Anonymised Logs

adrianwi

adrianwi

A checkbox in the server settings somewhere to hide the domain and IP address in log files so they can be uploaded for troubleshooting without needing to be edited.

• Like 46

• 5 months later...
adrianwi

Can I give this a little bump?  I needed to attach another log file earlier in the week, and lots of other posts ask for people to submit theirs.  Nobody should really be asked to provide the current log files which contain lots of identifiable data (e.g. domain/IP details) on a public forum.  

Ok, so it's not too hard to find/replace in a text editor, but it can't be hard to build this into the server settings either?

• Like 1

arche

Or can the forum just have the permissions changed to upload from members and only allow downloads from admins/mods/devs? I know other forum scripts can do this, just wondering if the current forum has this option?

Or can the forum just have the permissions changed to upload from members and only allow downloads from admins/mods/devs? I know other forum scripts can do this, just wondering if the current forum has this option?

We went through that already and ran into all kinds of problems so that isn't really a good option.  Thanks.

• 3 months later...
adrianwi

Is this any further up the pecking order?  

Having played with some betas and needed to upload logs more frequently, this would save a lot of time and make me more willing to help test.

Logs files containing domains and IP addresses is just asking for trouble :(

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
adrianwi

The lack of any progress with this means that I'm just a simple user now, running older stable versions and not trying any of the beta versions :(

Edited by adrianwi

dcol

I no longer post logs, so that just hurts the devs in trying to resolve issues. It is to their advantage, so I am not sure why the hesitation.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I guess the majority of people just want their issues fixed timely so spend the few seconds it takes to sanitise their logs.

• Like 1

dcol

Poor answer. Too easy to miss something. And what about newbies who don't even realize there is sensitive info in there. Luke commonly just asks for logs with no warnings.Very irresponsible. And don't think people aren't looking.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

It wasn’t an answer, it was an explanation of why I’m not also behaving like a five year old that doesn’t get what they want immediately.

You aren’t hurting the devs. You are only hurting yourself

• Like 1

maegibbons

@@CBers, not that I recall.

Another one to keep you busy then Carlo?

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

If any of you guys want to write up a quick blob I'd happily post it quickly.

Or we can just list the ideal things that can be changed such as external IP.

What else?

maegibbons

IPTV credentials

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

I think ideally there would be

All ip address

your domainname

IPTV credentials

serverids

server apikeys (not sure if they appear in log though)

potentially Emby provider apikeys

Edited by Happy2Play

All ip address

Only external one's please.  Obfuscating all IP addresses can make it very hard to track a particular device doing something.  Or, do it in such a way that each IP is still unique...