Albums from two artists not shown from genre page

EduardoSantos
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

EduardoSantos

I do not know what Emby would suppose to do on this scenario but it seems there is something strange.

I am running Emby Premiere 3.2.33.0. 
My music is tagged by MP3Tag.

There is a music library and it contains a music album tagged such as there are two artists as "Album Artists":

- Album name: First Time! The Count Meets the Duke

- Album artist: Duke Ellington; Count Basie

- Album genre: Jazz

Emby displays this for the Jazz genre:

59dbfcad77959_e5.png

And this seems to be ok as there are several jazz artists and albums. 

Then, when artists view is expanded, this is the screen I receive:

59dbfd45ee02c_e6.png

And it tells me that there is a Jazz album with Duke/Count as the artists album. 
I think Emby should use a "/" between both names (as it shows on album detail - you will see below) but that is no problem to me.

If I select just Duke Ellington this is the output:
59dbfe3c1606e_e2.png

And I also think this is good cause Emby shows the target album.

I think Emby should display both album artists (Duke/Count) below the thumbnail but this is not a big problem.

And if I select just Count Basie instead of Duke, the target album is also shown:

59dbff7c4ca04_e3.png

The main problem is when I select both of them. This leads me to this output:

59dbffe37697b_e1.png

Reporting no tracks and a total time of 40minutes (rounding the actual 39:42 from the album)

And then there is the album detail which seems to show correctly both the artists names as links to all their records.

There is no means to go from this screen to other albums in which they worked toghether but there is the "/" between their names and it seems ok to me. 

59dbff509f5c8_e4.png

This occurs on all albuns with two artists as "album artists". 

When I have more than two artists as album artists they are tagged as Various artists.

So my problems are:

1) Double artists albums shown incorrectly on genre page (names below the thumb);

2) Double artists thumbnail on genre page leads to no album;

3) Double artists album detail has no means to get other albums by the same team.

Are these errors?

Happy2Play

From the "Jazz" genre example it looks like only physical folder Artists are listed in Genre not Album Artists.

59dd5b30bece9_jazz.jpg

The "Duke Ellington and John Coltrane" album resides in John Coltrane folder.  In my example there are multiple Jazz albums but I only have two physical Artist folders "Frank Sinatra and John Coltrane" so only those two Artists appear.

http://whs2011-home:8096/emby/Users/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/Items?SortOrder=Ascending&IncludeItemTypes=MusicArtist&Recursive=true&Fields=AudioInfo%2CSeriesInfo%2CParentId%2CPrimaryImageAspectRatio%2CBasicSyncInfo%2CAudioInfo%2CSeriesInfo%2CParentId%2CPrimaryImageAspectRatio%2CBasicSyncInfo&Limit=8&StartIndex=0&CollapseBoxSetItems=false&SortBy=SortName&Genres=Jazz. 
Edited by Happy2Play

I wonder if my description of the problem is ok...

It's fine. Sometimes there are things that don't have quick answers.

Happy2Play

What does that explain?

Why only Artist is displayed and not Album Artists in Genre.

Edited by Happy2Play

EduardoSantos

Did you possibly change your embedded audio tags at one point and then re-scan? 

So what I did was to create a new test environment with a fresh Emby install.

This installation is using Emby Version 3.2.33.0

All music tagged by MP3Tag

To this test I chose two albums according to:

Album artist: Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea

Album names: The Mozart Sessions (genre Jazz Vocal), Play (genre Jazz)

Path to Emby music library: C:\Users\Public\Music\

Path to albums:

C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\The Mozart Sessions

C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\Play

And this is what I got after scanning the library:

Album Artists page:

59e0bd6420557_Emby01.jpg

Genres page:

59e0bd84a2e15_Emby02.jpg

Jazz genre page:

59e0bdd29ab29_Emby03.jpg

Jazz Vocal page:

59e0be1118eec_Emby04.jpg

Genre>Jazz>Bobby McFerrin;Chic Corea page:

59e0be86e0268_Emby05.jpg

The Mozart Sessions Album page:

59e0beb713cfb_Emby06.jpg

Album Artists>Bobby McFerrin page:

59e0c26103b85_Emby07.jpg

Album Artists>Chick Corea page:

59e0c29151ab8_Emby08.jpg

Problems/inconsistencies list I noticed and some suggestions:

1) Album artists page
Currently Emby lists separately all album artists. There are no thumbnail to "double artists". I think this can be understood by a "design concept".
In order to accommodate double artists album exhibition, Emby would present them as "Bobby McFerrin / Chick Corea", "Chick Corea / Bobby McFerrin" or both Thumbs? And what if the album was produced by a trio? It seems that all these double or triple artists info could be easily shown on the Artists page. See number X below.
2) "Jazz" or "Jazz Vocal" genre pages
Artists section
Currently Emby lists just the thumbnail to the double artists. It seems (to keep things simple) that Emby should exhibit just single artists thumbs just as it is shown on the "Album artists" page (see number 1 above). I should see, therefore, only Chick's and Bobby's thumbs here.
Album section
Currently Emby shows the album thumb with only one of the participants. I think it should exhibit all participants below the album thumb. We would probably have some space problems as there are things like orchestra names and the directors so it seems that an automatic rotation would be needed.
3) Genre>Jazz>Bobby McFerrin;Chic Corea page
Again, to keep things simple, this page should simply not exist.
There should be no link to it on the genre pages just as mentioned on iten 2 above.
In fact it seems to me that there would be no "double artists" thumb/link anywhere.
4) Album pages
These are album detail pages so it is ok to list all Album artists above the Album title.
Also on "More from" section on this page, someone has to decide if there should only be exhibited collaborative albums with the very same team or all albums from every Album artist from the team. Anyway the album artists field below the thumb should list all participants but currently shows only the first.
Emby currently picks background images to collaborative album pages from the correct path and this is really beautiful: as we browse a specific Chick Corea or Bobby McFerrin album Emby shows only Corea's or McFerrin's images but when we browse their collaborative work we have background images with both of them.
And this leads to an additional issue:
5) Images for the collaborative work
If there were no thumbs/links to collaborative artists anywhere on Emby just as I suggested on item 3 above, how could we change or upload Cover or Background images to their collaborative works?
Well, there could be new sections on album detail page to list collaborative albums. On this case, there should be a section "Ckick Corea / Bobby McFerrin". The section title could be a link to reach to a page of all their work as a team and from this page images and team information could be loaded.

Sorry for the suggestions. I am really confident you guys are going to propose much better responses but I could not help making them.

I think your audio tags are using ; to separate artists but I believe we are only supporting /.

So in the case, those big long entries with semi colon end to getting treated like one artist and that's why it doesn't look great.

Ok so we do actually also split on semi-colons. When you set up this test environment did you have any old album nfo's hanging around?

1) Album artists page

Currently Emby lists separately all album artists. There are no thumbnail to "double artists". I think this can be understood by a "design concept".
In order to accommodate double artists album exhibition, Emby would present them as "Bobby McFerrin / Chick Corea", "Chick Corea / Bobby McFerrin" or both Thumbs? And what if the album was produced by a trio? It seems that all these double or triple artists info could be easily shown on the Artists page. See number X below.

If we're able to split the artists value, then you see each artist individually and they each get their own image. if not, then it will likely be awkward because you'll one album artist entry with a lot of names in it.

Does this answer your question?

2) "Jazz" or "Jazz Vocal" genre pages

Artists section
Currently Emby lists just the thumbnail to the double artists. It seems (to keep things simple) that Emby should exhibit just single artists thumbs just as it is shown on the "Album artists" page (see number 1 above). I should see, therefore, only Chick's and Bobby's thumbs here.
Album section
Currently Emby shows the album thumb with only one of the participants. I think it should exhibit all participants below the album thumb. We would probably have some space problems as there are things like orchestra names and the directors so it seems that an automatic rotation would be needed.

No, sorry, we're not overthinking this. The thumbnail you see for each genre is just a randomized selection taken from media items that have those genres.

Does this answer your question?

3) Genre>Jazz>Bobby McFerrin;Chic Corea page

Again, to keep things simple, this page should simply not exist.
There should be no link to it on the genre pages just as mentioned on iten 2 above.
In fact it seems to me that there would be no "double artists" thumb/link anywhere.

Maybe this is due to my question in post #11.

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Looking thru my Music genre if a track contains multiple artists, genre only shows/is linked to one

Take this example "Blake Shelton:Pistol Annies"

59e11cb59b4d8_track.jpg

Album metadata

59e11d7b3e8cc_meta.jpg

Genre display (no Pistol Annies or Gwen Sebastian)

59e11d8ec9f29_genre.jpg

So In my example only Album Artists is displayed, not all Artists that apply to that genre for that Album.

59e11eb0f1780_embedded.jpg

Happy2Play

I see them all. Have you customized any hidden config switches?

Only Imagesaving, but that was before I had any music in my library.

SimpleArtistdetection is set to true which I believe is default.

Happy2Play

I see them all. Have you customized any hidden config switches?

I get the same results on a portable clean install.  To me it only displays Artist that you physically have (ie I have *\Music\Blake Shelton but don't have Pistol Annies).

Edited by Happy2Play

Hi

I am a little confused, as usual. Are we talking two issues? 1) Multiple Album artists and 2) multiple artists on individual tracks? @@Happy2Playyour example seems to be number 2? I haven't looked at that yet but as far as Item 1.

It seems that the various tagging programs treat them a little differently. I use what ever Piicard gives me an despite a minor issue seems to produce the desired result.

On of the examples was the Chic Corea Bobby McFerrin album. Picard designates the album artist as Bobby McFerrin & Chic Corea . See Below

59e1345be720f_chic.png 

Artists tag will show them as Bobby McFerrin;Chic Corea.

​When emby processes it An album Artist "Bobby McFarrin & Chic Corea" is created with the album showing up under there. The album also show under McFarrin and Corea individually . This is what I would expect to happen. (Picard organizes it to c:\Bobby McFarrin & Chic Corea\ as the parent directory with the album underneath. In Genres the under is under three listings 

​Here is one example.

59e136bc0cae4_milt.png

It  is pretty typical in Jazz to have Multiple artists collaborate. Obviously art primary and background needs to be added manually. 

The only glitch is the app doesn't handle multiple artist id's separated by a : .

59e1386ed3561_miltandcole.png

If you click on MusicBrainz it errors because of the two ids.

-vicpa

Happy2Play

I believe the issue is what Artists are shown via genre.  If a Genre say Country has a track or album has multiple artists should they all show in Country Genre?  For me only Artists I have physical folders for show.

EduardoSantos

I think your audio tags are using ; to separate artists but I believe we are only supporting /.

So in the case, those big long entries with semi colon end to getting treated like one artist and that's why it doesn't look great.

Yes I am using ";" to separate artists. It pretty much works when they are just track artists.

If I search for an artist name Emby displays correct results including every album in which they take part (even not being the "album artist").

Problem, though, is when they are album artists.

I wonder if I use "/" instead of ";" I would not know how to name the album artist folder cause Windows does not allow "/" on folder names.

EduardoSantos

Ok so we do actually also split on semi-colons. When you set up this test environment did you have any old album nfo's hanging around?

No. It was a fresh install.

There were only the "nfos" from the two sample albuns and from the Album artist folder.

They are:

For the "Play" album:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<album>
  <review />
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2016-04-02 12:10:55</dateadded>
  <title>Play</title>
  <year>1990</year>
  <enddate>2016-04-02</enddate>
  <runtime>50</runtime>
  <genre>Jazz</genre>
  <musicbrainzalbumid>20f0024e-ea51-4726-9c07-39104946130e</musicbrainzalbumid>
  <musicbrainzreleasegroupid>23a27b93-3e97-3a2b-94fb-b0ef40c7ca93</musicbrainzreleasegroupid>
  <art>
    <poster>C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\Play\Cover.jpg</poster>
  </art>
  <artist>Bobby McFerrin</artist>
  <artist>Chick Corea</artist>
  <albumartist>Bobby McFerrin</albumartist>
  <albumartist>Chick Corea</albumartist>
  <track>
    <position>1</position>
    <title>Spain</title>
    <duration>10:12</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>2</position>
    <title>Even From Me</title>
    <duration>06:32</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>3</position>
    <title>Autumn Leaves</title>
    <duration>11:37</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>4</position>
    <title>Blues Connotation</title>
    <duration>07:10</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>5</position>
    <title>Round Midnight</title>
    <duration>07:59</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>6</position>
    <title>Blue Bossa</title>
    <duration>06:14</duration>
  </track>
</album>

For the "Mozart Sessions" album:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?><album>
  <review />
  <outline />
  <dateadded>2017-09-25 10:21:58</dateadded>
  <title>The Mozart Sessions</title>
  <year>1996</year>
  <runtime>67</runtime>
  <genre>Jazz Vocal</genre>
  <audiodbartistid>114567</audiodbartistid>
  <audiodbalbumid>2132055</audiodbalbumid>
  <musicbrainzalbumid>073de4b9-2487-4cc6-87e9-12fbfd5c995d</musicbrainzalbumid>
  <musicbrainzreleasegroupid>136d71d7-d911-3d0d-816e-3701b539df28</musicbrainzreleasegroupid>
  <art>
    <poster>C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\The Mozart Sessions\folder.jpg</poster>
  </art>
  <artist>The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra</artist>
  <track>
    <position>1</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.23 in A Major KV488 1: Prelude - Allegro</title>
    <duration>14:14</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>2</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.23 in A Major KV488 2: Adagio</title>
    <duration>07:14</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>3</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.23 in A Major KV488 3: Allegro Assai</title>
    <duration>08:23</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>4</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.20 in D Minor KV466 1: Prelude - Allegro</title>
    <duration>16:22</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>5</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.20 in D Minor KV466 2: Romance</title>
    <duration>09:00</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>6</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.20 in D Minor KV466 3: Rondo (Allegro Assai)</title>
    <duration>08:52</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>7</position>
    <title>Song For Amadeus - Improvisation on Sonata No.2 in F Major KV280-189E 2: Adagio</title>
    <duration>02:28</duration>
  </track>
</album>

For the Album artist folder:

<artist>
  <biography />
  <outline />
  <title>Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea</title>
  <runtime>116</runtime>
  <genre>Jazz</genre>
  <art>
    <poster>C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\folder.jpg</poster>
    <fanart>C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\fanart.jpg</fanart>
  </art>
  <disbanded>2016-04-02</disbanded>
  <album>
    <title>Play</title>
  </album>
  <album>
  </album>
</artist>
Edited by EduardoSantos

• Solution

Yes I am using ";" to separate artists. It pretty much works when they are just track artists.

If I search for an artist name Emby displays correct results including every album in which they take part (even not being the "album artist").

Problem, though, is when they are album artists.

I wonder if I use "/" instead of ";" I would not know how to name the album artist folder cause Windows does not allow "/" on folder names.

We don't care about the album artist folder name. The album artist is taken from embedded audio tags.

• Like 1

No. It was a fresh install.

There were only the "nfos" from the two sample albuns and from the Album artist folder.

They are:

For the "Play" album:

<album>
  <review />
  <outline />
  <title>Play</title>
  <year>1990</year>
  <runtime>50</runtime>
  <genre>Jazz</genre>
  <musicbrainzalbumid>20f0024e-ea51-4726-9c07-39104946130e</musicbrainzalbumid>
  <musicbrainzreleasegroupid>23a27b93-3e97-3a2b-94fb-b0ef40c7ca93</musicbrainzreleasegroupid>
  <art>
    <poster>C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\Play\Cover.jpg</poster>
  </art>
  <track>
    <position>1</position>
    <title>Spain</title>
    <duration>10:12</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>2</position>
    <title>Even From Me</title>
    <duration>06:32</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>3</position>
    <title>Autumn Leaves</title>
    <duration>11:37</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>4</position>
    <title>Blues Connotation</title>
    <duration>07:10</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>5</position>
    <title>Round Midnight</title>
    <duration>07:59</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>6</position>
    <title>Blue Bossa</title>
    <duration>06:14</duration>
  </track>
</album>

For the "Mozart Sessions" album:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?><album>
  <review />
  <outline />
  <dateadded>2017-09-25 10:21:58</dateadded>
  <year>1996</year>
  <runtime>67</runtime>
  <audiodbartistid>114567</audiodbartistid>
  <audiodbalbumid>2132055</audiodbalbumid>
  <musicbrainzalbumid>073de4b9-2487-4cc6-87e9-12fbfd5c995d</musicbrainzalbumid>
  <musicbrainzreleasegroupid>136d71d7-d911-3d0d-816e-3701b539df28</musicbrainzreleasegroupid>
  <art>
    <poster>C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\The Mozart Sessions\folder.jpg</poster>
  </art>
  <artist>The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra</artist>
  <track>
    <position>1</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.23 in A Major KV488 1: Prelude - Allegro</title>
    <duration>14:14</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>2</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.23 in A Major KV488 2: Adagio</title>
    <duration>07:14</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>3</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.23 in A Major KV488 3: Allegro Assai</title>
    <duration>08:23</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>4</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.20 in D Minor KV466 1: Prelude - Allegro</title>
    <duration>16:22</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>5</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.20 in D Minor KV466 2: Romance</title>
    <duration>09:00</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>6</position>
    <title>Piano Concerto No.20 in D Minor KV466 3: Rondo (Allegro Assai)</title>
    <duration>08:52</duration>
  </track>
  <track>
    <position>7</position>
    <title>Song For Amadeus - Improvisation on Sonata No.2 in F Major KV280-189E 2: Adagio</title>
    <duration>02:28</duration>
  </track>
</album>

For the Album artist folder:

<artist>
  <biography />
  <outline />
  <title>Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea</title>
  <runtime>116</runtime>
  <genre>Jazz</genre>
  <art>
    <poster>C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\folder.jpg</poster>
    <fanart>C:\Users\Public\Music\Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea\fanart.jpg</fanart>
  </art>
  <disbanded>2016-04-02</disbanded>
  <album>
    <title>Play</title>
  </album>
  <album>
  </album>
</artist>

So here is the issue. It looks like you brought along an old nfo containing an artist name of 

Bobby McFerrin; Chick Corea

The server does not split artist names within nfo's, it assumes they are already split.

So it looks to me what is happening is there is a defect in this nfo file, presumably created by a much older version of the server based on the date added value.