Unable to select files to play

RanmaCanada

RanmaCanada

Recently I have noticed that on my Android box, some of my files are unable to be played.  It is starting to get rather freaking annoying, especially as I have a large collection, and it decides randomly what shows/movies I can and can not play.  If I go to the same show on my phone, or another android box I can select and play the files no problem.  If I select a different show on the same Android box, it might let me play, or it might have the same issue as shown below.  

Top is my phone, where I can click and play with no issues, bottom is my android box where I am unable to select files at all (notice there is no play button to press).  Why is this happening?  I am at the point where I am seriously going to throw everything out the picture window.  I have stopped and started Emby, uninstalled and reinstalled it.  Why is this happening?  I have Premiere and I have not gone over the 15 device limitation.

Both devices are running Android 6.  I never had any problems with my Android box until the last set of updates.  At first I thought it was a directory issue, but it obviously is not as these files play perfectly fine on my phone, on my xboxone, and in my web browser.  

59f636fc7e3d2_Screenshot_20171029161142.59f634e6be9e8_Screenshot_20171029155408.

RanmaCanada

Ok here are the log files.  Since it didn't have any rhyme or reason to what the logs were, and some of them were pretty big, I just uninstalled, and reinstalled, and verified that the issue was still happening, which it was, and just zipped the whole folder (by looking at the logs it appears good old android didn't delete the old ones on uninstall, it just hid them and put them back when I re-installed).  I am using the latest version of the server, Version 3.2.35.0 and the latest version of the android app from the app store 2.9.65.

logs (1).zip

by the way the app will not have restored it's own log files. that sounds like a cloud backup feature you must be using.

RanmaCanada

I don't have any cloud backup features installed on this box that I know of.  So this is bizarre.  Should I just wipe the box completely?  I do not have any problems with doing that.  Just let me know what you would like me to do, and I shall follow suit.

Thank you for you time.  I know it is valuable.

Well in one of your most recent logs i notice you were actually playing video and were able to pause and resume. Is this an issue on every screen or just in certain places?

RanmaCanada

it's an issue on this particular box, and as I said it's only random.  Some libraries it let's me play the files perfectly fine, some it gives me the selection above where I am not allowed to play any files whatsoever.  It is rather frustrating as I can't understand why I can play some files, and others I can not.  What is even more bizarre is I have the option to play the entire season, but not individual shows, on the libraries that this error occurs on.  But when I play the entire season, I still do not get the option to play individual shows after I have played an episode.

It is very infuriating.

Can you explain this a little more?

some it gives me the selection above where I am not allowed to play any files whatsoever. 

Thanks.

RanmaCanada

In some parts of my library I am allowed to play files like normally, in other parts of my library I can only play the files if I play the entire season.  I am not able to play the files individually, like I can in other parts of the library.  For example.  if I go to my anime section, some shows I can play individual episodes from certain shows with no problems, other shows I can only play the entire season, and I am unable to play the episodes in that season individually (the episodes in the season show exactly what you see above for Star Trek Discovery).  There is no rhyme or reason as to what it is doing.  It is randomly deciding to let me either play a series one by one, or the entire season only.

The only way I could possibly show this better is if I take a video I guess?  I do apologize if the words fail to convey my thoughts properly.

RanmaCanada

That is on my phone, where I can play and it will play perfectly fine on my phone.  It is on my Android box, where I do not have the option.  That is the issue.  The top picture is from my phone, the bottom one is the same show on the same server on my Android box and it is not allowing me to play any files.  That is the problem.  I can play the entire season if i wanted to, but I am unable to select individual episodes.  If I go to another show, it might let me play individual episodes, or it might only let me play the entire season, with no option to play an individual episode at all.  This is the issue I am having.  It has no pattern that I can detect, and it is very frustrating.

RanmaCanada

I am using a mouse and keyboard as the firmware (Xannytech for p12 boards) I am using does not recognize my remote no matter what I do.  I have tried the Android TV version of the app, but honestly it's not my cup of tea and I do quite prefer using a mouse to browse through everything rather than using the up and down arrows on the keyboard.  It has worked flawlessly up until the last month or so, when this issue started happening.  

RanmaCanada

Yes I am unable to play individual episodes.  I can only select the entire season, which is pointless, especially if I am using an external player and I need to watch say episode 100, like in Dragon Ball Super.  At this point Emby is beyond broken for me and unusable. :(  I was finally able to get a fresh log file from the installation.  I have included it if you would to take a look.  I am still having the same issue where i can only play the entire season and not individual episodes.

0a1bd41a-49a8-467c-9f5c-693eabde4b25.log

RanmaCanada

Ok I will attach several.  I tried installing Plex yesterday, but it's a pile of crap and can't handle my anime at all, and get the shows confused with live action shows.  So I hobbled through watching some episodes by clicking play on the season, watching the first episode in SPMC, then when the episode would end, exit SPMC, mark the episode as watched, and then click on the name of the show so that the next up episode would change to the actual next episode as it would now recognize that I had watched the episode I had marked.  Then repeat ad nauseum for each episode. 

Sorry I like the stylized subs and it's easier to do things in SPMC.

logs.zip

RanmaCanada

Even with the web browser I am unable to play individual episodes.  I can only select the entire season.  At this point I am just going to wipe the freaking box.  If it still causes issues after having the firmware on it reset, I'll go bananas :).  I will update and let you know.  Once again thank you for your patience and time.

I am sad to report back that even after wiping the box and putting a new firmware on it, it STILL does the exact same thing.  It will not allow me to select individual episodes at all.  I have tried through the web browser and through the app, and it will not work at all.

Edited by RanmaCanada