Problem with Greek subtitles

vangeliis

vangeliis

Hi,

I'm using emby server Mac 3.2.33 with high sierra and I'm having problems with external greek srt subtitles (please see attached srt file) when using direct play. The subtitles are displayed as gibberish on the telly while the web player displays them correctly. The srt file is UTF-8. Any clues?

Thanks,

Vangeliis

HHhH.gre.srt

vangeliis

Can you download the latest version from the website and see if the issue persists? Thanks !

I tried version 3.2.33.9 a few days ago with no luck with the subtitles and have issues with quitting the app as reported in another post.

Can you make version 3.2.33.15 available for the Mac to test?

vangeliis

Ok, 3.2.33.17 is up, thanks.

I'll give it a go and report back. Thanks for all the amazing work you guys are doing.

vangeliis

Ok, 3.2.33.17 is up, thanks.

Hi Luke,

3.2.33.17 is a mixed bag for me. Although the server quits properly now and as others requested there is only a menubar icon, I still can not remote control my LG TV from the browser interface (direct cast) and greek subtitles still play up.

vangeliis

How do the subtitles appear in the web app?

As they should, correct Greek and not gibberish. Also subs with unicode characters also appear correctly in the web app but not over DLNA.

vangeliis

@@Luke

Hi,

New version 3.2.34.0 for the macOS does not fix the greek subtitles and/or the problem with unicode characters. To me it looks like that both issues are related- the macOS server does not correctly detect that the character set in the .srt file is unicode and is sending it to the TV as ISO Latin 1.

Is this possible? log file is attached.

server-63644550235.txt

vangeliis

@@Luke

Just a bit more information:

I copied the Greek subtitles .srt and the .srt with the unicode characters to an USB pendrive and both play correctly using the LG build in media player.

vangeliis

Hi @@Luke

I've done a bit more testing and when the greek srt unicode file is embedded into the mkv container then the subtitles "play" correctly over DNLA (direct play).

It seems the problem in post #13 only occurs with external srt files? Log file attached.

server-63644805863.txt

Edited by vangeliis

vangeliis

Hi @@Luke

Just tested the latest Mac version 3.2.36.0 and the problem (see post #1) with external unicode srt subtitles still persists. The same srt file plays well when muxed into the mkv container.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Vangeliis

vangeliis

I'm not able to reproduce on a newer LG. I will continue to test though. Thanks.

Hi @@Luke,

Thanks for trying.

I've also noticed that when the unicode srt (greek or English language) is muxed into the mkv container then my TV does not allow me to change the language code as it's greyed out (see attached photo IMG_0367) but when the same unicode srt file is external then my TV allows me to change the language code (see attached photo IMG_0368). Do you see the same?

post-244638-0-71521700-1509819774_thumb.jpg

post-244638-0-87168800-1509819796_thumb.jpg

If we remuxed on the fly then that would make sense because we will be stripping out all other subtitle tracks during that process. If it is direct playing to the TV, then I'm not sure, it just depends on what the TV supports. 

vangeliis

If we remuxed on the fly then that would make sense because we will be stripping out all other subtitle tracks during that process. If it is direct playing to the TV, then I'm not sure, it just depends on what the TV supports. 

Hi @@Luke,

Thanks for your comment.

I suppose what I was trying to say in my previous post is that when the subtitles file is correctly sent to the TV via direct-play as unicode then the TV software detects it's a unicode subtitles file and auto-disables the option to change the character encoding (which makes perfect sense).

For some reason when the subtitle file is external then the TV software does not recognise it as unicode and allows me to change the character encoding -but none of the options is unicode encoding.

Is there a way to force Emby to direct-play all external srt files as unicode?

Thanks.

/edit

Please see attached server log. I noticed when direct playing Barbie Dolphin Magic.mp4 the associated extrenal srt file does not get assigned a character encoding. Is this relevant?

thanks again.

server-63645475454.txt

Edited by vangeliis

Again, I'm not exactly sure what the issue is for older LG models. What I can say is that for newer models there is no issue. When I have an opportunity to personally test this out then I'll be able to figure it out. Thanks.