4K content from Chrome and IOS Emby app show as 1080p on a Vizio TV M70-E3

benoitdansereau

Guest asrequested

Anything you need from me, let me know. And of course, I'm on windows. But it shouldn't make a difference.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

dannygp87

Anything you need from me, let me know. And of course, I'm on windows. But it shouldn't make a difference.

Thanks Doofus, let's see what Luke says when he can take a look on this :)

Edited by dannygp87

I've checked in some changes to our chromecast receiver. Please restart your casting app and try again. Let me know if there's a difference. Thanks.

Sizzlebox

I've checked in some changes to our chromecast receiver. Please restart your casting app and try again. Let me know if there's a difference. Thanks.

Going to try this tonight. What do you mean by “casting app”? I do it via Chrome in browser— so, restart Chrome?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Sizzlebox

I'm wondering if the Chromecast in these TVs updates itself when we restart the tv?

I’m not sure. Something did update recently though. The Dolby Vision icon has changed.

Sizzlebox

Any updates to address this? I’d reaaaaaally love for this to work. I’ll donate $5! :)

The problem is that the chromecast api's are saying hevc is not supported. I realize the TV supports, the question is whether or not it's supported through Chromecast.

@, as a test, can you try forcing direct play via user permissions? Then try to play a 4k hevc mkv with ac3 audio. Thanks.

Sizzlebox

The problem is that the chromecast api's are saying hevc is not supported. I realize the TV supports, the question is whether or not it's supported through Chromecast.

@, as a test, can you try forcing direct play via user permissions? Then try to play a 4k hevc mkv with ac3 audio. Thanks.

How do I force direct play via user permissions?

Luke, will EAC3 work? I've got a 4k no HDR with EAC3.

It should, but try all of the variations that you have. I'm aware the TV supports them natively. The issue is whether they are allowed via it's built in Chromecast.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

OK, first round of quick testing. Tried 3 different movies. One without HDR (Bright), and 2 with HDR. Casting to my display, Bright wouldn't play. I saw the poster/backsplash, the progress bar came up, but playback didn't begin. The other two did play. My display changed to HDR10, also. But I never got audio. One of the movies had an AC3 track. I selected that before playback, the display info said that was what was being used, but no sound was produced. Trying other audio codecs, no audio was produced. Also, while playing, playback would freeze briefly and periodically, then resume. I have a feeling that was due to whatever was happening with the audio??

Guest asrequested

Bright

5acb91b6744a1_Snapshot_32.jpg    

Justice League

5acb92668a2b7_Snapshot_33.jpg

Blade Runner 2049 (Playback of this one, was a little jerky)

5acb93791f0ba_Snapshot_34.jpg

We've seen before that level 51 h264 on chromecast won't play, so that one's not surprising.

Guest asrequested

On further experimentation, 4k HDR with audio was achieved, with these user settings. I had previously disabled conversion without re-encoding. With this, the movie is directly streamed, not directly played.

5acbb4c44180a_Snapshot_36.jpg