Doesn't handle LAN/WAN switching very well

TheShanMan

TheShanMan

I think what I'm seeing is when my phone switches between wifi and 4G, the MB app gets messed up. I have a server name that works from the internet and works on my wifi, where on wifi my dns resolves it as a local IP. So I'm guessing the app doesn't handle the fact that sometimes "foo.bar.com" resolves to 1.2.3.4 and sometimes it resolves to 192.168.1.1 (obviously those are just examples).

The symptoms are that the content area of the screen will be blank and sometimes I can get to the settings page where I can then pick my connection again and sometimes I actually have to kill the app and restart it.

Does this give enough information to know what's up? If not, I'd be happy to do whatever you need.

Redshirt

After I get Chromecast out the door I'll be looking at connectivity in general. 

Vidman

I think what I'm seeing is when my phone switches between wifi and 4G, the MB app gets messed up. I have a server name that works from the internet and works on my wifi, where on wifi my dns resolves it as a local IP. So I'm guessing the app doesn't handle the fact that sometimes "foo.bar.com" resolves to 1.2.3.4 and sometimes it resolves to 192.168.1.1 (obviously those are just examples).

The symptoms are that the content area of the screen will be blank and sometimes I can get to the settings page where I can then pick my connection again and sometimes I actually have to kill the app and restart it.

Does this give enough information to know what's up? If not, I'd be happy to do whatever you need.

How do you do this?.... I have a dyn DNS host address set up but it's does not resolve to a local IP within my home LAN so all my phone apps I need to have a wan setting and LAN setting and manually switch between them

TheShanMan

I have an internal dns server so I entered an alias for my external name, mapped to the internal address.

Why don't you just use your external IP all the time ? Your router should handle that request either way, it's not like traffic will go out to the internet and back when you are home.

Edited by KRA

Vidman

Why don't you just use your external IP all the time ? Your router should handle that request either way, it's not like traffic will go out to the internet and back when you are home.

Is this what you do? It does not work for me

Vidman, I don't use the android app, but this is how I do it for all my other services, including MB3 web gui.

rabbit1543

Not all routers will allow NAT Hairpin. If your router supports this then you can use your external ddns name for this. Personally my router does support this and i use my ddns name for all android apps that require internal and external communications. While i dont do a ton of MB3 watching on my android it does work with that quite well, i've never run into the issues that you describe

• 2 weeks later...
TheShanMan

Bumping just in case this has fallen off the radar. I'm not going to die or anything, but I do get tired of dealing with the hassle of all the app crashes, so I'm anxiously awaiting better reliability with regard to connectivity. :)

Tikuf

It hasn't fallen off the radar bumping is not required it is just not as simple as you would think.  :)