Add media directly or via network paths?

Mohamed Selim

Mohamed Selim

I have emby installed in the (same machine) that have the media files,these media files are shared via Smb, is it better to enter network paths (//server/media/music) or add them directly(d:/media/music) when creating a new library.What are the advantages and disadvanges in terms of compatibility, speed etc?

Edited by Mohamed Selim

Swynol

i thought that if the media was local on the same machine as emby server then use mapped drive approach.

if the media is on a separate machine/NAS and even if you have it as a mapped drive you should use UNC path.

Does this mean i am doing it wrong? what is the optimal way to do this?

You should never used mapped drives

If the media is on a NAS or stored on another machine use format \\machinename\share\

Mapped drives disconnect and Emby Dev's have always said not to use them.

Edited by dcook

Swynol

sorry i think we have our wires crossed. Mapped drive = a mapping to a remote machine or hard drive or nas.

what i meant was that local internal hard drives mounted to a drive letter. I've used this method for years without issue. But if there's a reason to use UNC paths i.e. something like faster data access, clients more likely to direct play over streaming/transcoding then I will change my setup.

If the media is local to the server machine, use the actual path (drive letter) and then fill in the network path such that other machines can access it.

The above would not be a "mapped" drive but, just a normal drive reference.

dcook is correct that you should never use mapped drives - meaning a network location mapped to a drive letter.  This is very old technology and is not necessary for any modern system as you can use the actual network path instead.

• Like 1

I have emby installed in the (same machine) that have the media files,these media files are shared via Smb, is it better to enter network paths (//server/media/music) or add them directly(d:/media/music) when creating a new library.What are the advantages and disadvanges in terms of compatibility, speed etc?

My suggestion is to use the UNC so that devices that have no notion of mapped drives, smb, nfs etc.. can access the material without trans-coding if possible.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)#Uniform_Naming_Convention

I highly suggest for greatest flexibility to use UNC.   

there is a setting (Optional) Shared network folder:

Under Ubuntu I had to use the optional shared network folder after screwing around with read access and full create access as I was saving metadata in shared folders off of NAS.

But you certainly would opt for the UNC if it works and then use appropriate access rights for user's with read only (playback only) and Create (admin)

My syntax being as follows under ubuntu

smb://192.168.1.26/moviemirror0/films
nfs://192.168.1.26/moviemirror0/films/

and a simple 
UNC under windows which was much easier to manage.
\\WDMYCLOUD\films\films

Hope this helps, your mileage will vary
Oh in actual answer look at the NFO contents, something off of the local server can resolve the artwork and files easier.
The NFO is your friend, test with Kodi with and without the NFO out on shared network drives the artwork loads much faster with the NFO file set to something a client (fireTv can resolve)
Edited by dee1

• 1 year later...
F1nchy

Hi guys
I have a similar issue. 
Basically I have Emby on my QNap NAS but also have a Synology NAS that has my movie archive on it. There are a couple of folders on the Synology that I'd like Emby on the QNap to access as they're for my daughter, but I can't work out how to set the paths under the add folder option in Emby. 

I'm trying to add like this for both folder and (Optional) Shared network folder;
nfs://192.168.0.50/Movie Archive/Movie Archive/My Movie Archive/Animated (Family)

but it says the path cannot be found. 

Any ideas how I do it? 
Thanks

Nfs is not natively supported. Try mounting that to a local share on your server machine , and then add that local share to emby.

F1nchy

I think I understand what you mean, not sure I'm doing it right though. There's an option in the QNap to mount a remore share so I've done that using cifs/smb, and that's showing the share in the file manager on the QNap, but when I try to add it in Emby I cant work out what to put in. I can't find it listed when I search for the folder in the Emby add folder media path bit. 

I'm using the guest account on DSM and have checked that the QNap can browse the folders so I know permissions are fine. Any idea what I need to put as the path and optional shared network path? 

Thanks

F1nchy

No, I can't get that working as I can't see that it shows the path of the mounted share as it doesn't show in the file manager in Emby. 

It's this page I'm stuck at;
5c34c3e6aca98_Capture.jpg

192.168.0.50\Movie Archive\My Movie Archive\Animated (Family)

\\192.168.0.50\Movie Archive\My Movie Archive\Animated (Family)

//192.168.0.50/Movie Archive/My Movie Archive/Animated (Family)

guest@192.168.0.50\Movie Archive\My Movie Archive\Animated (Family) (guest is the account that has access to the share on DSM)

\\guest@192.168.0.50\Movie Archive\My Movie Archive\Animated (Family)

smb://192.168.0.50/Movie Archive/My Movie Archive/Animated (Family)

What should I be putting for the top line and the bottom?
Thanks

PS: Sorry image is huge, it wouldn't let me upload a smaller one when I tried to resize it!

Edited by F1nchy

F1nchy

Just tried it and that doesn't work either, and I can't find anything for Movie Archive when I browse the file struction on that page. 

On the QNap File Manager it shows the connected mount like this;

5c3537d357b17_Capture.jpg

PenkethBoy

if you browse via ssh can you find the Movie Archive mount that way?

@@Luke as this mount requires a user/pwd - is this affected by Emby only using anonymous access???

PenkethBoy

Ok the mounted folder will be under

/mnt which you can browse to in the library setup dialog ... a couple of times to move up the tree

so /mnt/Movie Archive would be what you put in the Folder text box

PenkethBoy

Ok then - manually mount the Syno 

The QNAP forums have several posts on how to do it 

Thanks for trying to help guys. I've decided to move the movies to the QNap for now as a quick fix - the toddler they are for won't allow me much time to work out how to do it via CLI for now so I'll have to have a look into it when I find some time!