Subtitles not showing in video playback (Emby LG App)

calexandre

Hi

So after using the app for a few days now it's VERY inconsistent with internal SUBRIP subtitles in .mkv files. Sometime they don't show at all. Sometimes I will put them on then watch the video and after 5-10 minutes the subtitles suddenly appear.

I'm using Embyserver 4.2.1.0 with the newest app on an 2017 LG OLED B7 tv. Transcoding is turned off for my user just to avoid it at all costs.

All subtitles show without any problems when I play the same video file on my android phone.

Log attached for trying to play some files file where the for some the subtitles show right away for the last there was no subtitles.

Embylog.txt

Edited by amb13

Hi

So after using the app for a few days now it's VERY inconsistent with internal SUBRIP subtitles in .mkv files. Sometime they don't show at all. Sometimes I will put them on then watch the video and after 5-10 minutes the subtitles suddenly appear.

I'm using Embyserver 4.2.1.0 with the newest app on an 2017 LG OLED B7 tv. Transcoding is turned off for my user just to avoid it at all costs.

All subtitles show without any problems when I play the same video file on my android phone.

Log attached for trying to play some files file where the for some the subtitles show right away for the last there was no subtitles.

You need to turn these features back on or you will run into problems such as this. Please make sure to read the help text:

5d9d159330392_Untitled.png

The apps will already direct play whenever possible. There's nothing you need to do to turn on direct play.

Hi

I have the exact same problem. Very inconsistent

You need to turn these features back on or you will run into problems such as this. Please make sure to read the help text:

5d9d159330392_Untitled.png

The apps will already direct play whenever possible. There's nothing you need to do to turn on direct play.

I don't see why any of these option would have anything to do with showing subtitles consistent.

Anyway, @@Luke , I tried turning them all on I get get the same results. Mostly no subtitles.

If I play the same videos on the tv through DLNA with Kodi all subtitles also work perfectly.

What I do notice though is that TrueHD atmos audio tracks get reencoded even though there is no need for it. And it's things like this that make me turn of these options.

Edited by amb13

@@amb13

Emby cant decode embedded Subtiltes with directplay on the fly on LG TV. Emby read the whole movie at playback start to extract the embedded subtitles. That can take some minutes... and there is a timeout for that extracting. So ... with embedded subtitles ... works after extracting (after some minutes with big movies) or never display (timeout for extracting).

And TrueHD Audiotracks must be transcoded ... because your B7 not support TrueHD Tracks directly.

@@amb13

Emby cant decode embedded Subtiltes with directplay on the fly on LG TV. Emby read the whole movie at playback start to extract the embedded subtitles. That can take some minutes... and there is a timeout for that extracting. So ... with embedded subtitles ... works after extracting (after some minutes with big movies) or never display (timeout for extracting).

And TrueHD Audiotracks must be transcoded ... because your B7 not support TrueHD Tracks directly.

Thanks for the answer @@lSi

That makes sense. Is there any reason emby can't decode the subtitle with direct play? And is that something that can be fixed? The software on the TV does it just fine.

If it can't be fixed, is there any way in emby to extract the subtitle before you start watching? Or do I just have to get a Shield.

When I play a file with TrueHD and direct play I still get sound, does the video with TrueHD automatically switch to the 5.1 track then? (but still showing TrueHD in emby playback)

The TV has some atmos support, but i think it quite limited, sending the sound to my receiver with optical now.

Edited by amb13

Thanks for the answer @@lSi

That makes sense. Is there any reason emby can't decode the subtitle with direct play? And is that something that can be fixed? The software on the TV does it just fine.

We're using an LG video player component so that means we are limited to what it supports. It may not support all of the same formats as the LG dlna video player, if that's what you're referring to.

See here: http://webostv.developer.lge.com/discover/specifications/supported-media-formats/

We're using an LG video player component so that means we are limited to what it supports. It may not support all of the same formats as the LG dlna video player, if that's what you're referring to.

See here: http://webostv.developer.lge.com/discover/specifications/supported-media-formats/

Ok. Thanks for the answers. Looks like it's the extraction and conversion to .vtt that causes the hiccup for internal subtitles then.

I'm guessing you have to convert external .srt files aswell, but since those don't require extraction it's a very small task?

does the video with TrueHD automatically switch to the 5.1 track then? (but still showing TrueHD in emby playback)

Yes, this is exactly what happens.  It is done by the TV, but Emby never knows about it so it still shows TrueHD

Yes, this is exactly what happens.  It is done by the TV, but Emby never knows about it so it still shows TrueHD

It would be great if Emby could automatically select the Dolby Digital or AC3 5.1 track when present instead of the TrueHD track. Right now I've just disabled all transcoding options which results in almost every file playing without issues on my LG C7. Of course this also means that some old avi files which could be transcoded don't play anymore as the tv doesn't support them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
szgabor1976
Dear EMBY,

When will the webOS 1 subtitle management issue be resolved?

WebOs 1.4.0-2532

LG Smart TV (42LB650V-ZN) Emby Theater 1.0.24

Emby Server 4.3.1.0

Thanks!

Gabor

Hello!

You cannot turn the subtitle on or off, or change the subtitle language.

Ok yes that's due to an issue in WebOS 1&2 that will require us to build a special workaround for. Thanks for the feedback.

Ok yes that's due to an issue in WebOS 1&2 that will require us to build a special workaround for. Thanks for the feedback.

Just curious: what's the problem with the older WebOS versions?

The subtitles are showing for a second at the start of a movie. (If there are actual subtitles for that frame)

Maybe you just need to disable the feature of the Emby application which hides them  :)

Just curious: what's the problem with the older WebOS versions?

The subtitles are showing for a second at the start of a movie. (If there are actual subtitles for that frame)

Maybe you just need to disable the feature of the Emby application which hides them  :)

They always show embedded subtitles for mkv's even when we tell it not to. So the workaround we'll have to use is to have the server convert on the fly to strip out the subtitles so that they're never there to begin with.

They always show embedded subtitles for mkv's even when we tell it not to. So the workaround we'll have to use is to have the server convert on the fly to strip out the subtitles so that they're never there to begin with.

Yes, that's another problem with embedded subtitles.

Sorry, I didn't clarify it, but I meant external srt subtitles.

They seem to work for one second when starting the movie, then disappear.

Yes, that's another problem with embedded subtitles.

Sorry, I didn't clarify it, but I meant external srt subtitles.

They seem to work for one second when starting the movie, then disappear.

Have you checked the contents of the subtitles to see that they have text at that time?

Have you checked the contents of the subtitles to see that they have text at that time?

Sure, they work in other clients.

Sure, they work in other clients.

Can you please go over an example? Thanks.