Pausing Live TV creates an Error

bcm00re
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

bcm00re

Tried a pause test tonight after watching Sunday Night Football on NBC. I paused it for 25 minutes with no problems! So that doesn't seem follow with the "the Roku's buffer is full" theory. I now wonder if this problem only occurs when trying to pause shortly after tuning to a channel. I'll try some more things this week and see if I can find a rhyme or reason.

Tried a pause test tonight after watching Sunday Night Football on NBC. I paused it for 25 minutes with no problems! So that doesn't seem follow with the "the Roku's buffer is full" theory.

Why did you come to that conclusion?  As I said above, my Roku was able to pause for roughly 30 minutes before it started playing again on its own.

bcm00re

Because the very same Roku that paused that long last night would only pause for a minute or less when I tested it last week. The only difference is that last week I tried pausing shortly after tuning to the channel.

I still don't think that is valid evidence of your conclusion that this is not Roku buffer related as there are a number of variables that would affect that.

It could be, however, that the Roku takes some time to establish its buffer so potentially pausing very quickly after playback starts could have an effect.

From everything we've seen so far, it does sound like the Roku is limiting the amount of time it will remain paused.  We don't see this behavior on any other platform.

bcm00re

I just did more testing and have some interesting tidbits:

• I tuned to a channel and only let it play a few seconds then paused.  After a few seconds it starting playing on its own.

• Next I went back to the Guide, then I tuned to the very same channel.  This time I let it play for 10 minutes (using using a timer) then I paused it.  Almost exactly 10 minutes later it started playing again on its own.

• Finally I exited Emby, then came back in and tuned to the same channel letting it play for 5 minutes before pausing.  Then 5 minutes later it started playing again on its own.

All testing was done using the same Roku 3 that I paused for 25+ minutes the other night (after having watched Sunday Night Football).  Based on these finding, the autonomous playing that I am experiencing doesn't seem to be a buffer-getting-full issue.  That said, it still might be a Roku issue.

Edited by bcm00re

• Solution

Just did some googling, and then playing "open ended streams", the resuming is happening internally on the Roku and there's nothing we can do about it. By open ended I mean that there is no set runtime, so you can just play indefinitely.

In my searching I found users reporting the same thing to some of our competitors. Here is one example of a few I found:

https://community.tablotv.com/t/paused-show-keeps-restarting/5075/39

So that explains the resuming.

• Like 1