Unable to stream to Chromecast

btemple

Hi All,

I've recently tried to stream a movie to Chromecast, and for some reason this time it isn't working for me.  It's worked in the past (a couple of weeks ago), but now I'm not having any luck.  Any chance anyone has been seeing this problem recently or can help?

Key details:

Emby Windows Server version 3.2.36.0

Restarted Chromecast

Restarted Server (and server host)

Streams fine to Chrome Browser, iPad & Android apps

Other apps (Youtube, etc) stream fine to Chromecast

As far as I can tell, the only issue is with Emby -> Chromecast

Emby connects fine to Chromecast, and displays still images from various libraries.

When playing movies, the "remote control" in the browser cycles between Play and Pause (Pause for 3 seconds, Play for a fraction of a second).

Tried with several different movies, appears to be happening with all of them.  Including movies I know I've streamed successfully in the past.

Several logs are created when it's doing this, they all appear to be the same.  I've attached one here.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can offer advice!

Regards,
Blaise

Log.SentenceDiagrammer.txt

YAY! I'm not crazy!!! This is the same issue as mine!

Emby connects fine to Chromecast, and displays still images from various libraries.

When playing movies, the "remote control" in the browser cycles between Play and Pause (Pause for 3 seconds, Play for a fraction of a second).

Mine does the same thing...

I tried with a totally fresh re-installed server, same thing..

YAY! I'm not crazy!!! This is the same issue as mine!

Mine does the same thing...

I tried with a totally fresh re-installed server, same thing..

Actually, his video file has something unique in it which is why i asked him for a sample.

Source of the problem might be different, but the results is the same (behavior observed on the chromecast).

What's different in his video? That might help me finding the problem on my side.

Edited by x-cimo

We are falsely detecting the bmp embedded image as a video stream. It's resolved for the next release. it's playing fine for me. thanks.

Thanks Luke!  Just checking if that's in the beta release yet or not?  I just installed the beta release, and I'm getting the same thing there.  No rush, just thought I'd check it out once it's available publicly...

We are falsely detecting the bmp embedded image as a video stream. It's resolved for the next release. it's playing fine for me. thanks.

I'm unconvinced that the bmp is the issue. Looking at his log file, the image is not mapped to an output stream by ffmpeg, just the video, audio, and subtitle streams are mapped. I do see that he has the "magic" combination of mkv+h264+aac5.1 that seems to be causing my issue (which manifests the same way as OP's issue).

What version of Chromecast firmware are you using, btemple? The culprit seems to be the "preview" firmware, which many of us now have even though we didn't sign up for the preview program. Firmware version: 1.28.100555

If you know how, try re-encoding the file with ffmpeg, copying the video, but encoding the audio to AAC stereo rather than AAC 5.1, back into an mkv. That's obviously not really a solution, but it would verify something that I tried, which worked.

Yea I think you're right. the bmp being detected as a video stream is something that could potentially cause an issue, so it's still a valuable fix as well. thanks.

Hi Mawazi,

Thanks for looking at it.  I've checked, and you're right - I'm on Chromecast firmware 1.28.100555.  I've also encoded the clip using AAC stereo, instead of 5.1, and it does work on the Chromecast firmware version.  Looks like that may be (at least one of) the issues!  In case anyone cares, I've uploaded the new clip (that works) to the same location: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/my2ve8xritozpwq/AABLCv6gbiZb9ECH5rhvoUD_a?dl=0.  

Does anyone know if this is a problem with Chromecast, or how Emby interacts with it?  Would be nice to find a solution or configuration change as I don't look forward to re-encoding my library...

-Blaise

Hi Mawazi,

Thanks for looking at it.  I've checked, and you're right - I'm on Chromecast firmware 1.28.100555.  I've also encoded the clip using AAC stereo, instead of 5.1, and it does work on the Chromecast firmware version.  Looks like that may be (at least one of) the issues!  In case anyone cares, I've uploaded the new clip (that works) to the same location: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/my2ve8xritozpwq/AABLCv6gbiZb9ECH5rhvoUD_a?dl=0.  

Does anyone know if this is a problem with Chromecast, or how Emby interacts with it?  Would be nice to find a solution or configuration change as I don't look forward to re-encoding my library...

-Blaise

I would definitely say DON'T re-encode your library! This seems like an issue that can be fixed fairly easily once the exact cause is known. Hopefully this won't be a problem for long.