Auto play forced subtitles

legallink

legallink

The app doesn’t automatically play forced subtitles but should. Any chance it can be altered?

Also is there a reason in the subtitle menu you have to “save” the selection? It seems like an unnecessary step. Once selected it should use that selection. No need to select and then also press save.

What kind of subtitles are they (internal/external and format)?  The subtitle support in the Apple player is quite limited so we have to try and work around that.

Also is there a reason in the subtitle menu you have to “save” the selection? It seems like an unnecessary step. Once selected it should use that selection. No need to select and then also press save.

Exactly where are you talking about here?

legallink

Forced subtitles are internal. I’m not sure if format that. They would be ripped straight from the disc. This would be mp4 for the Apple TV

As for the save selection, in the select audio/subtitles screen, after you select them, you then have a menu item to the left of audio and subtitles which says “play with these selections” or something like that and unless you select that the selections in subtitle and audio won’t stay.

legallink

I apologize, I think I've given some bad information.

The forced subtitles are PGSSUB, internal, and they are labeled as forced in the web app, but they are associated with the MKV.  There are also subtitles with the SRT codec, but they are external, and not listed as forced.

For the MP4, I don't see any subtitles listed, however, they were listed in the AppleTV interface as being available, so I'm guessing the AppleTV app was pulling the MKV and not the MP4 then? (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but that's a different issue.)

Okay, so the bottom line here is that there were no forced subtitles associated with the file you were playing?

however, they were listed in the AppleTV interface as being available, 

Where, exactly, were they listed in the app?

legallink

@@ebr they were listed in the "audio and subtitles" section of the app.

Note that when I selected the subtitles marked "forced" and then selected "play with these selections" the subtitles played correctly with the movie, so I'm not sure it's safe to say there were no subtitles with the file i was playing, as it would appear to me that the Apple TV was playing the MKV, and based on the logs that is accurate. 

Okay, so I fully understand, the situation here is:

• There are two different versions of this item - one mkv and one mp4
  • The mkv has internal forced subs
  • The mp4 has no internal subs but access to some external ones but none of them marked forced

So, when playing normally, it selected the mp4 which did not have any forced subs so they were not turned on.

But, when you used the menu to turn them on manually, it properly chose the mkv file to play in order to display those subs?

Is that all correct?

legallink

@@ebr not quite. 

1. Yes, there are 2 different versions.

2. Yes, the MKV has internal forced subs

3. The MP4 did not have any external ones or internal ones (at least not listed in the web app) accessible, although the SRT would have been accessible to it in the folder, it just wasn't listed as associated with the MP4 in the web app.

It never selected the MP4, only the MKV, based on the server log.  When it initially played (without subtitles being selected), it selected the MKV, and when I selected the subtitles, it also selected the MKV.  It only played the forced subtitles when I selected them through the menu, but did not play them automatically.

Goal:  Play forced subtitles automatically without having them have to be selected separately.

Goal 2: Remove the "Play with these selections" button requirement when selecting audio track/subtitles.