are my spesification OK?

gun007

Processor : AMD ryzen 5 1500x

Ram : 8 GB

connection : 16Mbps

user access 10-15 with 5 transcoding at the same time, and if i use IPTV and my bandwith is enough are my server still trancode the IPTV source?

What OS will you be using?

I have an old AMD phenom 2 X6 1090T (circa 2010. 6 core 3.2 GHz base clock) that I overclocked to 3.66. The system runs on 8 GB of RAM . Windows 10 OS and Emby are on SSD. Media is on a bank of local NAS grade 7200 RPM high cache HDDs and a volume on my NAS.

Only recently has it started to show its age after I incorporating it with live tv in Emby. In my house it is not uncommon to transcode for 2 of my 4 smart devices and direct play 3 HTPCs without much trouble.

Internally I support up to wireless AC (300 Mbps) and gigabit LAN everywhere. i offload SSL handling to my reverse proxy. And my ISP supplies me with 250 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Swynol

might be ok, i would get an SSD and put your transcoding files on the SSD to make sure the HDDs arent the weak link. 

5 transcodes at a time, is this internal to your network or over the internet? if internal you might be ok. If external then you will have to limit your bandwidth to all external users, which might mean more devices end up transcoding. I have a 20Mbps upload and limit it to 5Mbps for external connections, in theroy i should be able to transcode to 4 devices, however in reality its usually 2 or 3 before people start buffering and having drop outs.Dropping it further to 2Mbps then everyone is usually ok but quality drops and more files need to transcode because their bitrate is higher than 2Mbps. So this puts extra strain on my CPU which can only handle 2 maybe 3 transcodes max. (Intel i3) 

hope that helps, although it sounds confusing

• Like 2

What OS will you be using?

I have an old AMD phenom 2 X6 1090T (circa 2010. 6 core 3.2 GHz base clock) that I overclocked to 3.66. The system runs on 8 GB of RAM . Windows 10 OS and Emby are on SSD. Media is on a bank of local NAS grade 7200 RPM high cache HDDs and a volume on my NAS.

Only recently has it started to show its age after I incorporating it with live tv in Emby. In my house it is not uncommon to transcode for 2 of my 4 smart devices and direct play 3 HTPCs without much trouble.

Internally I support up to wireless AC (300 Mbps) and gigabit LAN everywhere. i offload SSL handling to my reverse proxy. And my ISP supplies me with 250 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i using ubuntu 16.04

might be ok, i would get an SSD and put your transcoding files on the SSD to make sure the HDDs arent the weak link. 

5 transcodes at a time, is this internal to your network or over the internet? if internal you might be ok. If external then you will have to limit your bandwidth to all external users, which might mean more devices end up transcoding. I have a 20Mbps upload and limit it to 5Mbps for external connections, in theroy i should be able to transcode to 4 devices, however in reality its usually 2 or 3 before people start buffering and having drop outs.Dropping it further to 2Mbps then everyone is usually ok but quality drops and more files need to transcode because their bitrate is higher than 2Mbps. So this puts extra strain on my CPU which can only handle 2 maybe 3 transcodes max. (Intel i3) 

hope that helps, although it sounds confusing

i use VPN connections so i think its like internal

Jdiesel

If you are planning on 10-15 users with 5-6 simultaneous  transcodes on a 16Mbps connection you need to make sure the bitrate of your media fits with your connection. You are looking at a file bitrate of 1-2Mbps max before you will start running into delivery problems. So unless your media is already in the 1-2Mbps range you may be transcoding more than expected to get your media to stream smoothly to your clients. 

• Like 1