Passthrough on FTV Stick

neik

Hi guys,

I've been playing around with Emby & Plex and I liked both but in Emby you seem to have more possibilites to set it up and that's why I would rather go with Emby.

To see if the audio passthrough works correctly on the FTV Stick App I tried some HD-Trailers with AC3 5.1 and DTS(-HD).

Right here the plex app didn't pass the test, it failed completely to passthrough any type of audio but PCM. I had to use the workaround with Kodi + plex addon which then worked flawlessly (AC3 + DTS Core).

The Emby app,on the one hand was able to passthrough the AC3 correctly but on the other hand DTS didn't work correctly. My receiver just received Dolby Digital no matter what type of audio I chose.

I wasn't expecting it to work with DTS-HD (my receiver doesn't support it) but the DTS-Core should work without problems.

After having experienced the same issues with Plex I wanted to try the same workaround using Kodi.

Unfortunately this time it didn't work that great. I had problems in setting up the addon and when I had it set up the files didn't stream, no matter what I tried.

Are you guys experiencing the same issues? Is there a working workaround like the one for Plex?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Jdiesel

I think there is a version of Kodi v16 with a hacked fix for DTS on FireTV devices. I'll see if I can find the link. Moving forward Kodi won't support DTS on the FireTV as it does not adhere to the Android specs for passthrough.

Edit:

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/kodi-20171012-ec4585c-shitty-armeabi-v7a.apk

If you want to read more about the changes here is the thread.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735

Edited by Jdiesel

Have you tried the new EmbyCon addon for Kodi? I think you'll find it a lot simpler. No syncing required:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46651-embycon-kodi-addon/

Thanks.

Thanks for the hint!

Using a local server worked much better than the other addon I tested.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try a remote setup and report back.

Hi.  The Fire doesn't natively support DTS so our app cannot pass it through.

How comes that Kodi until V16.1 and apparently (some) SPMC can passthrough at least up to the DTS core?

I think there is a version of Kodi v16 with a hacked fix for DTS on FireTV devices. I'll see if I can find the link. Moving forward Kodi won't support DTS on the FireTV as it does not adhere to the Android specs for passthrough.

I had another look and it seems SPMC has the passthrough fix included. I'd recommend the SPMC build over the official Kodi builds for Android anyways.

https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/Recommended-passthrough-audio-settings-for-SPMC,-Fire-TV-and-AV-Receivers

I haven't tried it myself and don't know the technical reasons for it but it seems to be true that only Kodi up to V16.1 support DTS on the FTV Stick.

Tbh, this doesn't disturb me much but nevertheless I'm gonna give SPMC a try - never used it before, thanks for the hint!

Thanks to everyone of you for your quick feedback!  :) 

Jdiesel

Thanks for the hint!

Using a local server worked much better than the other addon I tested.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try a remote setup and report back.

How comes that Kodi until V16.1 and apparently (some) SPMC can passthrough at least up to the DTS core?

I haven't tried it myself and don't know the technical reasons for it but it seems to be true that only Kodi up to V16.1 support DTS on the FTV Stick.

Tbh, this doesn't disturb me much but nevertheless I'm gonna give SPMC a try - never used it before, thanks for the hint!

Thanks to everyone of you for your quick feedback!  :)

I would imagine that SPMC will continue to support this passthrough fix with new versions. There are beta versions of SPMC with Kodi v17 on the SPMC github page if you are interesting in testing them out.

• 3 years later...
vagoss2006

I have the Firestick 4K and using Emby.  Firestick is now passing through DTS without any problems and it lighting my AVR as DTS.  Before Emby would transcode DTS to DD+ and my AVR would light up as DD+.  I have no clue what happened unless there was an update on the Firestick but I'm getting DTS passthrough to my AVR now.  anyone else experiencing the same?

Edited by vagoss2006