All dts soundtracks appear as [dolby].

AdrianW

AdrianW

I've been playing a few movies with dts and dts-ma and they play really well (but as PCM obviously). Emby server reports "Direct Streaming" but I assume it's re-encoding the audio.

But, the strange thing is that the details screen for these movies always shows "dolby" instead of "dts" - perhaps the wrong graphic is being used.

Actually, they should be getting converted to Dolby (not PCM) and I think, since that is the only thing the device supports, we chose to display that for all audio that would eventually end up that way.

AdrianW

The ATV only ever outputs PCM - at least for Netflix and all the other apps I've seen.

I think it would be preferable to show the original audio codec on the details screen though.

The ATV only ever outputs PCM - at least for Netflix and all the other apps I've seen.

Not if you set the device to output Dolby Digital...

Most output settings are either Dolby Digital or PCM 

From Apple's Support Page,

"1. Your sound quality depends on the device that's directly connected to your Apple TV. If you connect your Apple TV directly to a television that only supports stereo-quality audio, you'll hear stereo-quality even when you play 7.1 content.

2. Over HDMI, the Best Quality Available setting outputs Dolby Digital 7.1 or 5.1 as uncompressed LPCM. Some receivers might not show Dolby Digital as the current format, even though there's no loss in audio quality."

It sounds like PCM (dual-channel) might be the best audio quality available in your setup. If your TV has a better or a multi-channel audio option, don't forget to change it so it feeds through your speaker or A/V receiver. 

Edited by Nisten

AdrianW

It sounds like PCM (dual-channel) might be the best audio quality available in your setup. If your TV has a better or a multi-channel audio option, don't forget to change it so it feeds through your speaker or A/V receiver. 

I do have it connected to my receiver which is capable of DD, DD+, TrueHD, DTS, DTS-MA, etc. And I have the ATV setup to output best quality available - that's why it outputs PCM (I'd prefer it to output the original audio but apparently Apple knows better). 

I am getting full surround audio from the ATV - I was playing a DTS-MA movie and it sounded very good, but the Emby app shows it as "dolby" and my receiver shows it as "PCM". I guess what's happening is that my Emby server is transcoding the DTS core track to DD and then the Apple TV converts that to 7.1 PCM.

AdrianW

Hmm, what's your TV set to for audio out?

?? I don't use the TV audio at all. Everything uses my receiver. (ATV > HDMI > Receiver > HDMI > TV)

Just read this page: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204069 for the best quality available:

2. Over HDMI, the Best Quality Available setting outputs Dolby Digital 7.1 or 5.1 as uncompressed LPCM. Some receivers might not show Dolby Digital as the current format, even though there's no loss in audio quality.

So, as the ATV is sending LPCM - my receiver shows "PCM" on it's display.

My issue is that the Emby app is showing dolby when the original soundtrack is dts.

Edited by AdrianW

Yeah, we are using standard Apple images in those spots and they don't have one for DTS.  We will have to create one of our own I guess.

• Like 1

AdrianW

Yeah, we are using standard Apple images in those spots and they don't have one for DTS.  We will have to create one of our own I guess.

If IBN is still a thing, there's a bunch of images for media in the IBN\MediaInfo\All folder.