Albums from two artists not shown from genre page

EduardoSantos
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Happy2Play

@@Luke

OP has a folder named that way.

<poster>C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\The Mozart Sessions\folder.jpg</poster>

@@Luke

OP has a folder named that way.

<poster>C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\The Mozart Sessions\folder.jpg</poster>

Which is fine, it doesn't matter because we don't care about the artist folder name. It is the name inside the artist nfo file that is causing the problem.

EduardoSantos

Does that answer your questions?

Almost!

Should I remove this nfo or edit it?

On editin it, how should the title clause be corrected?

From this

<title>Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea</title>

To this?

<title>Bobby McFerrin</title>

<title>Chick Corea</title>

EduardoSantos

Does that answer your questions?

I went ahead and removed the nfo from the double artists folder.

Rescanned everything.

And indeed the "ghost" "Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea" artist listed both under "Jazz" and "Jazz Vocal" genres went away.

But neither McFerrin nor Corea are shown on "Jazz" and "Jazz Vocal" genres.

As this is a test environment and it contains only the mentioned albums, there are actually no artists shown on genres page: just Albums and Musics.

Rescanned, deleted the "%appdata%\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\artists" and even deleted the library.db.

Nothing makes them to be listed as artists on the genres pages.

I brought the nfo back to the double artists' folder and edited it according to:

<title>Bobby McFerrin</title>
<title>Chick Corea</title>

(though I kew it was probably wrong)

Then, after a rescan, Emby removed "<title>Bobby McFerrin</title>" but kept the <title>Chick Corea</title> on the nfo and it showed Corea as artist on both "Jazz" and "Jazz Vocal" genre pages.

I decided then, to create artists folders below the main library folder and placed an nfo to each one even though these folders would have no album below them. There were only the albums under the double artists folder.

So, on this scenario I had three folders under the library root:

C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin
C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea
C:\Users\Public\Music\Chick Corea

I also had an nfo to each single artists folder and no nfo on the double artists one.

Even in this scenario Emby won't show any of the artists on genre pages.

It seems to me Emby will show a given album artist on the genre's pages only if:

a ) the artist does have a folder on the library (and not on appdata's artists one)

b ) this library folder has at least one album.

I had even manually inserted the albums under each artist nfo but Emby will wipe this out after a rescan.

So now, neither Corea nor McFerrin will show on the genres page. 

(Also, as a side effect, on the album detail page Emby does not show background and logo images from the double artists folder: just the ones it picks from the McFerrin's %appdata%\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\artists folder).

Any directions as to

- Make them both appear as "Jazz" and "Jazz Vocal" artists on the genre pages?

- Show only images from the double artists folder?

Edited by EduardoSantos

Well for the second question, no, because as I pointed out earlier, the genre images are a random selection of images from media with that genre.

EduardoSantos

Well for the second question, no, because as I pointed out earlier, the genre images are a random selection of images from media with that genre.

Ok, but is there any answer to the first question?

I tried some circunventions but no success.

It seems Emby will not show any "album artist" under the "%appdata%\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\artists" folder on the genre page.

No matter they are double or single "album artists" if their NFOs and images are not on the library they are simply not shown on genre page.

I wonder if this will only happen when the flag "store artwork and metadata inside media folders" on library definition is turned on.

EduardoSantos

Please attach an emby server log, thanks.

Ok!

So, in this scenario I am using the test environment I've created to tackle this issue.

Emby starts with no album on the library and no artists on %appdata%\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\artists.

I move back to the library folder the same double artists albums already mentioned from Bobby McFerrin and Chick Corea.

Rescan library

Emby picks up the albums and inserts them on the database.

Emby creates three artists folders below %appdata%\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\artists:

- Bobby McFerrin

- Chick Corea

- The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra

But only two of them are "album artists" which should be shown on the genre page. 

But they are not shown.

Only the albums are shown on their genres pages.

I add a new (solo) Bobby McFerrin album and rescan library.

Newly added album is shown on the genre page.

But Bobby McFerrin still not shown as a genre artist.

No artist.nfo is created on McFerrin's library folder - as it already exists below %appdata%

I manually delete all %appdata% artists and rescan library.

No honey. Emby recreates the artists and nfos below %appdata% and no artist is shown on genre pages.

I manually move McFerrin's nfo from %appdata% to the library folder.

Also edit McFerrin's nfo to adjust the info on images placement.

Rescan library.

And finnaly Bob McFerrin is shown as an artist (but only on "jazz vocal" genre).

Corea (which has no solo album and only the %appdata% nfo) is not shown on genre page.

Sorry for the delay to attach the logs.

Hope my explanation was clear enough

server-63644012251.txt

server-63644013249.txt

I'm guessing your audio files are not tagged with these album artists because that's where it comes from.

EduardoSantos

I'm guessing your audio files are not tagged with these album artists because that's where it comes from.

How shall I proceed?

Same audio files. 

Only difference is the artist nfo location. 

If the location is under appdata, artist is not shown on genre.

If the location is under library, artist is shown on genre.

Edited by EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

It looks like the artists are tagged in the files as artists and not album artists.

This is not true. 

I do not know the criteria Emby uses to chose from storing album artist info on the library or below the %appdata% structure.

But what I can see and reproduce with any music album, after bulding a specifict test environment and triple checking all media files tagging is that:

Regardless being a solo artist album or not, when artist album info (nfo) is stored under %appdata% Emby will not show this artist on the genre page.

Moving artist's nfo to the library results on the artist to be shown on the genre page.

I think this is pretty much simple to reproduce and I already did with several music albums both on the production environment and the test one.

I would suggest not worrying about the folder structure and instead look at the embedded tags in the audio files.  What you are essentially doing with the folder structure is hacking by forcing an older way of doing things. Nobody is testing what you're doing and that's why it's not working perfectly for you.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

EduardoSantos

I would suggest not worrying about the folder structure and instead look at the embedded tags in the audio files.  What you are essentially doing with the folder structure is hacking by forcing an older way of doing things. Nobody is testing what you're doing and that's why it's not working perfectly for you.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

There is no concern about folder structure.
I understood the old nfo files were causing the problem which I mistakenly attributed to the dual artist albums.
You were the one who told me about it and this is really ok.
I already deleted all nfo files containing more than one artist.

During nfo deletion, though, I noticed that there is another problem which relates to the location of the artists nfo file.

This problem is very, very simple and, though I have already have a test environment you can do it in no time and verify that it is a real Emby bug.

For any given album artist from any given music genre, this artist is not listed under Home>Music>Genres>"GIVEN_GENRE" when his NFO is located under %appdata% structure.
If his NFO is located on the library, Emby will list him under Home>Music>Genres>"GIVEN_GENRE"
Though Emby lists this artist on "Home>Music>Album artists" regardless NFO location, this does not occur on Home>Music>Genres>"GIVEN_GENRE".

Can you please test it just by checking if you can see any album artist listed on the Home>Music>Genres> when his NFO is under %appdata%?

EduardoSantos

Thanks. I will test all over again.

But anyway let me close this thread as the original problem was solved.

Happy2Play

This appears resolved in beta 3.2.34.2.

A lot more artists appear compared to image in post #3.

Edited by Happy2Play