Can not play video on cellular (T-Mobile LTE)

szerby

mbnwa

Confirmed. Beta app allows playback over T-Mobile LTE.

I uninstalled the beta and installed the App Store version and that broke functionality.

Another interesting observation is that for some reason, I am able to select 720p playback. I was under the impression that T-Mobile restricted video streaming over LTE to 480p?

If you are using HTTPS to stream, T-Mobile would not be able to analyze your stream and because you're not Netflix or YouTube with a common set of IP's or hostnames they can validate against odds are you are flying under the T-Mobile 480p restriction. 

It would be the same as if you used ExpressVPN or a VPN service of sorts and forced all your cellular data over that link, they would not be able to analyze it because it's encrypted. 

Edited by mbnwa

hstamas

It really shouldn't fix it because regardless of what player we use, the same rules still apply. It is possible that the player's http modules have the requirements self-contained. I will do some testing on that soon. Thanks for the feedback.

@@Luke, just wondering if you have it on your roadmap to fix the underlying issue? From what I have researched the Emby IOS app needs to be updated to support IVP6 correct? 

Edited by hstamas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Emby for iOS 1.5 has been released with the new video player, wake on lan, and more. Enjoy.