Problem with Multi-version/resolution movies

PeteMB

I have some problem with the playback of Multi-resolution movies. It seems Emby is not selecting the correct version. I thought Emby clients where capable to select the correct version? I have tested this with Emby Theater (Xbox One, Windows Store & Desktop) and the webapp. All of them are using the highest quality version instead of selecting the one with the correct resolution. On my Xbox One S this is a big problem because it selects the 4K version of a movie instead of the 1080P version. I don't have a 4K screen, so I get a green screen.

I have been using Multi-resolution movies for a long time now, but never really tested if it was working. In the past it was always a combination of a SD/DVD version and a HD/Bluray version. So it was never a problem to get the HD version. But now i am starting to also use 4K versions to future proof my library. But currently i don't have a 4K screen yet. So it should always fallback to the HD version.

Included are my server logs and transcoding logs.

This is the media Info

59f47bd7b75a6_MediaInfoSully.jpg

This is a screenshot of "Stats for nerds" from Emby Theater (Windows Store version)

59f47bf906546_PlayerInfoEmbyTheaterWindo

This is the same screenshot from the Webapp (the one hosted local on my emby server)

59f47c0d875a4_PlayerInfoEmbyWebApp.jpg

server-63644797187.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-17721452-4b9c-4d65-96ee-fd3f6f0653bc.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-cac5b268-0fb2-4f8b-81a3-699d24dd91de.txt

That's not necessarily true because if both versions can direct stream based on app streaming settings then many will want the highest quality compatible version.

If you lower the in app bitrate setting to a low enough value then you will see that it will choose the smaller version to avoid the full transcode on the 4k version.

Ok, this seems to be working now. If i lower the playback bitrate to full hd 10 Mbit, Emby Theater will switch to the 1080p version.

But honestly I don't think this is the correct way to decide what version to use, you should look at the screen/player resolution and not at the bitrate. In my encodes i never use a fixed bitrate, I always do encodes based on quality with variable bitrates. This 4K movie is around 15 Mbit, so if I have to lower my playback bitrate to something lower than 15 Mbit a lot of my HD movies will need reencoding, this is not something i want. 

Currently this is a big problem on my Xbox One S, here i get a green screen and I am not able to playback the 4K stream. The Xbox One S seems to not be capable to downscale a 4k stream.

Ok that's different then. That means that file should transcode regardless of bitrate setting. We can correct that. Thanks.

Shouldn't it be better to select the 1080p version instead of transcodeing the 4k version to a 1080p version? I have a 1080p version available.

I will move the 4K version to the "Specials" folder, because the way you select the version will not work in my setup.

• 6 months later...
jaketame

So... I'm looking to merge my 4K movies with the 1080p versions under the same library.

I've named them

Film - BluRay 2160p.mkv

Film.mkv or Film - BluRay 1080p.mkv

I have manually merge the versions together however within Emby its not automatically selecting the best version to play. Its defaulting to 4K which is fine on a 4K compatabile TV however on mobile devices and TV devices its transcoding the 4K version rather then giving the end device the 1080p version which could be direct-played or transcoded (not using as much resources than the 4K version)

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Will TV shows also behave in a similar manner?

jaketame

Looks like I didn't search properly... I'm experiencing this too - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58796-multiple-versions/

Movie has two qualities - 2160p + 1080p 

Quality is set to Auto - It will play the 2160p and transcode it for iOS or WebApp but it should transcode the 1080p version as this will be less of a resource hog if required or directplay the 1080p version.

legallink

My experience is this is a longer standing issue.  Auto selection isn't always the best on this.  I'm not sure how the logic works, but because there was (what I assume) a vocal minority, Luke and EBR accommodated by adding the file selection ability in the interface.

Can you please attach the emby server and ffmpeg log from an example? thanks !

jaketame

ffmpeg-transcode-ae6cb0f5-f08c-454e-8f3a-dedea2fca3e5.txtembyserver.txt

Browser: Chrome

It defaults to 2160p, the monitor is not capable of this. I'm capable of chaning to 1080p however its not wife / family friendly. So I would expect hitting play it would play the relevant file that is DirectPlayable if not then transcode the 1080p version instead of the 2160p version.

Logs are attached. Server: 3.4.0.0 in Docker with hardware transcoding. Restart Emby so log should be clean.

5af4166df41bf_ScreenShot20180510at103928

attachicon.gifffmpeg-transcode-ae6cb0f5-f08c-454e-8f3a-dedea2fca3e5.txtattachicon.gifembyserver.txt

Browser: Chrome

It defaults to 2160p, the monitor is not capable of this. I'm capable of chaning to 1080p however its not wife / family friendly. So I would expect hitting play it would play the relevant file that is DirectPlayable if not then transcode the 1080p version instead of the 2160p version.

Logs are attached. Server: 3.4.0.0 in Docker with hardware transcoding. Restart Emby so log should be clean.

5af4166df41bf_ScreenShot20180510at103928

Ok this one is different. The web app has no way of knowing that your monitor doesn't support the higher resolution version, so in this situation we just pick the higher quality version. If you adjust your in-app quality setting, that will affect which one gets picked automatically.

jaketame

That makes sense!

I’ve just tested the Android TV version and it gave the option “Choose the best quality for me” I selected this and it played the 4K version which is what the tele can support.

Will go test it on the FireTV and non 4K tele now.

If it works you should improve the merging of movies and then advertise on the website as this is something Plex cannot do!

jaketame

Whoop I’m liking this!

Auto selected the 1080p stream when selecting choose best quality for me with direct play.

However it has selected the 4K version to transcode when setting the Bitrate to 5Mbps

jaketame

ffmpeg-transcode-f774f260-fb4b-45aa-8340-951947eed0fa.txtffmpeg-remux-78b567d5-286b-491b-97c9-a7716d4f322e.txtembyserver.txt

Attached server log

Film: Maze Runner Death Cure - 4K + 1080p under same item with Emby as per above screenshot

Remux log on Fire TV thats 1080p capable - Bitrate: Auto - Selected play 'Best quality version for me'  - Emby played the 1080p version DirectPlay

Transcode log on FireTV thats 1080p capable - Bitrate: 5Mbps - Selected play 'Best quality version for me' - Emby transcoded the 4K version

jaketame

Thanks, we'll take a look.

Np, let me know if you want me to test anything else.

Will try a TV show shortly.

The 4k version is a higher bitrate, right?

Once you have to transcode (convert from high quality to a lower one) doesn't it make sense to start with the highest quality version available?

jaketame

The 4k version is a higher bitrate, right?

Once you have to transcode (convert from high quality to a lower one) doesn't it make sense to start with the highest quality version available?

Not when the TV doesn’t support 4K and transcoding 4K is very resource intensive. I have 5-7 streams going in the evening, some people can’t steam more than 4Mbps Edited by jaketame

Guest asrequested

Yeah transcoding 4k takes a bit of muscle, and if it's HDR the transcoded picture will be terrible. 4k should only be used to transcode when there's no other option.

jaketame

Yeah transcoding 4k takes a bit of muscle, and if it's HDR the transcoded picture will be terrible. 4k should only be used to transcode when there's no other option.

Agree with you there.

Any more on this Luke? :-)