Looking at Emby for Live TV and Recording for OTA

BurntTech

BurntTech

Hey guys,

I was looking through the forums and trying to figure out the right way to get just some basic OTA with TV Guide in USA. I have options on what to buy but cost seems to creep very quickly.  It appears i'm stuck between too many products. Plex really doesn't work for me as it requires alot of external connections (Internet) but handles TV Guide well with HDHomerun. Emby has Live TV and Recording but seems like manual config(Not against this) or pay 25 a year for SD (Wife Veto). The Xbox One with the USB Tuner really does work pretty well and Guide comes through good and xbox glass for sharing but no recording. NextPVR has some Guide ability but seems sorta the same vein as ZAP XML route or can you use a Hauppauge tuner and get that data? Does the HDHomerun block OTA EPG?  I'm not sure if I need recording as a requirement but having live TV with a guide would be. The part that I would like is using the same interface for movies and music and TV. The part that confuses me isn't this info part of DVB EPG that ANT gives you? Sorry if I just mushed too much research together!

hi @@BurntTech, in the future we hope to be able to support the embedded epg from the raw stream. for now your options would be schedules direct or an xmltv setup. Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

maegibbons

HDHomerun is the tuner of choice with Emby.

Yes, as @@Luke says you can use XMLTV feed for your guide BUT honestly just pay and use SD.

HDHomerun setup and SD is a 5 Minutes install and works very very well.

Its well worth the 26 dollars per annum.

krs

Mark

• Like 1

I'm with him. 50 cents a week for a robust guide with essentially no effort is totally worth it.

I've been known to be cheap, and paying for guide data that I should be able to get for free steamed me a bit at first, but really this was one I let go and just paid the fee. Completely worth it, no regrets.

Tell the wife it is part of your birthday present or something. [emoji3][emoji3]

maegibbons

Tell the wife it is part of your birthday present or something. [emoji3][emoji3]

NO.  Tell her its part of HER birthday present!! :)

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

I just finished up most of the setup, for the record I use currently silicon dust DVR on WD-EX2 Nas.

What I did was: create two accounts at tvguide.com

Set my preferences

Downloaded http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

zap2xml.exe

Downloaded https://sourceforge.net/projects/xmltv/files/

xmltv.exe

Extracted everything into one directory as an example C:\epg

created a batch file

zap2xml -z -u xxxxx@yahoo.com -p password -o bal.xml -c bal -U -I
zap2xml -z -u xxxxx2@yahoo.com -p password2 -o phi.xml -c phi -U -I
xmltv.exe tv_merge -i phi.xml -m bal.xml -o xmltv.xml

What this did was grab the channels from OTA from BAL and PHI and combine them into on file or the EMBY default of xmltv.xml

I'm heading down to grab a Quatro today. 
What is missing is ICONS however the guide is correct
I just consolidated and tweaked and I'll see about getting icons later, I'll ask and maybe save some time, but details are thin here at times unless you get an email from a Sr. board member.

I highly suggest two cache and and TVGUIDE if you are OTA as I ran into number naming deltas otherwise.

But it works.. had some hangs via browser on tuner and had to reboot the emby server to unlock the tuner, I have not fully tested FireTV or the Roku plugin

Hope this helps

nagle3092

I have zap2xml setup and it works great imo. I dont get icons for some of the shows like spanish shows and paid programming but I am happy with what I got for being free. Schedules direct does offer more guide info and is undoubtedly easier to setup since its only a username and password.

I have zap2xml setup and it works great imo. I dont get icons for some of the shows like spanish shows and paid programming but I am happy with what I got for being free. Schedules direct does offer more guide info and is undoubtedly easier to setup since its only a username and password.

I'm still kicking the tires I bought the DVR software for a year from Silicon Dust and use their guide data currently.. 

I'm still kicking the tires and wanted the data,

I was tempted to SSH into my EX2 and grab theirs  :lol:   I paid for it.

BurntTech

Thanks guys for all the info. Ended up getting a python version working on a cron task and works good enough for my once or twice we are going to use in it a month. If anyone is interested its easier to have this run on a windows server or linux server then trying to this to run on FreeNas unix and save it to the FreeNas fileshare. Then update Emby to use the local path in the jail.

as a house hold we came from having so many monthly subscriptions we had to crack down on them because they add up real fast. i'm sure its a good service :-)

Thanks guys for all the info. Ended up getting a python version working on a cron task and works good enough for my once or twice we are going to use in it a month. If anyone is interested its easier to have this run on a windows server or linux server then trying to this to run on FreeNas unix and save it to the FreeNas fileshare. Then update Emby to use the local path in the jail.

as a house hold we came from having so many monthly subscriptions we had to crack down on them because they add up real fast. i'm sure its a good service :-)

I ran into allot of issues trying to get the correct share information in setup using Ubuntu with Western Digital and finally went windows 10 and of course though Western Digital Ex2 are linux they support rights very well under windows and not so cleanly under linux.  I don't want to OK deletion and or have the shares hanging off the network as public.  I got much better control with windows if that is any help and would suggest that if all things were equal and you had the license to go that route.  

https://lifehacker.com/5984278/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-8-with-an-upgrade-disc

And then went for 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

you might find legal 8.1 professional on ebay more reasonably priced.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-8-1-Pro-Professional-32-64bit-Genuine-License-Key-Product-Code/253211248117?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41451%26meid%3Dd0ba219202504e7a862edd97c6a7a843%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D263267421514&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I'm now running clean windows 10 64 and NUC is doing allot more support for hardware encoding under win10.

BurntTech

I use both windows and linux in this environment but I think the key player is Active Directory that really brings all this together. This allows easy share management for users or services. Then task just runs as a service user for windows. Shares should have authentication and not open to public or even local network if that can be helped. I would be using windows for Emby if I hadn't left Windows server storage services due to issues for freenas (Had used OpenMediaVault also). Does the WD ex2 support tv guide information too ssh into or you mean ssh into HDHomerun?

Edited by BurntTech

geoland1st

I just started trying out emby live tv and dvr and comparing it to my plex install. I just set up a program guide using mx2xml.exe. It looks like it worked ok, and it is somewhat free. I say somewhat free, because I believe I had to make a $20 donation a few years ago when I picked it up. It seems to pull guide data from some microsoft  xbox/windows media center sources. It looks like it pulled in 5 days of listings. That is probably not enough, if I were to go with this solution. Plex seems to have a better solution than Emby, in this area. The plex guide data is included and is very rich.

• 7 months later...