Add online media to library

darkassassin07

darkassassin07

The ability to add items stored on web servers could be really handy. Im talking about things like YouTube links to directly stream YouTube videos similar to something like vlc, links to images and audio files possibly with the ability to transcode as needed.

Im not sure whether it would be better to have the server connect to the online resource download it, then serve it to the client or have the server give the client the link and let the client handle retrieving it. The former would allow for possible transcoding, but could introduce latency. Idk, throwing ideas around.

darkassassin07

How can i import youtube videos to my libraries? I tried with the iptv pluggin but couldn't get it to actually play anything at all let alone youtube

Edited by darkassassin07

What I'm saying is you could build a channel plugin to import internet content.

The IPTV plugin only supports direct video urls, not youtube webpage ulr.s

darkassassin07

Ah so there us no way currently? I would have to build my own pluggin for it? Has noone explored this befor?

Ah so there us no way currently? I would have to build my own pluggin for it? Has noone explored this befor?

It's been explored but YouTube, for example, isn't a free video source so it isn't as simple as just plugging in some urls.

• 2 months later...

Hi

This feature is available in Serviio and Universal Media player, though no direct interface. Those servers can subscribe to Youtube Rss and similar web links. I use it in Serviio successfully. It offers couple of "web content" and the dev released a youtube plugin that can be entered in the online sources pages.

So yeah it would be so nice if one could subscribe to youtube rss feeds at least,

dcrdev

It's been explored but YouTube, for example, isn't a free video source so it isn't as simple as just plugging in some urls.

Something I don't get is -

You've maintained this stance for some time, but trailers for instance are being loaded from YouTube, using the internal video player within the web app. What is the distinction, between that and having a fully fledged YouTube channel?

Isn't there an API specifically for doing this? Albeit one that you have to pay for beyond a certain bandwidth quota...

are being loaded from YouTube, using the internal video player within the web app. 

Anywhere YT content is being played in Emby it is being done via a sanctioned YT player.  This is fairly easy to do in the web and mobile apps because we have easy access to embed web players that look like they are integrated.

Where it gets tricky is on other devices.

@@Luke

I am trying the Podcast plugin as you recommended. It is promising. I can add the rss and list the channel with its contents (shows the videos in the users video channel) in Emby but the videos are not playing at all. I tried in web app and from a dlna renderer.

This is the xml rss link I use (works in UMS)

https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?user=YOUTUBEUSERNAME

Well, do not get me wrong but that is a bit useless point in this kind of usage case. If I have to craft all these video urls (of a Youtube channel) by hand then it would be no use tome, unless there is another way to accessing Youtube channels that is more friendly to the Podcast plugin.

YouTube video playback requires using a YouTube api individually on every platform, and for that reason YouTube is always something that needs special attention.

• 9 months later...
esldigital

Youtube Plugin is already supported in KODI, 

It just shows that EMBY developers are bunch of couch potatoes.

I am evaluating Emby Plex and KODI to build my media server.

Without online video plugins... I don't see any value in EMBY compare to the other platforms.

Hi.  Some platforms do not care about things like Terms of Service for providers but we do try to adhere to them.  Also, our primary purpose is for your personal library so most of our work is concentrated in that area.  As we move forward, we will have more time for the other areas of content.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Tremas

As someone who has been down this road many times over the years (MediaPortal, Plex, XBMC/Kodi, etc.) having YouTube video integrated directly with the software for your home media isn't worth it. It's much more efficient to just exit Emby/Kodi/Plex and use the YouTube app or browser on whatever system you are using.

Back when HTPCs were the only option, everybody tried to integrate YouTube, and I agree that it would be great if there was one media software interface to rule them all. However, YouTube has always introduced changes to break 3rd party integration and in my experience no 3rd party solution was ever seamless. Today, the official YouTube app is just a click away on my Xbox, Roku, FireTV, or phone. If I'm on my HTPC, I just grab the remote keyboard and fire up the browser. I would love it if YouTube supported a proper API or RSS streams, but I don't see how it would ever be in their interest to do so.

I for one would much rather that the Emby devs focus on personal media libraries and leave YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Spotify, and the rest to to their own apps. Personal media is where this software can add value.

• Like 2

mastrmind11

Though it would definitely be cool to integrate the launching of said apps from within Emby.

Tremas

Agreed, it would be cool but I've been down that road with MediaPortal and I've come around to thinking that one application shouldn't be media server, aggregator, OS shell, and program launcher all in one. It would be great to browse all of your media sources at once and have it launch in the correct service (video, games, music, etc.), but unless the media services want to allow it (and why would they?) I'm happy to just have an easy way to get to them from a single remote.

For software like Emby, I think it's best to focus on the best ways to organize, find, sort, filter, expose, suggest, and seamlessly play your media securely in the best quality on whatever device you've got. That's plenty to be getting on with.

• Like 1

I don't think a full fledged YouTube integration is worth it for the same reasons already mentioned.  HOWEVER, I would like to see the ability to internally play known Youtube videos.

AS IS right now we have YouTube trailers and anytime you play them it spawns the native Youtube player. and this I'd like to see go away.  So I'm not in favor a Youtube browsing or anything like that but would prefer to have these trailers integrated more seamlessly with YouTube.

This probably isn't done to not violate YouTube's TOS.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

This is one issue where open source has the advantage.

Exactly why?  Open source projects should adhere to legal agreements just like any other.

• Like 1