Which TV to buy?

CBers

Harblar

I did some more digging around and basically what I've learned is that none of the LG sets pass (bitstream) lossless audio from internal apps. Apparently that would require eARC, which isn't widely available yet. The "Dolby Atmos decoding" is pretty much a sales pitch since it's just decoding any atmos passed from or through the tv and passing it back over ARC as a lossy Atmos track (Dolby digital +). The other sales pitch is the Dolby Atmos playback via the internal speakers, which requires the 2 built in subwoofers, but really isn't anything close to a true surround sound Atmos setup. That being said. the only difference is the lack of subwoofers on the B7A. So, unless you plan to fully rely on the internal speakers on the TV for your audio needs (I think it's been close to 20 years since I've done that! LOL), I'd definitely save any money you can by buying the B7A over the other versions, though I have seen some C7's getting priced pretty low on amazon (open box and/or refurbs.... there are even some unopened new ones being listed as "used- Like New" for a good bit less).I've even seen some E7's getting remarkably close in price (so If picture on glass is a big deal for you, something to keep an eye out for) Ultimately I'm going to go with whichever gets me the best deal.

As for the streaming end of things, I pulled the trigger on an Oppo 203. I'm going to try my damnedest to develop a DLNA profile for it (I've seen someone had a profile for a 103 and that should get it pretty close) and then I'll be able to browse Emby on my Ipad and have it play direct to the Oppo when I pick a movie. That's the plan anyway. I'll report back with my findings once I get it all hooked up.

Edited by Harblar

CBers

The latest firmware version (04.70.10) for the LG's now supports Dolby Atmos True HD playback over HDMI.

Harblar

More spotty marketing info though. What the firmware does, to my understanding (since I don't have any of the hardware to actually test... Yet) is allow the tv to decode Atmos tracks received (previously only from internal TV apps) over HDMI from other devices, such as Apple TV 4k or a UHD disc player. After it decodes the lossless track it then outputs it to the TV speakers and/or Soundbar/AVR (via ARC) as lossy DD+ Atmos. 

In summary, if you want true Lossless Playback you need a separate device to output it to an AVR with a full surround setup. I may be wrong, but that's the take away I've got from reading 50 or so of the most recent pages on the B7/C7 owners thread over at AVS Forum.

As it stands, within the next couple weeks I'll have a B7A and Oppo 203 with which I can do some limited testing.  My AVR is an Emotvia UMC-1 Preamp processor that doesn't support ARC. Nor do I have the necessary speaker/room setup to due actual Dolby Atmos. Within the next 6 months I will be moving into a House I'm currently remodeling and will likely upgrade the receiver/speakers at that point to do actual Atmos playback and then I'll see what is really possible with it, if someone doesn't beat me to the punch. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
CBers

Update

So, just purchased via a #BlackFriday deal, a 55" LG OLED 4K TV (55C7V) and an LG SJ9 soundbar.

Now to get it hung on the wall and plumbed in :D

andyblac644

Update

So, just purchased via a #BlackFriday deal, a 55" LG OLED 4K TV (55C7V) and an LG SJ9 soundbar.

Now to get it hung on the wall and plumbed in :D

I looked (onlne) at the 65" version this morning, just not if it worth it yet for to upgrade from my EF950V

legallink

@@CBers I bought the b7a just about a month ago and we really like it. I’ve got it hooked up to an Apple TV and a receiver with some elac speakers and so far very happy. We don’t have any 4K content but the picture is fantastic.

Be aware that getting the right color balance is a little tricky. However coming from our Panasonic plasma which died unexpectedly, we are thrilled. Colors pop, blacks are great. There is much less washout from the sun (lots of sunlight in our viewing room which we have no intention of controlling).

Remote is a bit odd but we control everything with our Apple TV.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Diedrich

I had my dad give TCL 4K TVs a shot this summer since they were getting good reviews. He has been very happy with the picture and Roku experience since it's the default interface to manipulate the TV and my mid-70s parents are already familiar with the Roku UI.

The limited time I had in setting up the TVs and watching a few TV shows and streaming from my Emby box to their house, I was very impressed and pleased with the picture quality and proven baked-in Roku experience. The prices can't be beat, and I read a review saying how TCL was preferred over the other low-cost brands.

If I were purchasing for myself and wanted the best picture, I'd get a HDR or Dolby Vision, the latter preferred. 1080p Dolby Vision sets are getting better pictures than 2160p without those technologies.

Edited by Diedrich

Guest asrequested

The vizio has HDR and Dolby vision. I like that it's just a display. I have no use for anything other than the picture. I think the vizio gives me more of what I want than the TCL.

Jdiesel

When I was TV shopping this summer I had it narrowed down between a Sony XBR-65X900E and the Vizio P65-E1. In the end I went with the Sony and have been happy with it. TCL TVs aren't widely available in Canada so they weren't even on my radar.

I'm not sure if this applies to just the 900e or all recent TVs but the motion interpolation on the 900e is amazing. I used to fight with refreshrate switching and audio sync on all of my previous TVs as I'm very sensitive to judder and lipsync issues but with the 900e I leave my display at 60hz and use the Cinemotion setting and everything is great. Smooth natural looking motion with no audio sync issues and not need to fight with switching refresh rates.

Guest asrequested

I'm trying not to spend a bunch of money on a TV. I really don't like all the 'smart' crap. I just want a decent picture. That's why I'm favoring the vizio, it's a display. Most of the TV stuff has been removed, and it's getting great reviews for the picture quality. I'll have to roll by Costco and take a look at them.

Waldonnis

When I was TV shopping this summer I had it narrowed down between a Sony XBR-65X900E and the Vizio P65-E1. In the end I went with the Sony and have been happy with it. TCL TVs aren't widely available in Canada so they weren't even on my radar.

I'm not sure if this applies to just the 900e or all recent TVs but the motion interpolation on the 900e is amazing. I used to fight with refreshrate switching and audio sync on all of my previous TVs as I'm very sensitive to judder and lipsync issues but with the 900e I leave my display at 60hz and use the Cinemotion setting and everything is great. Smooth natural looking motion with no audio sync issues and not need to fight with switching refresh rates.

Everyone I've talked to says the 900E is just a solid unit in general - even some of the snobs.  Sony's recent generations have really nailed it on the processing side.  While it's really noticeable on the LED sets, even the Sony OLED shows a slight improvement compared to the LG models (with the same panel) once scaling and processing gets involved.  I've heard good things about some of the Vizios as well, and the TCLs are reputed to be a really good value for the featureset (at least some models).

There are owners threads on avsforum worth looking at as well, since you get to see all of the quirks and firmware issues that people run across (every model has quirks, so don't get depressed when reading them  :P ).  I've been eyeballing an OLED for years, but haven't had the cash or need quite yet.  I keep tabs on one particular TCL model and I think two Vizio models for when I'm ready to replace my third monitor/bedroom telly (no need for OLED or anything costly in there, although it would be nice).

As for "smart features"...don't bother looking for a unit without them because you'll pay either slightly less (and I mean VERY slightly; even licensing Roku for a television costs less per unit than a pizza) or maybe even more for a "dumb" monitor with the same panel and processing as its "smart" consumer cousin.  It's not a trade-off between image quality, features, and price these days with "smart" vs "dumb" - it's all a commodity at this point outside of things like OLED or other more advanced panel/processing tech (or brand/badging).  Hilariously, some of the "dumb" monitors these days cost more than their consumer cousin models with the same panel simply because they're marketed to businesses.  I guess saying it's "for business" makes it better or worth the price hike...

Look at the panel and processing if picture quality matters most to you and just ignore the rest of the features if you won't use them, but don't overlook a good panel/processor just because it has a consumer-facing OS.  And, I personally despise motion processing on televisions and prefer refresh rate matching, but to each their own.  If you think you're sensitive to judder and pull down...yeah, I'm probably much worse and it can really ruin immersion for me.  I just wish Hollywood would finally move up from the early-20th-century framerates that were adopted for a different financial and logistical time and more fully embrace 60Hz or higher for content creation.  It's a LOT more costly to do so, given the proliferation of CG in films now, but meh.  Don't get me started on broadcasting, although they at least have bandwidth restrictions (interlacing is the devil, but at least the myriad of reasons for using it are understandable, unlike film framerates).

Diedrich

Whatever you get, be sure to look it up to find picture setting tweaks that have been posted by sites that use professional equipment to tune the picture quality.

• 1 month later...
Larry_Gilmore

Whatever you get, be sure to look it up to find picture setting tweaks that have been posted by sites that use professional equipment to tune the picture quality.

Great suggestion friend I agree with you.  :)

Jdiesel

I would actually advise against using picture settings posted on sites like RTing or if you do decide to use them only use them as a starting point. Every panel is slightly different even those from the same production run. If you are unsure how to calibrate your display or what to look for when doing it it is best not to mess around too much. I good starting point is setting your display to Movie or Cinema which will typically target a D65 whitepoint. Then use a calibration disc or video file to set your contrast and blacklevels.

If you really want to start messing around with color accuracy and gamma levels you need to proper tools as the human eye is not sensitive enough to notice. I recommend using a Xrite i1Display Pro and either HCFR (free) or ChromaPure (Paid).

Edited by Jdiesel

Guest asrequested

I tried using some of those. Bad idea. I calibrated it to my own tastes, in the end. Every environment is different, so experiment and find what works for you.

CBers

I would actually advise against using picture settings posted on sites like RTing or if you do decide to use them only use them as a starting point. 

Exactly what I did when I got my LG C7V.

• 4 weeks later...
snorkel

I tried using some of those. Bad idea. I calibrated it to my own tastes, in the end. Every environment is different, so experiment and find what works for you.

So what TV did you go with?  I didn't see this post until now and I do have a 2016 Vizio P series and it's great no issues with it except for surround sound with the Shield.

The other recent issue with Vizio is a big batch of them seem to have some issues with a vertical white bar that flashes across the screen.  Seems to mostly affect the 65 inch models.

Guest asrequested

I bought an M55-E0. It's been really good, so far.

https://www.vizio.com/tvs/m55e0.html

I do have one weird thing, happen. Sometimes when I stand up quickly and start walking, the screen goes black. If I stand still when it goes black, it stays black. But as soon as I move, it comes back. I don't blame the tv. I've always had strange interactions with electronics. One of these days I'm going get my bio-metrics observed and measured :)

snorkel

I bought an M55-E0. It's been really good, so far.

https://www.vizio.com/tvs/m55e0.html

I do have one weird thing, happen. Sometimes when I stand up quickly and start walking, the screen goes black. If I stand still when it goes black, it stays black. But as soon as I move, it comes back. I don't blame the tv. I've always had strange interactions with electronics. One of these days I'm going get my bio-metrics observed and measured :)

LOL.    Glad you like it, they have really nice picture and the fact they are technically not a "Smart TV" is a plus.   Have you had any issues with the Shield and the loud screeching/tone noise?

Guest asrequested

I don't have a shield. I use an HTPC that's connected through my receiver, via USB-C to HDMI, from displayport through the Thunderbolt 3 controller.

Edited by Doofus