers

The only downside for me is that the OSD shows when skipping forward, but I can live with that in exchange for this streamlined OSD.

So I'm not alone then :)

I can't tell you how much I hate seeing the OSD during FF/RW, but not just with Emby.

Other app's behaviour on my Shield:

Plex - doesn't show the OSD on FF/RW.

Amazon Video - you have to bring up the OSD to click on FF/RW.

YouTube - you have to bring up the OSD to click on FF/RW.

Netflix - pauses when you FF/RW, which is worse.

Kodi - shows the OSD on FF/RW.

So as you can see, Emby is only similar to Kodi in respect of how the OSD behaves when FF/RW.

It used to be like Plex (main competitor).

Please regress this Emby implementation, or at least offer an option to disable the OSD during FF/RW.