Make emby identify foreign films that include original title.

Guest topbanana
Go to solution Solved by Guest topbanana,

Guest topbanana

Please can we make emby able to correctly identify foreign films when the original title is included in the filename enclosed in normal brackets (parentheses).

Currently, if the filename of the movie has either the English title, or the foreign title only, then the film will get identified.

If the filename includes the English title and the original title enclosed in brackets, it will not identify the movie.

e.g.

English Title (YYYY).mkv

Original Title (YYYY).mkv

These two work just fine.

English Title (Original Title) (YYYY).mkv

With this filename, emby simply can't identify it.  And you have to manually 'Identify' by copying either titles into the Identify dialog.

Including the original title, enclosed in brackets, is very common and the logical, correct way of including both titles for foreign films and any other films that have differing titles in different regions.

For example, here's Rotten Tomato's Top 100 Art House & International Movies:
59dd08cb79f22_embyrottentoms.png

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/top_100_art_house__international_movies/

From the 100 movies in this list, emby will fail to identify 38 of them.

Entering these filenames into any other system, website, app, etc. results in the correct movies being identified.  emby fails.

Having to manually identify all these foreign films is laborious, time consuming and ultimately surprising...   Why can't emby cope with these???

Happy2Play

Do those titles appear on OMDB or TMDB that way?  IMDB doesn't list them that way either.

A specific example is always best as "English Title (Original Title) (YYYY).mkv" is meaningless when trying to test a example.

Guest topbanana

A specific example is always best as "English Title (Original Title) (YYYY).mkv" is meaningless when trying to test a example.

I gave you 38 real examples.

Guest topbanana

...IMDB doesn't list them that way either.

The IMDB are very good at including the original title in the entry's header.

And it finds the titles perfectly when searching for the whole filename as wanted.

59dd2c569cc1c_imdblola2.png

59dd2c6ead3dd_imdblola.png

Happy2Play

Sorry I guess IMDB's search engine is able to find them that way but TMDB and OMDB don't so the name has to be parsed and searchable.

Guest topbanana

Do those titles appear on OMDB or TMDB that way?...

TMDB again includes the original title on the films page (bottom right).

It's on the page as it's relevant.  As it's a foreign film with different titles in different regions.

59dd2e4a415d2_tmdblola.png

Happy2Play

Yes you can search "run lola run" or "lola rennt" but combine them and you get nothing "run lola run (lola rennt) (1998)" and you get nothing.  So do to everyones naming convention how do you parse this name and return results?

Edited by Happy2Play

Guest topbanana

I just selected 25 movies from my disk that have the filename in the 'English Title (Original Title) (YYYY).mkv' format, and dropped them into Filebot.
I then asked it to query The Movie DataBase and it immediately identified 20 of them and asked about 5... All of the 5 had the correct film at the top of the Best Matches.

From experience, filebot has almost no effort dealing with included original titles as above.

And it is querying TMDB.

I think it's probably a good idea to support this but you're saying that it's commonly used I don't think is correct. I don't recall anyone doing this before.

• Like 1

Guest topbanana

Yes you can search "run lola run" or "lola rennt" but combine them and you get nothing "run lola run (lola rennt) (1998)" and you get nothing.  So do to everyones naming convention how do you parse this name and return results?

59dd302f8a996_imdblola3.png

Having said that, i tested a few of these rotten tomatoes examples, and they worked using the MovieDb search engine, which means they should work with Emby:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari)
La Grande illusion (Grand Illusion)
SEVEN SAMURAI (SHICHININ NO SAMURAI)
THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS (LA BATTAGLIA DI ALGERI)
Seven Samurai (Shichinin no Samurai)

Happy2Play

It is do to the way Emby parses and serched the name as your log already tells you.

2017-10-10 13:41:07.112 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/movie?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&query=run+lola+run+(lola+rennt&language=en
2017-10-10 13:41:07.665 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://www.omdbapi.com?apikey=fe53f97e&plot=full&r=json&y=1998&t=run+lola+run+(lola+rennt&type=movie

Guest topbanana

The fact remains that to correctly filename a foreign movie, so that it is understood by us humans, it is going to contain the (e.g.) English Title AND the German Title.  So that an English person recognises the movie, and the German person recognises the movie.

The filenames are their for us humans too, not just for the machine.   

It must be possible to enable emby to deal with this justified and common filename???

Guest topbanana

Having said that, i tested a few of these rotten tomatoes examples, and they worked using the MovieDb search engine, which means they should work with Emby:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari)
La Grande illusion (Grand Illusion)
SEVEN SAMURAI (SHICHININ NO SAMURAI)
THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS (LA BATTAGLIA DI ALGERI)
Seven Samurai (Shichinin no Samurai)

Yeah, i think a few of them do get correctly ID'ed...   But i only remember/notice the ones that don't :-D  ...  and i have a lot of foreign films in my library!

Guest topbanana

I think it's probably a good idea to support this but you're saying that it's commonly used I don't think is correct. I don't recall anyone doing this before.

It's not best to think that if you don't do something... that no one else does it either. ;-)

Do you have many 'foreign' films?

Do you maintain the filenames so that they are nice and tidy and Human Readable? (There's a lot of us OCD here i'm sure!)

If i give my movie disk to my French mate, he's probably not going to recognise any of the french movies on the disk... as the titles are often completely different!

And the above way, the way RT has them listed, etc. is just the normal standard way you'd write if talking about it.   Just normal grammar.

Edited by topbanana

naeonline

Does EMBY follow the old adage of MediaBrowser naming where anything in [] backets is ignored in the filename?  Perhaps putting the foreign title or english title in those would work for your file naming purposes and allow EMBY to ignore the other language in order to get results.

Guest topbanana

Does EMBY follow the old adage of MediaBrowser naming where anything in [] backets is ignored in the filename?  Perhaps putting the foreign title or english title in those would work for your file naming purposes and allow EMBY to ignore the other language in order to get results.

I think it does.

But when naming something (where we also add the original title) you tend to use normal brackets (because that's what everyone usually does).

We could use square brackets, but they're not commonly used in normal grammar (though computer programmers probably use them a bit).

emby could just ignore what's in either brackets.  That would work well probably.

It may make a mistake if there was a movie with brackets in the title itself, but that's going to be exceedingly rare, where as having normal brackets used for original titles will be 100x, 1000x more common...  So breaking 1, but fixing 1000!

I've no idea how emby does look up the movies.  but it could perhaps go like this:

English Title (Original Title) (YYYY).mkv   < New Movie filename
English Title (Original Title)              < It recognizes the year and extracts it?
English Title (Original Title)              < emby probably doesn't get a match, so next ignores Brackets...
English Title                               < emby should get the match, but if not, only look at original title...
               Original Title               < emby should get it now...

With the above logical steps, emby would be IDing most of our movies in the same way it always has at the first try, just looking at the whole filename...

But if there's no match (does it use confidence levels???)  Then it can fall back on first ignoring the bracketed text... or secondly, only looking at the bracketed text.  It should then get a match.

Using whatever it takes, all we want is emby to be able to identify all the movies in our libraries.

Edited by topbanana

Good day,

I used to do this before, and with Emby server it hit / miss.

ex: movie title (original title).mkv

What work 90% of the time as:

ex: movie title - original title.mkv

I been requested this for long times, but still not apply yet.

My best

Guest topbanana

Please try again with the next release of emby server, thanks.

Awesome.

I'm getting a new laptop this week, so will be creating a fresh, new install of emby.

I'll let you know how it copes ;-)

• Solution
Guest topbanana

Please try again with the next release of emby server, thanks.

I've installed the Beta Version 3.2.34.0 and it's working just as hoped.

All my foreign film that had previously been left unidentified have been successfully identified just fine.

There's a couple that didn't but they're just the background noise.

So a good step forward.  Emby works as it should now.

Cheers!