Judder on Frame Rate Switching

Sammy

That'll work. But remember that nvenc only supports two transcodes.

I'm not sure how that fits into the card I'm considering.

I guess I shall..

So with those settings, frame rate switching doesn't work at all? If that's the case we need to get you set up with logging so @@randomevents can take a look.

It works if "works" is defined as changing the output to 23.976fps and a lot of frame drops or repeats is acceptable. Otherwise, I guess not. Thing is that if I dial back madVR settings frame rate switching worked long ago on an i3 530 with iGPU so I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't work now although I haven't tested it. I can report that the playback in madVR with the settings I had for my HD7850 causes massive stuttering though. I haven't tweaked it much at all.

Edited by Sammy

Guest asrequested

Nvidia is better supported than radeon. Just for playback, that card should work well. MPV should work well with it. I don't have an Nvidia card to test with, but a lot of people use them.

Guest asrequested

It works if "works" is defined as changing the output to 23.976fps and a lot of frame drops or repeats is acceptable. Otherwise, I guess not. thing is that if I dial back madVR settings frame rate switching worked long ago on an i3 530 with iGPU so I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't work now although I haven't tested it. I can report that the playback in madVR with the settings I had for my HD7850 causes massive stuttering though. I haven't tweaked it much at all.

I think we need to take a closer look at your refresh rate switching. We need logging.

Add this to your mpv.conf and choose your location

log-file=" \mpv log.txt"

Edited by Doofus

I got it working with a video driver update but if the video bitrate is low It still stutters, something that motion smoothing in madVR would resolve.

Additionally, having better smoothing algorithm or having a bit rate check whereupon it doesn't change the frame rate below a specified bit rate would be a nice feature.

Guest asrequested

Additionally, having better smoothing algorithm or having a bit rate check whereupon it doesn't change the frame rate below a specified bit rate would be a nice feature.

Changing the bitrate would be transcoding. Do you mean refresh rate switching?

The way I understand it there's bit rate and frame rate. Frame rate is what the refresh rate of the display is and should match the source best as possible. Film is shot at 23.976 frames per second and that is what we're changing to match on the display. Bit rate is the density or quality of the source material. The higher the bit rate the better the quality. I have an mkv encoded at around 5mbs that stutters and another one encoded at 20mbs that doesn't. (Don't ask) What I'm wondering is if ET / mpv can check the bit rate of the source and not do frame rate switching if it is below some certain level. It seems that lower bit rate videos look fine with a 3:2 pull down scheme but stutter with frame rate switching and higher bit rate videos do just fine with frame rate switching and look fine with a 3:2 pull down scheme if frame rate switching is turned off.

I hope I am making sense here.

Edited by Sammy

Guest asrequested

Given your description of the problem, the bitrate should have no part in the cause. And should have nothing to with refresh rate switching. It sounds like it has to do with the file, itself. The way it's been encoded, how it was muxed etc. It's a weird one. Can you share one of the files you experience judder, with?

Is it the file? What to do to change it or improve it for better playback? I don't mind switching frame rate but for my wife that is a whole other story. She wants to just hit play.

Guest asrequested

I need to be able to reproduce the problem before I can determine what's wrong. I'll put it through its paces, tonight.

Guest asrequested

Well Sammy, unfortunately, refresh rate switching isn't working for me, at all. There are updates for that in the pending release. As for now, I can't test your file. I'll hold on to it. Hopefully the new release will be available, soon.

But I am wondering about your subtitles. They are SUBRIP. My first test would have been to remove them.

Edited by Doofus

Refresh rate switching is working for me. Are you using a beta ET or Server?

So mux out the subs and mux in an srt or just use external?

Guest asrequested

Refresh rate switching is working for me. Are you using a beta ET or Server?

So mux out the subs and mux in an srt or just use external?

Actually, first I'd just try a straight remux and remove nothing. Then remove the subs if that didn't work. Have you confirmed the problem still exists with the piece you gave me? If yes, experiment with that.

Chillout

Well I was having constant dropped frames and studdering while watching live TV using all default (Auto) setting and they went away when i used Sammy's video settings in the first post..  so thanks for that even if they didnt work for you.

CPU: i7-3770

GPU: r9-380

• Like 1

Yeah, right now I'm not using frame rate switching as it was randomly causing Judder. Sometimes the same file would play well then next time it wouldn't. As it was unpredictable I just turned it off for the time being. I'm pretty sure I need more hardware so that the GPU Clock time exceeds that of the video clock time.

I'm thinking of a GTX 1050 TI or so but some recommendations would be nice as that is the upper end of my budget right now. Not that I can't go higher, I just want to spend my money on some other things right now..

Thanks!

That card is the right direction, just find a cheaper model that supports HEVC and you should be good to go.

Don't normally see that in the specs.. how to tell?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So anything in Feature Set F or H for full HEVC support? What about those listed in E?

This one is a little cheaper than the one you were looking at.

Based on above, is there a compelling reason to go with GTX 1050?

I'm also wondering about the RAM; looks like 2GB is enough?

My failed Radion HD7850 card had 1Gb 256 bit DDR5 Memory and this one has only 128 bit DDR5 but sports 2Gb.