No sound when switching to 24p.

Lag1791

System A10-7800 Radeon R7 built on graphics

16GB DDR3 2400 SDram

Output HDMI to Yamaha receiver to HDMI output to Samsung 60” 4k smart TV

+32TB Unraid Server running the Emby Docker.

Been using MB/Emby since 2007.

So previously I was on windows 7 and using Emby WMC with MPC and MadVR. It gave me great quality video with refresh rate switching. About 6+months ago I installed Windows 10 and Emby Theater. For the life of me I could not get the refresh rate switching to work with MadVR and Emby Theater. I almost went back to the WMC Emby but I really liked the look and usage of Emby Theater so I just dealt with watching all my 24p content at 60p. Well I got excited when they put out the 2.9.3 Emby Theater cause now it had built in refresh rate switching. So last night I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10 and Emby Theater. This is what is going on.

All setting in Emby theater are default except under video I have HA=D3D copyback, Refresh rate switching checked off, and (60;24) typed in below.

Internal and Madvr refresh rate switching works perfect for me. But as soon as it switches to 1920x1080 24p I lose all audio. My receiver goes from 5.1 to stereo (Straight PCM) but no sound comes out of the speakers. When I’m using the internal Emby rate switching and open the sound properties the volume indicator is showing the audio track is playing (up & down green bar indicator). When I used the MadVR the setting show the track is playing correctly. But again no sound. As soon as I exit the 24p video the 5.1 indicator on my receiver comes back on and sound returns to the computer. If I play the same exact videos and turn off the refresh rate switching the movie and soundtrack play fine at 60p. Any thoughts.

I would post a log if someone could tell me where it is. I also will post some screen-shot when I get home from work tonight.

Guest asrequested

If you are only using MadVR, the Theater logs won't reveal anything. Have you tried the default player? The logs for that you have to set up. I can help.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

In testing, I discovered that I don't get audio from the first video. You can test by enabling cinema mode so it plays a trailer, first. See what happens.

If you are only using MadVR, the Theater logs won't reveal anything. Have you tried the default player? The logs for that you have to set up. I can help.

I was specifically using the default player. I only tried the MadVR option to see if that worked. It responded the same as the default player.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In testing, I discovered that I don't get audio from the first video. You can test by enabling cinema mode so it plays a trailer, first. See what happens.

I will try that, thank you.

So last night I did some more testing. Seems it is an ATI/AMD driver issue. I originally was running the latest Crimson driver. I rolled back to a 2year old CCC driver and audio and switching worked. On only issue then was the picture was broken up. So then I upgraded to the crimson driver again and picture was great but loss audio again. It seems the the A10 k7 integrated graphics are not well supported by the current drivers.

So I ended up picking up a GTX 1050. Will see how that works out for me. I will report back when everything is up and running.

Guest asrequested

@, you're still not getting audio on the first movie???

@@randomevents

I haven't tested with your new refreshrate.exe, and in the current release, refresh rate switching doesn't work at all. So I was waiting for the new release to test again.

So quick update. I installed the Gtx 1050, fresh windows install and latest Nvidia driver. Same dam thing happened. No audio when switch to 24p. Comes back when switch back to 60p 1920x1080. Again if I stay at 60p soundtrack plays fine. So I think it really is some sort of HDCP issue. My receiver I'm passing the Hdmi through is like 1.2 or 1.3 ver. Bought it in 2007/2008. I disconnected the pass through and did Hdmi direct to TV and and toslink to receiver. Switching and soundtrack worked fine. Funny thing too is the 1050 upped my streaming resolution to the native panel of 3840x2160 at 24p. Sound track was downgraded to straight DTS due to toslink. When I was passing through my receiver I only could get 1920x1080.

Time to save up for a new receiver. I have my eye on Yamaha RX-A1060. Can get a refurbished for about $700.00.

Lastly, what recommendation for HWA should I use with the Gtx 1050.

Guest asrequested

So, be aware that optical only supports basic 5.1, and nothing more. HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 also doesn't support the full range of audio that is available, now. Be sure of what you have. I'm wondering  if you've been being downmixed, and not realized it? Which might not happen with refresh rate switching. I'm just speculating on that. But you should confirm your hardware capabilities. 

http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/192/~/differences-between-hdmi-versions-1.1%2C-1.2%2C-1.3a%2C-1.4-and-2.0%3F

Took a look at my receiver, Hdmi is 1.2a.

Looks like I'm just going to use the optical out for now. Lol

Edited by Lag1791

I’ve got an RXA-1060...

Great receiver!

Mine is a Rx-v1700. Got it factory refurbished in 2006 for $800.00

Still going strong and one of the best sounding receivers that I ever owned. Thing is a tank too. 130watt x7 channels. Have to get another equivillant quality Yamaha. That's all I know.

• 1 month later...
solabc16

Hello

I’ve come across the same thing whilst testing with a NUC7i5 running Win10, connected to a Denon AVR-X6400. I’ve seen the same problem discussed with other software packages. The ‘workaround’ they’re currenting providing, is to allow a manual delay duration to be configured between the refresh rate change and starting playback.

Is there any way of doing this currently, to at least prove the theory?

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
ShoutingMan

I’ve see the same problem. Recent Intel drivers cause audio loss when video refresh rate changes during video play.

A way to have video playback start after refresh rate switch might fix it.

For now, I’ve disabled Windows updates to remain at the last good driver version.

solabc16

Hello

If we could make the delay configurable, then you can tweak it for your setup (to lessen the impact), this seems to be the approach taken elsewhere. 

Somewhere around 3-5 seconds I would expect to do the trick.

There is a kludge to get around it, if using MadVR, whereby switching the subtitles on and off seems to bring it back to life. This only works with MadVR.

For now, on this system, I've configured the system refresh at 24Hz (23Hz in the OS) and the playback is 100% reliable. This is of course, not desirable, as the fluidity of the UI experience takes a hit.

Best

- James

Yea i was just wondering that if the delay were small enough that most people wouldn't care then we could just make it standard behavior.

@@randomevents is there currently any delay?

ShoutingMan

Toggling audio tracks also works (assuming multiple). Likewise, I don’t like a fixed 23p rate because UI is so terrible. And not all content is 23.976Hz.

ShoutingMan

Don’t make it fixed or standard. Most people don’t need it. And I’m working around by blocking Windows updates.

And I suspect it needs to be longer than the refresh sync time, which is as long as 15 seconds on some projectors. So a fixed 5 second pause might not be a complete solution.

Oh it's already 3? Interesting. I feel like if we try 4 nobody's really going to care and maybe that will be enough.