Switched to Android to take advantage of offline viewing -Not working very well

hstamas
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

hstamas

I've left Plex and am committed to Emby. Pair that with the fact that I travel quite a bit for work necessitated another switch from an iPhone to an Android phone to take advantage of offline viewing.

Reading  so many posts here, its pretty apparent that this feature is confusing to say the least.

First,  having both "download" & "Sync" available in the Android app seems redundant and confusing. Can I possibly get a definitive explanation as to when to use each?

Also I too suffer from having media that I want to get onto my phone just sit there at the "ready to transfer" stage seemingly doing nothing. I have read a few responses stating that we should try to force the transfer by starting a scheduled task manually? Which task exactly should I be initiating? I only have 2 choices  and neither initiate anything once clicked. "Convert..." doesn't seem to be what I want since the media has already been converted and "Cloud & Folder Sync" doesn't doesn't seem to do anything.

Im really hoping this part of the feature set can be brought up to Plex levels in the near future as it seems to have been going on for a good amount of time with not very much forward momentum.

Hi, they are the same. The best thing to do to make sure that downloads happen immediately is to initiate them from the mobile device, rather than remotely from another app. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Vidman

Hi, they are the same. The best thing to do to make sure that downloads happen immediately is to initiate them from the mobile device, rather than remotely from another app. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Is this even possible anymore?

@@Vidman, we would like to bring it back, but the only way it's going to "just work", is with cloud messaging so that we can wake the device remotely. That's the part we haven't added yet.

hstamas

Thanks for the response @@Luke. Ive tried it both ways and the results are the same. Both SYNC & DOWNLOAD initiated from the Android device itself just sits after the conversion is completed. It did eventually transfer but there didnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to what triggered it

Because what happens is the conversion has to happen on the server first. Currently we can only notify the app of the conversion completing if the app is running in the foreground with the screen on. If that's not the case then the download won't happen until the next periodic sync process. So that's where google cloud messaging will come in to solve that.

hstamas

Well here I sit in a hotel room with nothing to watch on my new Android/Emby combo.

I synced 4 episodes of a TV series (I believe I told it to sync all unwatched episodes as opposed to individually downloading  each episode if that matters).

I double checked things before I left by putting my phone in airplane mode and I was indeed able to access and watch the downloaded content. The next day as my plane took off I fired up Emby (in airplane mode) and there was nothing to watch?

What the heck happened??

No ability to send logs until the weekend unfortunately.

hstamas

Sorry @@Luke - just got back and my server logs dont go far enough back to include the time that I added the offline content.

Is there still a bug that deletes content when you download data using the filters like "download all unwatched episides" etc.?

If yes, should we only be downloading one episode at a time?

Also if yes - is a fix on the radar for this? Sort of depressing that I switched over specifically to use this feature and have it fail right out of the gate :(

• Solution

Is there still a bug that deletes content when you download data using the filters like "download all unwatched episides" etc.?

No, this should not be an issue. Does that answer your question?

• Like 1