A couple of issues with Tizen app (UK)

matf

FrostByte

What I found on the developer forums is that ARC will passthrough Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 which is basically what you found.  I guess I had my hopes up that maybe the HD versions of those were also supported based on what others said worked :(

Thanks @SamES @vangeliis, I guess I don't need to upgrade my receiver now when my new Samsung gets here

Edited by FrostByte

darknessgp

And to make matters worse I'm not 100% convinced that Tizen does pass through audio correctly even if you manually switch audio settings.

The reason I'm saying that is because when I play files with DD-EX my Onkyo A/V connected to TV via HDMI-ARC recognises them as plain DD, while the same files were recognised as DD-EX with my old LG TV. The same stands for DTS-ES audio. I don't have a rear middle speaker so does not affect me, but still so disappointing. Now I have to spend more money to get a Shield TV.

As an owner of one of these TVs, My understanding is that with these Samsung TVs, if you manually select DD or DTS, it will output that if the audio matches and "scale" down to match. So even though the TV has a DD+ option, if you select DD and then play a DD+ source, it will output DD to the external receiver. It seems to be similar with TrueHD. If you select DD and play a source with TrueHD, it outputs as DD... The TV looks like it won't just pass through but does some kind of audio processing itself before passing it to the receiver.

But if you play something that it can't automatically down scale, it will output PCM. So, if you select DD and play DTS, it outputs PCM. Interesting too is if you manually select DD+ and then play a DD source, it actually outputs PCM again rather than falling back to DD!

The main issue is, while PCM can do multichannel, the TV will only send 2 channel PCM over optical or ARC.

The proposed work around that I would hope Emby would enable doing is to let me set the client to disable playing of DTS or DD. This way, I can manually set the TV to one of those and prevent the fallback to 2 channel PCM while having the server transcode the audio.

• Like 2

vangeliis

As an owner of one of these TVs, My understanding is that with these Samsung TVs, if you manually select DD or DTS, it will output that if the audio matches and "scale" down to match. So even though the TV has a DD+ option, if you select DD and then play a DD+ source, it will output DD to the external receiver. It seems to be similar with TrueHD. If you select DD and play a source with TrueHD, it outputs as DD... The TV looks like it won't just pass through but does some kind of audio processing itself before passing it to the receiver.

But if you play something that it can't automatically down scale, it will output PCM. So, if you select DD and play DTS, it outputs PCM. Interesting too is if you manually select DD+ and then play a DD source, it actually outputs PCM again rather than falling back to DD!

The main issue is, while PCM can do multichannel, the TV will only send 2 channel PCM over optical or ARC.

The proposed work around that I would hope Emby would enable doing is to let me set the client to disable playing of DTS or DD. This way, I can manually set the TV to one of those and prevent the fallback to 2 channel PCM while having the server transcode the audio.

I totally agree that Tizen TVs do some kind of audio processing and that's why we loose the DD-EX or the DTS-ES 7th channel. Maybe it's time to petition for Samsung to bring back proper audio passthrough.

FrostByte

I found an article on Samsung developer forum explaining why Samsung passthrough PCM only does 2 channels and I guess it goes back to the DVD days where most DVDs only supported 2 channels.  Even my old Orsay set only does 2 channels when passing PCM. 

Rtings when they test their TVs every year indicate whether a TV supports passthrough.  So far they have tested the NU8000 this year and it looks like Samsung has dropped DTS passthrough for 2018 sets so things have gotten worse.  First no Dolby Visual, then now they drop DTS.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

This is exactly what I was saying to @SamES :)  The old Orsay app had an option which would allow you say your TV didn't support DTS (even if it did) and then the server would transcode DTS 5.1 to AC3 5.1.  Using similar logic the new app would allow the user to keep their TV set at DD without having to manually change the TV every movie they played because the server would never stream DTS.  I don't think the old app worked the other way around though because we weren't sure if Emby could (for licensing reasons) convert AC3 to DTS

Edited by FrostByte

SamES

This is exactly what I was saying to @SamES :)  The old Orsay app had an option which would allow you say your TV didn't support DTS (even if it did) and then the server would transcode DTS 5.1 to AC3 5.1.  Using similar logic the new app would allow the user to keep their TV set at DD without having to manually change the TV every movie they played because the server would never stream DTS.  I don't think the old app worked the other way around though because we weren't sure if Emby could (for licensing reasons) convert AC3 to DTS

Maybe I misunderstood you.  It would be possible to force it to (optionally) transcode DTS to AC3 to overcome this issue in the TV.  As I understand it, that is what the old orsay app did.  It is not possible to though to 'force' DTS to pass through if the user has not selected DTS in the TV menu.  Ultimately, the TV settings will override, and if it is not set to the same format as the playing source, it will fallback to PCM.

I think we are trying to suggest the same solution.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ya, I know I muddied the conversation a little because I brought up two issues at once and was hoping there could also be another option to turn off audio conversion all together to support people with HD receivers.  That doesn't work though as you say the TV will just convert it to PCM anyhow and not passthrough.  All good, I think we discussed the one part of this in another thread too

Hopefully the app will convert all DTS to AC3 for 2018s which don't even support DTS and no option to switch.  I don't want all my DTS 5.1 to play as PCM 2.0 :)

Edited by FrostByte

darknessgp

Thank you Luke and SamES! 

I've been loving Emby. I know this is really a Samsung stupid issue, but it's nice to know that Emby is open to working around it especially given that Samsung seems to not have any interest in correcting it.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Emby for Samsung Tizen 1.0.61 has been released for 2015-2019 models. Please try it out and stay tuned to the blog for release notes. Thanks !

• 1 month later...