Poor quality on Apple TV playback after recent update

eigenator

eigenator

Ok, so I updated both my Mac Server and the apple TV 4 app. ATV is running ios11. Since the new ATV app update, the video quality on playback has dropped. Before I had no problems streaming 1080p video from the server, but now all HD content is grainy and looks no good. I haven't changed anything on the server settings. Also, the following error message keeps popping up all the time on the ATV app: 

Oops. Something went wrong...

undefined is not an object (evaluating 'she.getAllResponseHeaders().trim')

I have no problems streaming HD content to my Android phone or iPad, the ATV is the only device suffering. I have tried to uninstall the app and re-install it, but did not work. 

The apple tv is plugged straight into the router via ethernet cable, and speed tests show that the internet connection is definitely not the problem. Also it worked perfectly before the app was updated. 

Any suggestions? 

• Like 1

@@eigenator

I’m observing the same behavior within the last week or so as well. Taking a look at the Server Dashboard all my content is now transcoding because “Media bitrate exceeds limit.” This was all content that was previously direct playing before.

I suspect it’s an error in the transcoding profile which I know was updated recently.

I also can confirm that I see that same error you’re reporting as well.

As a dev on the project I can try and take a look but it may take a day or two to resolve.

@@ebr @@Luke

Edited by corey

I’ve confirmed that it appears to be limited to my Apple TV 4K as the same content is Direct Playing as expected on my regular Apple TV (4th gen 1080p) that’s communicating to the same server and running the same version of the tvOS Emby app.

The Apple TV 4K does use a separate transcoding profile from the 1080p Apple TV so I suspect the problem is there.

Filialen

I’ve confirmed that it appears to be limited to my Apple TV 4K as the same content is Direct Playing as expected on my regular Apple TV (4th gen 1080p) that’s communicating to the same server and running the same version of the tvOS Emby app.

The Apple TV 4K does use a separate transcoding profile from the 1080p Apple TV so I suspect the problem is there.

Well, I´ve got the exact same problem with an regular (old) Apple TV and TvOS11...

Assuming you guys all have  your video quality set to "Auto" what happens if you set it to a fixed value instead?

mellomade

Yep - I had this issue too - when it was set to Auto the server would transcode all h.264 videos.  When I changed to 40 Mb/s it then it would stream copy.

@@corey, look at the conditions that cause the trailer profile to come into play...

I probably won't be able to look at this for a few days @@ebr. Even then I'm not a profile expert :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have restarted the App multiple times. It didn't really help.

Thanks

Since I just asked you to?

nkhanh68@gmail.com

In the Emby App for AppleTV,  here are my steps to restart the App:

Selected User Icon -> User Menu -> Restart App

Thanks

Okay, then can you please reproduce your issue and post another server and transcode log?

Also, please tell us what your Playback quality setting is in the app.

Thanks!

nkhanh68@gmail.com

Logs attached. and here are the playback settings:

Enable Cinema Mode -  Checked

Auto Queue Episoles - Checked

Default Audio Lanquage - None

Always play default audio track - Checked

Default Subtitle Language - None

Subtitle Selection - Default

Max Bitrate - Auto

ffmpeg-transcode-4f5d68f9-ecf6-4387-98ab-305d8f945654.txt

server-63645479196.txt

Would you mind signing up for the beta to see if it is still a problem there?  If willing, please PM me the Apple ID (email) logged in on the device.

Thanks.

nkhanh68@gmail.com

FYI - Beside the Live TV playback with poor quality, the schedule recordings are having the same issue as well.

Thanks