Any successful AMD builds out there?

Jennice

Guest asrequested

Of course, the other consideration is what is doing the decoding. The CPU may be decoding, then feeding the GPU. But GPU decoding was causing a lot of problems, for me. So you may be seeing the CPU decoding and not the GPU.

Waldonnis

Glancing over the logs, the QuickSync encode attempts are all failing because they can't bind to a device, which may be a video driver issue or the iGPU isn't enabled (or "connected", even to a virtual monitor):

[h264_qsv @ 00000161b39ba620] No device available for encoder (device type qsv for codec h264_qsv).

If it's headless or you didn't connect the iGPU to a monitor (usually the case when you have a dGPU as well), then you'll have to force Windows to create a fake monitor for it (usually, you can just pull up the display settings and hit Detect to make this happen).  This assumes Windows can even see it...if not, it may be disabled in the BIOS and needs to be enabled first.  If it's enabled and shows up in Display Properties, then it's probably a driver issue and you should reinstall Intel's driver version rather than relying on the Microsoft version, as I'm not sure the latter comes with the appropriate library (wouldn't be the first time MS-packaged drivers omitted some files).

The rest of the failure logs are all showing issues with the input files - invalid data, packet size mismatches, refframes missing, etc.  So far, I'm not seeing an error indicative of a threading problem, though.  I'll look over these more thoroughly tomorrow to be sure.  Really, if you want to eliminate threads as an issue, try testing with one static file (not live tv) that you know succeeds when transcoding on its own, but spawn several different transcoding sessions of that file.  This would eliminate other variables like malformed streams or other decoding errors caused by or present in the files/streams themselves.

Jennice

You are correct, the server has no display connected.

I have read that installing a different GPU is likely to cause issues, but I didn't realize it would be such an issue if no display was attached. The system only has the iGPU.

Attaching a display for the sole purpose of enabeling QS is not an option. For the time being, I will stick to SW transcode, which works fine with TV using Thread count set to 1 in Emby. this way, I can show 4 transcoded TV channels @ 3 mbps at once (the limit of my HDHomeRun).

Now I just need to sort out the tuner sharing problem, or ask if Luke can set an enable/disable toggle in Emby.

Waldonnis

Well, you don't have to keep a monitor attached for QuickSync - Windows just needs to think it's connected to something (even if it's virtual) or else the driver never gets loaded/run.  I suppose if you RDP into the server to manage it, hitting detect in Display Properties might work to create the virtual monitor connection, but I've never tried it.  Worth a shot, even if you end up not using QuickSync.

• 1 month later...
mlapointe

Although not threadripper and a little bit older of a CPU,

I have a FreeNAS server that has been running like a top with Emby inside a jail.

Using a RS2BL040 w/ expansion board for the HDD controller.

12x1TB drives

3x6TB drives

2x2TB drives

3x500GB drives

and a smattering of whatever was laying around. 

Using ZFS I am able to make the first 20 drives listed look like 1 big 22TB drive.

5a6be456421b9_FreeNAS1.png

5a6be46427237_FreeNASDisk.png

5a6be63d18673_IMG_0932.jpg

• Like 1

Agreed backup and restore plugin worked well for me when I stood up my beta testing service.

Do you run any power monitoring or temp monitoring software? I am interested to see how yours performs. A buddy of mine just purchased an 8700K. We noticed that the two cores were always out of range for heat than the others when he gamed on the system. It was hard to OC much above 4.7 GHz. We ended up popping the IHS lid off (intel stopped using solder in the Intel 3rd gen and then on all newer CPUs). and using better thermal liquid on it. Now we can OC HIM TO 5.2 GHz easily. He also noted that he liked the Asus BIOS and overclocking systems more than the Gigabyte ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

ASUS always was the preference for gamers. I really dislike ASUS, but I don't game :)

Edited by Doofus

mlapointe

This system has an ASUS board (don't ask me for model numbers right now, I don't want to look =P).

But the case... that is the key. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219038&cm_re=norco_24-_-11-219-038-_-Product

Buy you need a SAS raid card like the Intel card and the expansion board  I listed earlier  (btw, order 6 extra sas cables like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116093, )  

mlapointe

I've been liking supermicro servers as of late, and only get systems with IPMI. No AMT crap. IPMI is well supported.

Right now with the past year of Intel flaws (ie AMT) , and now with Meltdown and Spectre, Intel has gone downhill, AMD isn't innocent either, but right now they have slightly less colossal flaws.  

But if you want to save some cash, https://unixsurplus.com/collections/1u-servers/products/supermicro-cse512-260-1u-half-depth-server?variant=41599335188

Jennice

I've been liking supermicro servers as of late, and only get systems with IPMI. No AMT crap. IPMI is well supported.

Right now with the past year of Intel flaws (ie AMT) , and now with Meltdown and Spectre, Intel has gone downhill, AMD isn't innocent either, but right now they have slightly less colossal flaws.  

But if you want to save some cash, https://unixsurplus.com/collections/1u-servers/products/supermicro-cse512-260-1u-half-depth-server?variant=41599335188

This post went ove rmy head... Phew, good that my rig works as it is, even though it's intel. :)

• 2 weeks later...
snorkel

Not Ryzen, but my server is running an older FX8350 8 core at 4gzh and it handles everything no problem.

I don't think you would have any problems running a Ryzen 7 (8 core/16 thread) with Emby.

The build would not be any different than an Intel system.