Emby Server (Rewrite?)

Fratopolis
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Fratopolis

So when I tried to update the server to 3.2.36.0 it would not complete a restart and when re-opened it would be back at 3.2.35.0

So I tried again and the same thing. I went to re-download and install the new version over it and Schedules Direct failed. Even after their services came back online. I then noticed the server application I installed was new rewritten code. My library was all messed up so I restored from Veeam everything including metadata and cache folder to fix the issue and all was well in the world again after I manually downloaded the portable server to overlap the version that would not update.

I had seen this new rewritten version before but had not tested it yet. Is this a finished product that needs a fresh install and library rescan?

post-89948-0-86410800-1509680626_thumb.png

• Like 1

First - schedules direct is currently offline for maintenance. 

This new version is stable. It should be fine if you just run a library scan and then double check library permissions for each user.

Fratopolis

SD: They are no longer showing offline and a refresh of the Guide just worked 10-15 min ago.

Re-write: Was compatibility or smoother operation the reason for a rewrite.

PS. a rewrite must have been a pain. How long have you all been working on it.

Fratopolis

Thanks for responding and once again keep up the flipping awesome work guys.

You guys are ahead of most companies. Microsoft will be applauding you. I remember something about plex ditching win32 their client but not the server end. I could be wrong but either way you rock.

Jennice

Thanks for responding and once again keep up the flipping awesome work guys.

You guys are ahead of most companies. Microsoft will be applauding you. I remember something about plex ditching win32 their client but not the server end. I could be wrong but either way you rock.

Probably more like suing them or buying the team to end Emby. Someone made a plug-in to enhance 7MC. M$ changed some code to block his program, and "persuaded" him to no longer work on it.

Edited by Jennice

Fratopolis

That plug-in was not developed by the emby team if I am not mistaken. Like Kodi, Kodi is not responsible at least so far for the plugins created.

Fratopolis

Also Microsoft is actually encouraging companies to ditch Legacy coding as they want to remove support for it all together within the windows OS. And for that I applaud the initiative.

Edited by Fratopolis

Jennice

That plug-in was not developed by the emby team if I am not mistaken. Like Kodi, Kodi is not responsible at least so far for the plugins created.

No, the program I referred to had nothing to do with Emby (I don't think I claimed that?). I was merely pointing out that M$ not always choosed to give credit to creative programmers. If it's to their dismay (for whichever reason), they can make life difficult instead of co-operating.

Fratopolis

Okay I understand now.

I was just trying to make a reference that Microsoft wants to get rid of an old platform that many are still writing new code for and programming in.

Basically just a figure of speech saying good job to the Emby team.

Side note. Like your average customer my mom does not say how much she loves emby but instead says "where are my subtitles" lol.

For which I say "dang it just turn up the TV if you don't know what they're saying, they will get to it if they get to it, otherwise you can go back to just plain old over the air TV without DVR or buy cable TV again"

Edited by Fratopolis