Feature Request - Disable OSD controls on pause

adam1010

adam1010

I finally switched to using Emby (on a Mi Box Android TV) as my primary TV instead of Kodi!

The Mi Box has no dedicated play/pause button so you have to use the main select/enter button instead. It works fine except the On-Screen Display appears every single time I pause playback! I'm able to access those OSD controls with either the UP or DOWN buttons so I'd really really like to disable it from showing every time I pause.

I assuming the devs don't want to make this the default, so could we just add an extra option in the settings menu? "Don't show on-screen controls when paused"

I could probably deal with a much less robust OSD appearing (like Netflix does), but I figured just adding this optional setting would be much quicker to develop.  This is all I want for Christmas :-)
  • Agree 1

CBers

On a similar point, a single press of the select button on the Shield remote pauses playback, but if the OSD closes/is closed, a single press does not restart playback.

You have to have the OSD open to select play again.

On a similar point, a single press of the select button on the Shield remote pauses playback, but if the OSD closes/is closed, a single press does not restart playback.

You have to have the OSD open to select play again.

This will work as you expect in the next beta.

• Like 1

adam1010

@ebr  Thanks for the quick response. I'm a very frequent pauser (unfortunately) so it bothers me a bit more than your typical user I would imagine.

This may sound weird, but I don't like being reminded of how much time is left. I wouldn't say it's a spoiler exactly, but it does feel like it's giving away clues as to how things may end -- certainly not every time, but enough that I'd just prefer not to see it unless I ask for it (and unfortunately the silly remote didn't include a dedicated play/pause so I could ask for exactly what I want).

The other big thing I despise on the OSD is the star rating. I often watch movies that IMDB has rated poorly, and now everytime I pause I have to see the big "4.0/10 Stars" rating glaring at me, telling me I'm wasting my time  (or even worse, biasing me to think it's going to be crappy). Honestly I'd rather not see star ratings anywhere but that's another issue.

The clock is lower on my list of annoyances, but in general I'd rather not be reminded unless I ask for the time. The Netflix app hides the clock from their OSD on purpose (I actually haven't been able to find the time displayed anywhere in Netflix)

This probably sounds like the ramblings of a TV junkie that spends many hours per day watching TV (which wouldn't be far off) -- but I think it's a testament to how incredible the app is. You guys have done an amazing job with it and it's a struggle to even find these few tweaks. I think giving up Kodi where I was able to go in and edit the themes to remove unwanted elements spoiled me --- but I figured I'd plead for an extra checkbox in the settings menu to see if I had any karma stored up :-)

While I understand all of that, I think it is definitely a minority position.  I think most people, when pausing, want to see exactly where they are in the item.

Also, producing the overlay in that instance is visual confirmation that the item is paused and not simply frozen.  For instance, if you accidentally leaned on the pause button on the remote and the screen just froze, you may think something went wrong.  With current behavior - it is obvious what just happened.

• Like 1

maegibbons

@ebr  Thanks for the quick response. I'm a very frequent pauser (unfortunately) so it bothers me a bit more than your typical user I would imagine.

This may sound weird, but I don't like being reminded of how much time is left. I wouldn't say it's a spoiler exactly, but it does feel like it's giving away clues as to how things may end -- certainly not every time, but enough that I'd just prefer not to see it unless I ask for it (and unfortunately the silly remote didn't include a dedicated play/pause so I could ask for exactly what I want).

The other big thing I despise on the OSD is the star rating. I often watch movies that IMDB has rated poorly, and now everytime I pause I have to see the big "4.0/10 Stars" rating glaring at me, telling me I'm wasting my time  (or even worse, biasing me to think it's going to be crappy). Honestly I'd rather not see star ratings anywhere but that's another issue.

The clock is lower on my list of annoyances, but in general I'd rather not be reminded unless I ask for the time. The Netflix app hides the clock from their OSD on purpose (I actually haven't been able to find the time displayed anywhere in Netflix)

This probably sounds like the ramblings of a TV junkie that spends many hours per day watching TV (which wouldn't be far off) -- but I think it's a testament to how incredible the app is. You guys have done an amazing job with it and it's a struggle to even find these few tweaks. I think giving up Kodi where I was able to go in and edit the themes to remove unwanted elements spoiled me --- but I figured I'd plead for an extra checkbox in the settings menu to see if I had any karma stored up :-)

As you rightly surmised.... Yep you are weird :) :)

But we all have our hang-ups.

Krs

Mark

adam1010

Yeah I can definitely see this stance being in the minority which is why I proposed the non-default setting/option in the menu to alter the behavior.

If I can't get that through then I would settle for an option/setting to at least disable the clock and the star rating on the OSD.

I do a bit of Android development in my day job so if it's something you're cool with but don't want to spend the time on then I'm happy to volunteer my dev time.

adam1010

Follow-up:  I was just watching some TV and was trying to articulate what else bothered me about the OSD. Once you resume the show it lingers for like 5 seconds. I think if it went away immediately and stopped blocking the show that would make it a bit less intrusive.

adam1010

Certainly there are hacks to fix it, like pushing extra buttons to achieve simple actions -- but what's the point in the OSD hanging out blocking the screen for so long? The OSD is so large it's blocking a good 25% of the screen if you count the clock and everything -- once the user has decided they want to resume playback, why continue to block the screen?  If there is something I need to see at the bottom (such as a caption), now I have to rewind.

The OSD on Netflix is probably half the size of Emby and doesn't include a clock. Those guys know their stuff...

adam1010

@@ebr Great, I think shaving that 5sec from the OSD closing transition will definitely improve the situation.

And not to pour gas on this (because I think Emby is superior to Plex in pretty much every way), but when I use my Fire TV remote (which has a dedicated Play/Pause button), the DEFAULT BEHAVIOR on pause is to not display the OSD menu at all!!!!!!!

So apparently it's not all that uncommon if the leading guys in this space have chosen not to display the OSD on pause as their default. Hopefully that discovery will add some credibility to my request.

adam1010

@@Luke -- I was actually referring to Plex. Sorry, I should have clarified the home media streaming space. According to Google Play they have 50,000,000 downloads versus 100,000 for Emby so I figured they were a credible source.

Definitely give pausing a try on Plex and see if it doesn't feel nice not being bombarded from all sides of the screen with OSD overlays. It's so much less intrusive -- the OSD on pause feels like pop-up ads I have to hurry to close every time  (I think partially because I asked the TV to pause, I didn't ask for it to show me the menu)

Obviously not everyone prefers this but it seems common enough to make it an option at least if you don't want to make it the default.  Pretty please consider it :-)

*** I'm definitely not criticizing the way you have it, I just think there are multiple ways to go about it. It's a bug vs feature scenario :-)
Edited by adam1010

CBers

On my Shield TV, to pause in Plex, you have to press select twice. Once you bring the OSD up and once more to pause.

The OSD closes after 2-3 seconds.

To un-pause, it's the same method and timings.

adam1010

@CBers  Yeah my Shield does the same unless I'm using the Android TV remote app on my phone which has a separate Play/Pause button (instead of using the Select). You can use that app if you want to test it out.

I'm fine with buying an off-brand Android TV remote that has a dedicated Play/Pause button (like Fire TV has) if we can make the OSD go away when using that dedicated Pause button (the functionality would be off by default, enabled with an option/setting). Obviously I'd prefer it with the Select button as well if it's going to be hidden behind a non-default option anyways, but I'll take whatever the Emby gods will bestow upon me :-)

CBers

Perhaps a small pause icon could be displayed when paused, instead of the full OSD, just so that there is a visual indication of you pausing, other than the playback freezing :)

Closing the OSD sooner when paused may make it better, but in the new beta (1.5.04), the OSD doesn't appear when you un-pause.

maegibbons

Actually on further review I think I am supportive of:

1) Pause/Play Button on Fire TV NOT bringing up OSD BUT Hitting Select DOES

2) Instant dismissal of OSD on Resume OR max of 0.5 to 1 Sec.

Krs

Mark

but when I use my Fire TV remote (which has a dedicated Play/Pause button), the DEFAULT BEHAVIOR on pause is to not display the OSD menu at all!!!!!!!

I think that's most likely because they simply aren't programmed properly for that button on that device :).

I just did a quick test:

• Netflix:  pausing produces the OSD with progress bar etc.
  • Youtube: pausing produces the OSD with progress bar and other related items etc.
  • Sling TV: pausing produces the OSD with controls and menu
  • Google Movies: pausing produces the OSD with progress bar, controls etc.

I will adjust the app so that the OSD is dismissed when you resume but I think our other behaviors now are in-line with what is expected.

Thanks.

maegibbons

I will adjust the app so that the OSD is dismissed when you resume but I think our other behaviors now are in-line with what is expected..

Just got autoupgraded to .05a and the OSD disappearing straight away is actually a BIG improvement.

so well done to the OP for posting and for @@ebr in implementing this change.

Krs

Mark

adam1010

@ebr  Yeah I think dismissing the OSD quicker on resume was definitely an upgrade, nice work!

Thanks for the comparison -- looks like Plex is the only one you found not showing the OSD when using the Pause button, by default (although it's unclear if that's by design). I think I'm used to the minimalist approach VLC uses on PC where it just shows a pause icon overlay in the corner when you use space bar to pause.

I am in agreement that the current functionality should be left as the default.

So the next question would be, would you consider adding a config option to not display the OSD on pause? I saw @@maegibbons said he'd prefer it as well so I'm not alone :)  Seemed like @@CBers was in favor of a less robust OSD on pause as well (although I'm guessing his recommendation of adding the Pause animation is more work than just not showing the OSD, but either works for me) -- I would think a checkbox option would fit in nicely in the "Playback" section, maybe after the "Resume Rewind" option. 

It's difficult to explain how much the OSD on pause annoys me, so I'll just say this would really really make the Emby player more enjoyable for me.  I appreciate your consideration.  :)

jasonmcroy

I just wanted to comment quickly on this thread about how glad I am to see the OSD going away faster being added. I was just thinking about that last night because as opposed to the OP I like occasionally hitting the down button to pull up the OSD and see how much time is left in the show we are watching. Waiting for the OSD to go away on it's own was a little annoying. I know hitting the back button will make it go away but it's nice not to have to do that now.

Thanks to @@ebr for listening to and working with your users!

CBers

So the next question would be, would you consider adding a config option to not display the OSD on pause? I saw @@maegibbons said he'd prefer it as well so I'm not alone :) Seemed like @@CBers was in favor of a less robust OSD on pause as well (although I'm guessing his recommendation of adding the Pause animation is more work than just not showing the OSD, but either works for me) -- I would think a checkbox option would fit in nicely in the "Playback" section, maybe after the "Resume Rewind" option.

@@ebr I never realised until today that when paused, the OSD never hides.

Is there anyway of closing the OSD and putting up a paused image, or even after, say, 30s of being paused, actually STOPPING playback at that point?

Just thinking that if prolonged OSD is displayed, some TV's could get image retention.

Thanks.

@@ebr I never realised until today that when paused, the OSD never hides.

Is there anyway of closing the OSD and putting up a paused image, or even after, say, 30s of being paused, actually STOPPING playback at that point?

Just thinking that if prolonged OSD is displayed, some TV's could get image retention.

Thanks.

If you never realized it then it must not be much of a problem :).

We can't cancel the pause because some people will do that with Live TV for extended periods.