AppleTV 4K HEVC

wolfgang

wolfgang

Hi,

could you please enable the native playback of HEVC files on the AppleTV 4K? With some other streaming solution I don't want to use any longer this could be done by manually editing the profile for this device on the server side, so it would play those files directly. Would be nice if Emby could play them natively too.

Hi.  We already do - for supported HEVC formats and containers.

Can you please describe exactly what you are trying that makes you think it doesn't work?

Thanks.

wolfgang

I ripped "The Terminator" for example from BluRay, video HEVC, audio AAC, container MP4 (ripped with MakeMKV/encoded with Handbrake), and it gets transcoded during playback. WebUI tells me the reason is because of unsupported video format.

Edit: right now I also only get around 30fps, so I think it's not even h/w transcoding.

Edit2: same with m4v and mkv containers (same codecs, different movies..).

Edited by wolfgang

wolfgang

Just got the latest server update, hardware transcoding working again. But still transcoding for no reason.

Maybe it is because my source file is 24fps? But still, Plex manages to do direct play o.O

Edit: attached log as text file.

Log.txt

Edited by wolfgang

Hi.  The specific flavor of hevc that file is encoded with (hev1) was reported as incompatible with the Apple TV.  Can you provide a sample file for testing?  You could PM me a dropbox or similar (as long as it doesn't require registration/login) link.

Thanks.

Thanks for the sample.

If I try to direct play it, the Apple TV reports it is incompatible.  This is on my non-4k running tvOS 11.  Can you please force close the Emby app on your device and then try and play this item?

Thanks.

wolfgang

The sample and also my other movies will not play now at all on AppleTV 4K because of "incompatible". Interestingly, some will play on Plex just fine (direct stream), some will play audio only (black screen). I encoded them all with Handbrake, and it seems to work with mp4 and not with m4v containers (black screen).

Okay, that's what I expected.  So I'll put it back.

Check your handbrake settings.  The codec you want to use is "hvc1" not "hev1".

wolfgang

OK thank you. But how do you think Plex makes it work? It's definitely directly streaming. Stream starts immediately, CPU very low, Plex reports direct streaming..

Edit:
Found this post here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/6kc4dm/anyone_able_to_get_x265hevc_to_direct_playstream/

It's about Plex, but the script using MP4Box to modify the file (header?) without any need to encode the video again works well for Emby too because, of course, the file will be playable by the AppleTV.

Encoding with Handbrake Nightly also solves the problem in the first place.

Edited by wolfgang

• 2 months later...
Everbrave

Okay, that's what I expected.  So I'll put it back.

Check your handbrake settings.  The codec you want to use is "hvc1" not "hev1".

can't the Emby server change the header on the fly before sending it to ATV?

Edited by Everbrave

Everbrave

Yes it's a possibility for the future, thanks.

How does the Emby-for-Kodi add-on deal with the HEVC playback issue for Kodi on ATV?

andyblac644

How does the Emby-for-Kodi add-on deal with the HEVC playback issue for Kodi on ATV?

kodi has it own player, and not tied to the apple player like emby.

• Like 1