Can not play video on cellular (T-Mobile LTE)

szerby

We are looking into it, thanks. So we're going to have to limit to 480p 1mbps, and also connect over ipv6 (if supported by your emby server).

i'm using synology. do you know if ipv76 is supported? im not sure.

i'm using synology. do you know if ipv76 is supported? im not sure.

Emby Server supports it. The question is really about your internet router and your internet connection.

Emby Server supports it. The question is really about your internet router and your internet connection.

i have a netgear nighthawk ac3200. are you talking LTE connection or home connection?

Edited by mmtrago

both, but i'm sure your LTE connection supports ipv6 so I wouldn't worry about that.

but if your home network only supports ipv4 then the mobile device will only be able to connect over ipv4.

both, but i'm sure your LTE connection supports ipv6 so I wouldn't worry about that.

but if your home network only supports ipv4 then the mobile device will only be able to connect over ipv4.

i have comcast gigabit, so i'm thinking that should be good, but my concern is getting this to work over LTE. Connecting to home wifi, at least for me, is not an issue.

You should still check your router settings and make sure ipv6 is enabled. I know for some routers it is off by default.

Ok so your connection supports it. We'll get these changes into the app in an upcoming release. thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can you try the latest server release with the iOS app quality setting on auto? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Deihmos

I have yet to get a single video to show on LTE. I don't know anything about IPV6 but tried all the options for it in the router. All I could get is a spinning circle and a black screen that shows nothing. It works on wifi and I doubt it has anything to do with IPV6. I have IPv6 off and plex works find on wifi and LTE.

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

Installing the linked carrier settings fixed the issue. The app needs updatingto work with t-mobile. https://developer.apple.com/support/ipv6/

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/7o498k/ipv4_config_for_iphone_ended/?st=jenso0j1&sh=86bba294

didnt work for me

i

Did you install it? Emby worked fine after and even my security camera worked again. Stopped working ever since iOS 11.

Deihmos

@@Deihmos, do you connect remotely to your emby server using ip address, or using a host name?

I use a host name. This issue only affected T-Mobile customers because of how their network is setup. Edited by Deihmos

I believe if you were to connect via IP, even with this change you made, that you'd still see the problem, right?

Deihmos

I believe if you were to connect via IP, even with this change you made, that you'd still see the problem, right?

It worked fine with the IP. To install it I emailed it to myself.

iOS IPv4/IPv6 Fix: Try this profile if you’re running into IP issues on your iOS device. It enables address translation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/wiki/index

Edited by Deihmos

mmtrago

it's sad that an app that costs $4.99 requires you to have to be a computer engineer to get it working. I'm done with this. 

szerby

I agree.  This app needs to be revised to use a modern network solution - that is all.  Many, many media apps have already done this.  The developer has been told specifically the issue, and the response is still to ask more questions.  Are you using a host name, and ip, what os do you have>  Fix the IPV6 issue.  Period.

mmtrago

I agree.  This app needs to be revised to use a modern network solution - that is all.  Many, many media apps have already done this.  The developer has been told specifically the issue, and the response is still to ask more questions.  Are you using a host name, and ip, what os do you have>  Fix the IPV6 issue.  Period.

I believe Plex resolved the issue, so i'm setting up with them.

Deihmos

I believe Plex resolved the issue, so i'm setting up with them.

A lot of the blame is on T-Mobile and Apple. T-Mobile is the only provider with the limitation and even my security camera app stopped working until I found a solution. Not a chance I could get the developer to update the app

hstamas

@@Luke. Has the new beta IOS app fixed this issue some how? Im on T-Mobile and after installing the beta I am able to stream from my server over LTE again.

Edited by hstamas

It really shouldn't fix it because regardless of what player we use, the same rules still apply. It is possible that the player's http modules have the requirements self-contained. I will do some testing on that soon. Thanks for the feedback.

hstamas

Confirmed. Beta app allows playback over T-Mobile LTE.

I uninstalled the beta and installed the App Store version and that broke functionality.

Another interesting observation is that for some reason, I am able to select 720p playback. I was under the impression that T-Mobile restricted video streaming over LTE to 480p?

Edited by hstamas