Handling of two-part TV episodes that are single files?

Marc_G

Marc_G

Hi all,

Here's a question about TV series. Suppose you've got a TV series that has episodes that are two-part, and represented in thetvdb as separate episodes. For example, Check out Dark Skies (awesome series!) which has a two-part first episode, The Awakening (1) and The Awakening (2).

Ripped from the DVD, the two-parter is actually a single file. It's easy enough to call the single file Dark Skies S01E01, but that misses out on the metadata, primarily the description, of the second of the second part.

Is there any alternative handling for titles like this that allows all the metadata to be preserved and viewed in MB? Of course I could always split the file at the appropriate spot, making two files out of it. Or ignore the fact that the description doesn't exactly match the extra long file.

This is clearly a very minor issue, but I figured perhaps it has already been addressed with some smart solution...

Marc

Koleckai Silvestri

There are a number of multiple episode naming schemes listed at:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/wiki/Library-Structure

My files are named like this: Grimm.S03E05. El Cucuy.mkv. 

The double episode example is:

Grimm.S03E07E08.Cold Blooded _ Twelve Days of Krampus.mkv

In the system, the overviews are both stored but it still appears as one extra long episode.

• Like 1

Good day,

The naming like this:

S01E01-E02 Someshow name.mkv

As example not working for you?

My best

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
gnollo

I have followed the instructions and placed two files in the same folder [movieabc] named

movieabcpart1.avi

movieabcpart2.avi

Mediabrowser plays only the first file, and I cannot find a way in the menu to select the second file.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance folks.

gcw07

I have followed the instructions and placed two files in the same folder [movieabc] named

movieabcpart1.avi

movieabcpart2.avi

Mediabrowser plays only the first file, and I cannot find a way in the menu to select the second file.

What am I doing wrong?

That isn't what this topic was really about. It was about when two tv episodes are in one file. Movies split into two parts is something completely different. For the most part we recommend you just using something like mkvmerge and merge the two files together to create one single file.

• Like 1

gnollo

That isn't what this topic was really about. It was about when two tv episodes are in one file. Movies split into two parts is something completely different. For the most part we recommend you just using something like mkvmerge and merge the two files together to create one single file.

Thanks for letting me know. It was working in the previous version of MediaBrowser (2.0). It still says it works in your guide in the Multi-file and Multi-disc movies

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/#Movies

Are you going to update that page and remove the Multi-file and multi-disc movies section as it is no longer supported?

Thanks

Thanks for letting me know. It was working in the previous version of MediaBrowser (2.0). It still says it works in your guide in the Multi-file and Multi-disc movies

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/#Movies

Are you going to update that page and remove the Multi-file and multi-disc movies section as it is no longer supported?

Thanks

@@Luke

Did we removed multi-file support for movies at latest builds?

WWWestern

movieabcpart1.avi

movieabcpart2.avi

What am I doing wrong?

I believe that they should be like this (space-hyphen-space before "part"):
movieabc - part1.avi
movieabc - part2.avi
  • Like 1

WWWestern

I create fake item, placed 2 files.

53563fade716a_fake1.png

Run Scan library. Viola!

5356400086ce6_Fake.png

Notice red ring.

gnollo

I believe that they should be like this (space-hyphen-space before "part"):
movieabc - part1.avi
movieabc - part2.avi

Followed your suggestion, renamed the files, rescanned the directory, re-played the movie, it only plays the first file, just like before.

In 2.0, you had to to enable: “EnableNestedMovieFolders” in the MediaBrowserXml.config. How do you do that now?

gnollo

I create fake item, placed 2 files.

53563fade716a_fake1.png

Run Scan library. Viola!

5356400086ce6_Fake.png

Notice red ring.

I use MediaBrowser classic, is that Mediabrowser Theater?

gnollo

Here the tut for using the server web client:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/730-mb3-server-using-the-web-client/

It old tho, will get updated soon.

Thanks, but I control the experience with a media center remote, I don't think it would work for me. I also tested MB3 Theater, I have the same problem. I used the server web client to see if it would show in the additional details, and it does.

I just can't play it using the classic or the theatre version....

MBC does not currently support mult-part items.  The best thing to do right now is combine the files like Tikuf suggested.

gnollo

MBC does not currently support mult-part items.  The best thing to do right now is combine the files like Tikuf suggested.

Thanks for confirming, I can only reiterate my original suggestion, which is to update

http://mediabrowser3...ructure/#Movies

in order to reflect the change in functionality. This should help other fellow users who are finding this an issue like I did.

Regards

Koleckai Silvestri

Wiki on github needs to be updated as well. That is where the dashboard links to.

Good day,

The problem I have this settings ( 2 parts movies) and forgot what is what now.

M best

it is a core supported feature and over time it will be implemented. for most clients, once they have playlist support they can use that to handle this pretty easily.

How is resume tracking handled with mult-part items?

it is a core supported feature and over time it will be implemented. for most clients, once they have playlist support they can use that to handle this pretty easily.

as individual videos. not ideal and can be improved later, but right now they're not even playable so I think most people would take that for the time being.