Performance on MB3 vs MB2?

sangerhonda

sangerhonda

I'll start off by saying I am no expert and any help is appreciated.  Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to get the log files, so I will get them up tonight after work.

My home setup was the following:

• Home Server running WHS2011
  • 4 Media Center PC's and 1 gaming system all with Win7
  • All behind a 1Gb switch
  • All Media centers ran MB2 with core AVC and ffdshow

One of the media centers was giving me issues so I wanted to do a clean install and I decided to load win8.1 and Media Browser 3 classic.  I decided to try LAV for the codecs.  On the Server I loaded Media Browser 3 Server.

Everything works but performance is slow.  What i mean by this, is when I am running a movie and I forward a couple times, it takes a few minutes for the movie to start playing again.  I tried different movies and get the same results.  I never had or currently have this issue with my other MB2 client systems that connect to the WHS directly without MB3 server.  Is this expected?

From a networking perspective, with MB3 server on WHS, does the MB3 client have to go through the gateway and before with MB2 it didn't?  I am guessing here.

What version of MBC are you running?

The current release version directly plays your media just like MB2 did so any performance during playback is unrelated.

If, however, you have installed a dev version of MBC (130+) then there is some experimental streaming logic in there and you need to go back to the server and either implement the path substitution feature or define your library with UNC paths so that MBC can directly access it.

sangerhonda

I don't have the system in front of me but i downloaded and installed it yesterday.  So whatever version was available yesterday.  I did define the library with the UNC path.  I learned the hard way after the install I kept getting the error "not able to read...".  Went back and realized when i defined the library i pointed to the local drive on the WHS and not the UNC path.

Then I can't explain any differences.  Once playback starts, it is WMC, not us in control and it is pretty much exactly the same as MB2.