Playing by external app on FireTV with VLC screen size

dee1

I set the app to use VLC as an external player, some channels look good over the air and others are small in the middle of the screen.  Is there any way to set the screen larger?

Standard Definition has a huge black box around it with VLC

I get transcoding otherwise.

What are the options?

maegibbons

So the real question is why do you want to do that?

Within the app it will either use exo or the internal VLC LIBRARY automatically.

If you are having a problem with transcoding, describe when it happens, from what media source and provide server, transcode and in-app logs so that @@ebr can see why the content is being transcoded.

There really should not be a need to use an external app to play media.

Krs

Mark

Within the app it will either use exo or the internal VLC LIBRARY automatically.

If you are having a problem with transcoding, describe when it happens, from what media source and provide server, transcode and in-app logs so that @@ebr can see why the content is being transcoded.

There really should not be a need to use an external app to play media.

Krs

Mark

Can you show me where this information is covered in detail?  

exo or vlc, can I get more information on this?

Let's be clear here what is happening: I'm using a FireTV, wired ethernet, HDhomerun connect (not extend).

Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 5.1.1; AFTS Build/LVY48F)

I'll also want the information for setup for two Roku TV's.

I appreciate the response  but i have to observe: you ask a question in response to mine, what is the difference between the internal VLC and the external VLC and why then is the option in the software to configure this?

I'm capable of looking at the logs.  But where is the information so I can know which settings are best? 

*** Error Report ***

Version: 3.2.33.0

Command line: C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe

Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0

64-Bit OS: True

64-Bit Process: True

User Interactive: True

Processor count: 4

Program data path: C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server

Application directory: C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System

System.IO.IOException: An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.SeekCore(Int64 offset, SeekOrigin origin)

at System.IO.FileStream.Seek(Int64 offset, SeekOrigin origin)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.LiveTv.TunerHosts.LiveStream.TrySeek(FileStream stream, Int64 offset)

System.IO.IOException

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.SeekCore(Int64 offset, SeekOrigin origin)

at System.IO.FileStream.Seek(Int64 offset, SeekOrigin origin)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.LiveTv.TunerHosts.LiveStream.TrySeek(FileStream stream, Int64 offset)

maegibbons

So is this live TV?

If so there are a couple of options in the settings which specify whether you wish to direct stream Live TV AND if you want to use the VLC Library.

Try playing with those.

I to have a Connect and it can play direct fine in VLC Library on my Fire TV.  However, I do not use it otherwise you cannot seek within the stream.  If you want to pause, rewind and seek fwd then the stream has to be transcoded through the server.

Krs

Mark

Why did you automatically jump to trying to use an external player?

The default settings for the app should have given you perfect Live TV playback.

As for your actual question, that would be a question for VLC as you are no longer in Emby.  But, again, I don't know why you would want to do that...

The default settings for the app should have given you perfect Live TV playback.

As for your actual question, that would be a question for VLC as you are no longer in Emby.  But, again, I don't know why you would want to do that...

Because the FireTV runs the Silicon Dust really well without trans-coding and I wanted to go easy on the server for the the clients that would require trans-coding.

https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-USA-Inc-HDHomeRun/dp/B01MSBCRDY

In respect to the actual question: let me ask this, in what scenario did you provide the option to use VLC with FireTV? 

What was the purpose or intent of the decision to include that option and feature?

Is there documentation on that feature?

I'm surprised that someone hasn't asked the question before if this is indeed a new question?

Is there a chart somewhere that describes the benefits of using or not using the option?

Edited by dee1

Real simple: just confirmed.  Without VLC I trans-code, with VLC I do not.

But if you're all about I know nothing about the api between your app EMBY and VLC that's you.

I see no reason to spin a disk and trans-code if I don't have to, my question remains does your api have a screen resolution setting which can be parameter passed to VLC? 16-9 etc?

maegibbons

Just a friendly pointer.  All your posts come over with some degree of hostility - all the responses are just trying to help you.

Generally if you have a HDHomerun AND in the options in Fire TV you select "Direct stream Live TV" AND you select "Use VLC for Live TV" (This uses the VLC LIBRARY not the external app) THEN the app should play WITHOUT transcoding.

Thats my experience

If you are not seeing this then send an in-app log to the developer AFTER trying to play a channel.

@@ebr can then look at the log and tell you why it is transcoding.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

Just a friendly pointer.  All your posts come over with some degree of hostility - all the responses are just trying to help you.

Generally if you have a HDHomerun AND in the options in Fire TV you select "Direct stream Live TV" AND you select "Use VLC for Live TV" (This uses the VLC LIBRARY not the external app) THEN the app should play WITHOUT transcoding.

Thats my experience

If you are not seeing this then send an in-app log to the developer AFTER trying to play a channel.

Krs

Mark

I'm getting a transcribe issue on HD but not SD.

encode.log

post-242594-0-89002200-1508530780_thumb.gif

Edited by dee1

Thats my experience

Krs

Mark

No That wasn't the real question, I'm just trying to get stuff to work and asking about the differences is how the app configures HD and SD?

I'm getting 60 FPS with default settings to Roku on HD

Running great on SD on the same client

And do well on the FireTV without the transcribing

So lets not jump to conclusions and if possible maybe get answers to why I'm receiving inconsistent results.

I intend to test Matricom Q, two 2015 element Roku TV's (TCL 40FS3800) which I want run, FireTV, FireTV stick, (not getting any problems), and finally a Roku 2.

59ea581c61e1b_SD.gif

maegibbons

No That wasn't the real question, I'm just trying to get stuff to work and asking about the differences is how the app configures HD and SD?

I'm out!  Good luck.

If you sent an in-app log as suggested I am sure @@ebr will get back to you and tell you why it is transcoding your HD.

Krs

Mark

First, let's confirm what you are actually talking about...

You said "using an external" VLC.  There are a number of options in the app.  One of them will launch Live TV in an external player (that you would choose via the OS after the fact) and another will attempt to play your Live TV streams through an internal implementation of VLC.

The first one is what I thought you had chosen based on your use of the word "external" (the option is labled "Use External Player for Live TV".  That's why I said you'd have to check with VLC because, in that instance, you are using their app not ours.

However, now I'm thinking that you are actually using the second option which is labeled "Attempt to use VLC for Live TV".

Can we confirm first which one of these you are actually enabling?

Also, the reason to run the Live TV through the server or transcode it is usually two-fold with Live TV:

1) That is how we enable seeking in a live stream and/or

2) If the stream is interlaced, unless you use VLC, the de-interlacing will have to be done on the server

First, let's confirm what you are actually talking about...

You said "using an external" VLC.  There are a number of options in the app.  One of them will launch Live TV in an external player (that you would choose via the OS after the fact) and another will attempt to play your Live TV streams through an internal implementation of VLC.

The first one is what I thought you had chosen based on your use of the word "external" (the option is labled "Use External Player for Live TV".  That's why I said you'd have to check with VLC because, in that instance, you are using their app not ours.

However, now I'm thinking that you are actually using the second option which is labeled "Attempt to use VLC for Live TV".

Can we confirm first which one of these you are actually enabling?

Also, the reason to run the Live TV through the server or transcode it is usually two-fold with Live TV:

1) That is how we enable seeking in a live stream and/or

2) If the stream is interlaced, unless you use VLC, the de-interlacing will have to be done on the server

Let me get with you offline on this, I actually will run the cat5 and make sure the TLC Roku unit is updated.

I was hanging on HD with the two Roku TV's but running SD fine, no problems actually amazed at how easy it was on the Nuc i3.

When the HD is run off of Quatro (I still need to run the beta patch they sent) I'm hanging on full bar progress and then filing the transcode directory with files.

On the the other side on FireTV all is well but my question was the flip side can I go wide-screen for the old OTA content? I was getting black borders on the 50.

This is ridiculous but I actually have a large home with 7 TV's in it, cannot make this stuff up.  One of the reasons I cut cord early and wanted out of converter fees.

I'm three story in ski country PA and the top two dormers are the only part that isn't direct drop wired, I pulled in a harness so I could do POE for cameras and just haven't gotten around to the two wall drops, cutting connections.  

I'm seeing a delta from 

Virtual Channel none Frequency 671.000 MHz Program Number 5   Modulation Lock 8vsb Signal Strength 77% Signal Quality 100% Symbol Quality 100%   Streaming Rate 2.506 Mbps Resource Lock

I'm also re-hooking up my old 2-channel tuner

But when I go to the true HD channels the Roku's aren't completing the channel lock

Let me just eliminate the issue of bandwidth or dropped packets and give my wireless a break.

Allot of people never seen real HD certainly not from Comcast.  -_- It was 720 in my market

But the HD is choking let me get it in wire first.

Virtual Channel none Frequency 665.000 MHz Program Number 3   Modulation Lock 8vsb Signal Strength 67% Signal Quality 93% Symbol Quality 100%   Streaming Rate 13.613 Mbps Resource Lock 192.168.1.10