Is it possible to federate Emby?

mythman

I am just wondering is there a way to federate Emby over multiple servers, that is to say can 2 Emby server cooperate together say one holds only TV shows but the other Holds Music and Movies ?

I am painfully aware that as my media collections grows and all those long hours of ripping and encoding media builds up putting everything on one server is a risk. Regardless of the underlying filesystem or disks setup. It get to a point where it becomes impossible to back up effectively and you risk loosing it all if 2 disk fail at the same time.

So is there a way to do this? Short of having some sort of Network Filesystem running instead ?

Thanks.

pir8radio

I am just wondering is there a way to federate Emby over multiple servers, that is to say can 2 Emby server cooperate together say one holds only TV shows but the other Holds Music and Movies ?

I am painfully aware that as my media collections grows and all those long hours of ripping and encoding media builds up putting everything on one server is a risk. Regardless of the underlying filesystem or disks setup. It get to a point where it becomes impossible to back up effectively and you risk loosing it all if 2 disk fail at the same time.

So is there a way to do this? Short of having some sort of Network Filesystem running instead ?

Thanks.

Not two emby servers, not how you are thinking anyway...  There is no reason you couldn't run two different network shares/servers into one emby server though. 

Edited by pir8radio

Deathsquirrel

You can have content spread across servers but you'd still only need one Emby server install.  I've got Emby on an i7 NUC which also runs ET.  There is no content on that box.  All movies are ripped to a NAS and an old Windows server holds most of my ripped TV shows as well as photos and music.  All the media is linked in appropriate Emby libraries and available to all client devices.

Yeah ok, mounting remote shares sounds like a more plausible way to do it I guess. I just wondered if it is a simple as copying media/video/Movies and leaving a mounted share there?

I guess to Emby it would not really matter when is scans files but are there any gotchas about iwatch triggers not being applied to shares and the likes? Will I manually need to refresh to update each time ?

Thanks for the suggestions though nice to know I am not the only one thinking about it :)

Deathsquirrel

No, there are no gotchas.  If you are set to store metadata with media files, and you should be, then the user Emby runs under will need full rights to the shares and directories where you store that media.  If you don't it will just need read.

If you store your metadata on the network shares you will most likely notice a lag when browsing the library.

Do some testing before you go all in.

I store my metadata on a dedicated SSD drive, besides being much faster to browse it has the other added advantage is my network storage does not have to spin up to just browse my library.

Happy2Play

If you store your metadata on the network shares you will most likely notice a lag when browsing the library.

Do some testing before you go all in.

I store my metadata on a dedicated SSD drive, besides being much faster to browse it has the other added advantage is my network storage does not have to spin up to just browse my library.

I guess that depends on your setup.   As I don't see any difference.

My NAS only powers up when I click play on an actual movie or show, to just browse my library its using the SSD which is much faster.

I guess that depends on your setup.   As I don't see any difference.

Deathsquirrel

My NAS only powers up when I click play on an actual movie or show, to just browse my library its using the SSD which is much faster.

Considering the metadata is served from cache, not the source files, that shouldn't be correct.  It doesn't match my experience.

That is simply not the norm.