Option to save all info and pics within media folders

Mohamed Selim

Mohamed Selim

As i see the folder that contains Emby server in windows have info and pictures that may be not in the media folders as collection info and pictures for example so if we had to reinstall we could loss some info and had to rebuild and scrape again and we may loss some custom images so please add option to save all except cash within media folders as i think (save within folders) option do not save all info or give us a way to backup completely even if we move to another different computer we could restore easily all our custom data without need to download again or create again (collections,people etc)(all info not most info)

Edited by Mohamed Selim

Happy2Play

You can't save People with media as you would have a dozen plus copies of say one actor, why would anyone want a actor image in every movie they were ever in?  Collections well that is why I like the legacy way of nested folder, but you can manually back up both so it isn't that big of a deal.

• Like 1

Baenwort

The answer I've always received to this question was that I should either backup the server instance in some fashion or focus my time on improving the source websites with more accurate information. 

I do think it would be nice to have an automated way that was like the current server config plug-in but included all the custom entries.

You can point your metadata folder on the server to a network location so that it will be the same on a new re-install.

Collections can't really be saved with the media because they are their own item but we could potentially allow you to designate a folder like with metadata.

That would cover everything, no?

• Like 1

Mohamed Selim

So please till me how to backup everythung in case a problem happens, i do not want to create my collections again from scratch and put custom metadata again for hundreds of items

is overwriting the emby-server folder in apppication data enough or what

Happy2Play

Yes, I would back up the folder of the installation like a normal file/folder backup.

You can do that with any backup software.

Baenwort

So please till me how to backup everythung in case a problem happens, i do not want to create my collections again from scratch and put custom metadata again for hundreds of items

is overwriting the emby-server folder in apppication data enough or what

How to do so will depend on which OS you are running your Emby server. According to ebr, and I just tested this on my FreeNAS system, you can pipe your metadata folder (listed on the home page of your dashboard) to a separate location. 

You can change this location to a different one that you already back up, such as your library pool of disks, by going to the "Library" tab on the left and then going to the "Advanced" tab at the top. There is a metadata path box in which you can input where you would like the metadata placed. Select a folder in your library storage location and now your metadata will be saved with your library.

I do not know if this moves the metadata you already have created or just any new data you create. 

To solve that you may wish to implement what ever backup options are available for your native OS. I would ask over in the relevant OS sub-forum.

Baenwort

You can point your metadata folder on the server to a network location so that it will be the same on a new re-install.

Collections can't really be saved with the media because they are their own item but we could potentially allow you to designate a folder like with metadata.

That would cover everything, no?

The items I'm worried about are: People, Collections, and individual media file metadata. From your description above it seems that this will solve one of those three. Unless People is considered a metadata item? 

Collections are easily moved and i think it's something we should get added to the backup plugin at some point.

Fratopolis

We use Veeam at my work. I just realized it is free for endpoint (Windows) and installed on my home server. https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html. Also if you use Hyper-V or VMware they have a free product for that as well. Works great and doesn't need a full backup each time as it will do synthetic fulls.

Either do a whole system backup/indivudual volume/or selected folders.

Enjoy, I finally switch to it from cobian

Edited by Fratopolis
  • Like 1