Does the Android TV app support network paths?

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I have a somewhat unique setup to watch high bitrate movies beyond what my internet connection can handle as workaround to not having local sync. I want to transition to the Android TV app but can't seem to get it to work like how it is currently working with the Kodi app.

On my remote server I have a "Movies" library and a "Bluray Movies" library. The movies library is where i archive my movie rips encoded at a bitrate that is streaming friendly. The Bluray Movies library contains my latest unwatched full bitrate remuxes. Once I watch the remux I rip it and move it to the movies library and delete the original. The issue is that my home connection is not fast enough to stream the Remuxs in realtime so I sync them locally with my NAS and watch them off my home network.

I use Syncthing to sync the folder containing the Remuxs on my remote server with a folder on my NAS. They are identical copies. On my Emby Server I setup the Bluray Movies library to use the network path \\MYNAS\blurays\movies which is accessible on my local network. This tricks the client to accessing the file directly from my home network rather then my remote server. This works great on Kodi as all my other libraries stream from the remote server but the Bluray Movies library will play from my local NAS.

When I try so do this with my Android TV app the videos in my Bluray Movies library try to direct play from my remote server and not my NAS. Is it possible to use SMB paths on the Android TV app even?

Edited by Jdiesel

Not at this time, no.  For a normal setup (which you obviously don't have) we can statically stream them via http with identical results to playing them over the file system.

• 1 year later...
Jdiesel

Any thoughts on revisiting this? The Shield TV has really beefed up mounting network shares natively at an OS level in 7.0+

Still a possible for the future thing for me as I believe the cost (mostly in troubleshooting) will far outweigh any real benefit to doing this.